Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what do u think about Metallica? watch

ReputationRep:
    Should've retired long ago, brilliant band in their day though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    The first four albums helped define a genre of music that emerged to a mass audience after their fifth album. The genre was Thrash metal although numerous other sub-genres can be found in their work. This is why they are one of the most important thrash bands of all time.

They could have then gone on to have Britney Spears as their singer if they wanted, it would not have taken away from what they had done.

Also you do seem to forget that releasing music is just one part of a band. They still play thrash metal in concert so they are still a thrash metal band.
    Yeah I don't disagree, the thing is when you say "xxx band is great" you're automatically including every album they have made. That's why the distinction needs to be made between their good albums and the rest of their work. I don't think I could define them as one of the greatest thrash BANDS for this reason because by saying band I'm automatically including all their albums, the majority of which are just average, I would still happily say that they've made some of the best thrash ALBUMS.

Your 2nd point about gigs and stuff is pretty valid, I can't argue against that.

ReputationRep:
    Completely overrated and should probably give the game up now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    If you value your sanity, I wouldn't try to listen to it.
    If Mark Knopfler were dead (let's hope he doesn't pop his clogs in the next 4 months, I payed good money for those tickets!) he'd be spinning in his grave at 1000rpm.
    Ok...curiosity got the better of me I had to give it a listen...at first I thought 'ok..its not that bad', then the precussion and bass kicked in and....oh god..I got out of there as fast as I could. You have to wonder whether the original artists listen to the covers before giving permission for the songs to be recorded/performed..

And you lucky git for seeing Knopfler live! ><
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by James4d)
    Ok...curiosity got the better of me I had to give it a listen...at first I thought 'ok..its not that bad', then the precussion and bass kicked in and....oh god..I got out of there as fast as I could. You have to wonder whether the original artists listen to the covers before giving permission for the songs to be recorded/performed..

And you lucky git for seeing Knopfler live! ><
    Yeah...I'm very much surprised that Mark let that cover pass. I doubt he needed the money!

And yeah, I was quite lucky. I guess you could try and get tickets, the MEN wasn't sold out last saturday (not quite anyway) I've no idea if that'd be a massive trek for you though.
    I've basically taken the attitude that I WILL see Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton and if I'm really lucky, David Gilmour play live before they either die or retire forever. it'll be expensive to see Clapton, but definately worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Yeah...I'm very much surprised that Mark let that cover pass. I doubt he needed the money!

And yeah, I was quite lucky. I guess you could try and get tickets, the MEN wasn't sold out last saturday (not quite anyway) I've no idea if that'd be a massive trek for you though.
    I've basically taken the attitude that I WILL see Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton and if I'm really lucky, David Gilmour play live before they either die or retire forever. it'll be expensive to see Clapton, but definitely worth it!
    Good goal. As a student living abroad, it would be pretty hard for me to see them...its hard to see most bands live. I saw Muse a few weeks ago. 100 quid ticket and a night in Barcelona, but so dam worth it! Let me know how epic the concert is

ReputationRep:
    One of the most overrated bands of our era.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by James4d)
    Good goal. As a student living abroad, it would be pretty hard for me to see them...its hard to see most bands live. I saw Muse a few weeks ago. 100 quid ticket and a night in Barcelona, but so dam worth it! Let me know how epic the concert is
    will do

*finds somewhere to make a note of your username*

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.