Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does the Special K two week diet work? watch

Announcements

I've been wondering this for a few weeks now, I aim on losing about 2 and a half stone over the next few months and my friend's on the SK 2 week diet (not that she needs to, she's a size 8 as it is!)

Has anyone had any experience with this or is currently on the diet at the moment?
    Thanks for sharing

ReputationRep:
    havent tried it but one of my friends has....didnt help her

ReputationRep:
    Tried it for a day and a half..got tired of it;its a boring diet

ReputationRep:
    You mean the Special K two week diet, as promoted by the producers of Special K?

God, I weep for humanity.

ReputationRep:
    sure it will work, for the two weeks you are on it (but then again any 'diet' would work if you were hardly eating any cals) but as soon as you go back to eating normal again the weight would go back on

how about trying it the way sensible people do - good diet and exercise

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, but Special K is so beaut you should do it anyway. Special K is so expensive though, my mum won't even buy it, I have to buy it myself if I want it.

ReputationRep:
    I eat it cause it tastes nice... it hasnt altered my weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxannabelle)
    I've been wondering this for a few weeks now, I aim on losing about 2 and a half stone over the next few months and my friend's on the SK 2 week diet (not that she needs to, she's a size 8 as it is!)

Has anyone had any experience with this or is currently on the diet at the moment?
    Thanks for sharing
    Hey.

If you look into the diet, it is only suitable for severely obese people so their advertising campaign is totally misleading and unfair. It is only recommended for people with a certain BMI so you need to read the small print if you want to try it.

I am happy with my weight (I'm 5"11 and weigh 10 and a half stone) but last summer, I thought I'd try it out of curiosity as I wanted to lose a few pounds before my summer holiday.

It didn't work. I was constantly hungry, it's really expensive cereal for what it actually is (I found it to taste like bark or sawdust with random bits of dried fruit in it) and I felt ill because I was hungry all the time. You can snack on the Kellogs bars but there's hardly anything in them!

I wouldn't suggest you go on this diet. There are plenty of other, far better options on the market. You can do an excercise DVD which is fun and more private than a gym and alot of them now include diet plans. Alternatively, I think it's free to sign up to Weight Watchers at the moment (if you're really desperate to lose weight!).

Hope this helps! :yep:

EDIT: This is the thread I posted last year and the responses to it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post13217432

ReputationRep:
    marketing ploy for fat stupid women

ReputationRep:
    yeah cos the portions are tiny and for this reason you're likely to overeat with your one normal meal. I wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    marketing ploy for fat stupid women
    Slightly harsh to refer to women looking to lose weight and trusting a product's advertising as "fat" and "stupid"...

Yes, the marketing is clever and deceptive but just because women are curious and willing to try anything, it doesn't make them stupid.

(Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Hey.

If you look into the diet, it is only suitable for severely obese people so their advertising campaign is totally misleading and unfair. It is only recommended for people with a certain BMI so you need to read the small print if you want to try it.
    I checked my BMI on their site earlier and I'm just over 25. So I'm gonna go ahead and try it out and see what the outcome is.
    Thanks for your info though!

ReputationRep:
    havent tried it- dont need to lose - but look on google or something
    eg. http://www.ehow.com/how_2050499_lose...real-diet.html
    i think you can use any cereal really, as long as its healthy i think the idea is that you lose weight because you are making one of your meals much smaller so less calories

whether it works or not will depend on how much you eat compared to how much you eat now, and how overweight you are. exercise should help lose weight? but saying that makes me a hypocrite so, it's up to you. but if you put the effort in you should see results

ReputationRep:
    im doing it but completly ignoring the rules: i have about 60g for each meal, and use skimmed milk. ive been doing it for 3 days now - except yesterday lunchtime cos i couldnt take any with me, so made a salad at work with no dressing - and if my scales are to be believed, have dropped about 5 pounds. do it, but be sensible - 30g isnt gonna be enough to make you full and will defs make you over-compensate your evening meal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxannabelle)
    I checked my BMI on their site earlier and I'm just over 25. So I'm gonna go ahead and try it out and see what the outcome is.
    Thanks for your info though!
    Good luck, I think you should try other cereals too that are healthy, like high fibre ones - All bran? You could put fruit in to make it nicer. Remember to use milk because of the protein.

Wow, I give much better health advice than I use. I've been eating crisps, chocolate, and ready meals most of the day. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's like the crunchy nut 'diet'. If you eat 2 bowls of cereal + one proper meal a day, you're gonna lose weight if that's less than what you normally eat. It's nothing to do with the cereal itself, I don't think.

But yeah, it does work. I accidentally lose weight every so often when my addiction to crunchy nut comes back because I eat less of the food I normally eat and scoff on cereal instead XD

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it works pretty well for Kellogs.

(Original post by Lasuil)
    im doing it but completly ignoring the rules: i have about 60g for each meal, and use skimmed milk. ive been doing it for 3 days now - except yesterday lunchtime cos i couldnt take any with me, so made a salad at work with no dressing - and if my scales are to be believed, have dropped about 5 pounds. do it, but be sensible - 30g isnt gonna be enough to make you full and will defs make you over-compensate your evening meal.
    Its good to see that it's working well for you I think that using 60g is a better idea than 30g but I don't think I'd go as far as that, probably about 45g instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Slightly harsh to refer to women looking to lose weight and trusting a product's advertising as "fat" and "stupid"...

Yes, the marketing is clever and deceptive but just because women are curious and willing to try anything, it doesn't make them stupid.
    it clearly does because if they were inteligent they would have known about better diets , thus lack of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    It's like the crunchy nut 'diet'. If you eat 2 bowls of cereal + one proper meal a day, you're gonna lose weight if that's less than what you normally eat. It's nothing to do with the cereal itself, I don't think.
    This :yep:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.