Turn on thread page Beta

what do u think about Metallica? watch

ReputationRep:
    RTL and Master are classic.

(Original post by You Failed)
    if they never made Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets, they'd be considered really mediocre.
    Uhhmmmm... but they did make them. It's like talking "If Slayer never made Reign In Blood, Hell Awaits, Show No Mercy, Seasons In The Abyss, Christ Illusion and South Of Heaven, they would be considered mediocre." It just doesn't make sense. Metallica made some of the best albums in the history of metal music, thus they're legends.

ReputationRep:
    I love the early proper thrashy stuff. MOP, RTL are both fantastic albums. St. Anger was ok - no as bad as all the critics/bandwagoners thought - and Death Magnetic was quite good better than St. Anger but not as good as their earlier releases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Also they absolutely destroyed both Brothers In Arms and Whiskey In The Jar.
    They....they covered Brothers in Arms..!? Oh god...

Don't get me wrong, I love some of Metallicas songs, but they are over-rated and it has really gone to their heads a bit..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    They're vastly over-rated, if they never made Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets, they'd be considered really mediocre. However they did and those three albums are nothing short of amazing, ...And Justice For All was also pretty decent and then the rest, like I already said, are fairly mediocre up until St.Anger which was just awful. Death Magnetic was alright, although again, nothing special.

So all in all, they've made some fantastic albums but the majority are just "alright".
    Kill Em' All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets & And Justice For All... were all incredible and not many bands can pull off being able to make four albums of such quality.

The Black Album was amazing, it gets a lot of hate just because of what Metallica was doing prior to it. If it had been their debut it would have been just as highly regarded as Master Of Puppets but it is reasonable to say that is a hard act to follow.

Load/Reload were good Rock albums, much better than the mainstream rock music that is brought out today. That said as with the Black Album it was because of what they had already done really brought everything after it down.

St.Anger I can't defend, it is not good. I don't mind it but I can't argue with the hate it gets.

Death Magnetic was good but has nothing on any of the last three Megadeth albums.

They are one of the most important bands of all time, without doubt one of the best live bands but they were just too good to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    They're pretty good live, never cared for any of their albums. From what I've heard St. Anger really is dire. xD

I can think of loads of bands that have at least 4 brilliant albums so I don't see how that makes them special; King Crimson, Enslaved, Ulver, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, The Beatles, Tangerine Dream...

ReputationRep:
    They do have stuff I tend to skip on shuffle, but then they've come out with some songs I loooovee, so overall I like them a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    Fade to black and For Whom the Bell Tolls are both great songs. Besides those songs I really don't listen to them much.
    Haha, same here... The rest of the songs are just kind of boring.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by James4d)
    They....they covered Brothers in Arms..!? Oh god...

Don't get me wrong, I love some of Metallicas songs, but they are over-rated and it has really gone to their heads a bit..
    If you value your sanity, I wouldn't try to listen to it.
    If Mark Knopfler were dead (let's hope he doesn't pop his clogs in the next 4 months, I payed good money for those tickets!) he'd be spinning in his grave at 1000rpm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Kill Em' All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets & And Justice For All... were all incredible and not many bands can pull off being able to make four albums of such quality.

The Black Album was amazing, it gets a lot of hate just because of what Metallica was doing prior to it. If it had been their debut it would have been just as highly regarded as Master Of Puppets but it is reasonable to say that is a hard act to follow.

Load/Reload were good Rock albums, much better than the mainstream rock music that is brought out today. That said as with the Black Album it was because of what they had already done really brought everything after it down.

St.Anger I can't defend, it is not good. I don't mind it but I can't argue with the hate it gets.

Death Magnetic was good but has nothing on any of the last three Megadeth albums.

They are one of the most important bands of all time, without doubt one of the best live bands but they were just too good to begin with.
    Good summary. I agree with it all.

Master of Puppets is my favourite album of all time. It's incredible, and the other 3 from their first 4 aren't much worse.

My favourite 5 songs are For Whom the Bell Tolls, Sanitarium, Fade to Black, Battery and Master of Puppets.

As for the Whiskey in the Jar debate...I'm a massive, massive fan of Thin Lizzy(my favourite band), but Metallica's cover doesn't disgrace it. Thin Lizzy's version is far better imo though.

ReputationRep:
    They're bearable, i'll give you that.

ReputationRep:
    Their early stuff truly is astoundingly awesome. Pretty much from the Black Album onwards though... :facepalm2: St. Anger simply makes me embarassed. They were epic in their day, but now they're just a really, really mediocre "metal" band.

(Original post by concubine)
    I can think of loads of bands that have at least 4 brilliant albums so I don't see how that makes them special; King Crimson, Enslaved, Ulver, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, The Beatles, Tangerine Dream...
    I love your taste. :coma:

People moan they are overrated but they really aren't. They haven't just done loads for thrash and metal in general,but also tonnes for the emergence of new sub-genres.
    Easiliest the best band I have ever seen live,with the possible exception of Exodus and Rage.
    They had a few iffy periods between '91 and '03 but Death Magnetic is a step back in the right direction, I mean its no Ride The Lightning or Kill 'Em All but it still rocks.
    Nonetheless Metallica remain for me just pure great.

ReputationRep:
    LOVE them.
    Amazing live.

ReputationRep:
    From their debut to their fifth album they managed to create four of the best metal albums of all time and then bring metal to the masses with their fifth being the best selling metal album of all time. Every band you have listed aside from The Beatles have not had a fraction of the impact that Metallica have had on music.

ReputationRep:
    Love their music, hate their attitude towards piracy. They're a hugely successful band, a few downloads isn't going to dent their income. **** off with the anti-piracy ********.
    I have all their albums, illegally downloaded of course.

ReputationRep:
    I think they've got a few awesome songs, lots of mediocre songs and a few crap ones.

Heard all of their albums but I was just never quite fully convinced. :/
    Doesn't help that they're incredibly over-rated as others have said here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    From their debut to their fifth album they managed to create four of the best metal albums of all time and then bring metal to the masses with their fifth being the best selling metal album of all time. Every band you have listed aside from The Beatles have not had a fraction of the impact that Metallica have had on music.

King Crimson didn't have a fraction of the impact Metallica did? Okay...

High sales = good music? Okay...

Four of the best metal albums? luls, okay, whatever you say. I wouldn't even put those four in the best thrash albums of all time, let alone all metal.

(Original post by ParadigmShift)

I love your taste. :coma:
    Let's get married and live in an igloo.

ReputationRep:
    Metallica are legendary.

ReputationRep:
    King Crimson didn't have a fraction of the impact Metallica did? Okay...

High sales = good music? Okay...

Four of the best metal albums? luls, okay, whatever you say. I wouldn't even put those four in the best thrash albums of all time, let alone all metal.
    Should have excluded King Crimson with The Beatles.

When did I say high sales meant good music? Their fifth album is a great album but it is important because it brought metal to the masses.

Those four albums along with Slayers & Megadeths releases at the time defined what Thrash is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)

Your point would be valid if they were just regarded as one of the best "Metal/Rock" bands, however they're regarded as one of the best "Thrash Metal" bands, so the fact that Load and Reload were only mediocre (if even) Thrash albums still stands. It doesn't matter if they were good Rock albums the fact is, they were mediocre thrash albums.

If they had of debuted with the black album, they would be nowhere near as highly regarded and to argue otherwise is ridiculous. They would be regarded as "Good / Average", the only reason that they're still currently regarded as so good is purely because of those first 4 albums which helped pioneer the entire Thrash genre. Sure the black album was decent but like I said, it wasn't outstanding and it certainly wasn't innovative.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.