Turn on thread page Beta

Does the Special K two week diet work? watch

ReputationRep:
    cereal diets are not good, you average portion is about 30g which is you measure it out is NOTHING, most people have quadrupole that! i would not recommend it for loosing 2 1/2 stone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reikazen)
    it clearly does because if they were inteligent they would have known about better diets , thus lack of intelligence.
    Right, I can tell you're a pioneer of intelligence yourself. Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Right, I can tell you're a pioneer of intelligence yourself. Congratulations.
    What person with intelligence would think two small portions of expensive refined cereals for 2 meals, for 2 weeks was a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    lol @ getting a neg for my post, OP clearly cant take opinions

ReputationRep:
    My friend has tried it, didn't work for her.

ReputationRep:
    no does it balls
    its the same as any other cereal, just an advertising ploy. obviously if all you eat all day apart from tea is two bowls of cereal, you are going to lose weight, if said tea is reasonable obviously, no matter what cereal it is.
    the best diet cereal is sugar free alpen

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be more specific as to who this actually works for:

You - No

Special K's sales - Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    no does it balls
    its the same as any other cereal, just an advertising ploy. obviously if all you eat all day apart from tea is two bowls of cereal, you are going to lose weight, if said tea is reasonable obviously, no matter what cereal it is.
    the best diet cereal is sugar free alpen
    guess again.

the best diet cereal is porridge

made with water

add sweetener for sweetness, i use tablets as they don't need maltodextrin to bulk it up.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to eat cereal twice a day everyday?

Technically yes. I find that it doesn't fill you up though so you need to snack in order to stop being shaky. Then you eat normal food after two weeks and it'll pile back on. It's basically starving yourself by eating food with empty calories! Gym + eating healthily, there's no miracle diet with long-lasting effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    guess again.

the best diet cereal is porridge

made with water

add sweetener for sweetness, i use tablets as they don't need maltodextrin to bulk it up.
    i said the best diet cereal. i wasnt claiming it was the lowest calorie or anything, but its a diet cereal and imo the nicest... most effective without going to ridiculous measures and eating cereal with water :puke:

ReputationRep:
    i said the best diet cereal. i wasnt claiming it was the lowest calorie or anything, but its a diet cereal and imo the nicest... most effective without going to ridiculous measures and eating cereal with water :puke:
    I do

but then I am very lean

ReputationRep:
    I love Special K. It would be the perfect diet for me, however it's expensive, and well I love other foods too much to give them up.

ReputationRep:
    The one when you have SK for breakfast and lunch? Yes, I persume it will work, cereal for two of your three meals. Don't forget to swap those treates for SK snacks too! It'll only work if you don't nibble inbetween meals which is inevitable seeing as you are only having cereal for two of them. Seriously just stick to the age old, healthy eating, occasional treat and exercise.

ReputationRep:
    It works because you're essentially starving yourself.
    And it works for those two weeks, until you start eating properly again.
    Plus, your body will be missing out on some fairly important nutrients.

Nothing like a good, healthy, balanced diet

Porridge with water is absolutely fine; you can't really notice a difference because it thickens up being mixed with liquid, not necessarily milk.
    And tbh., when I used to eat cereal, I quite regularly mixed half-milk and half-water. You still got the milky taste, but it was less calorific.

And I wouldn't say that porridge is the lowest calorie, either - but it's by far the best in terms of being healthiest and filling you up - so you won't snack during the day.

Alpen is quite good, but it's nowhere near as good as porridge, in terms of slow-releasing carbs.
    And although it does contain less sugar, sugar-free products tend to be more processed (so it can claim to be sugar-free) in which in turn makes it worse for you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't tried it and don't know anyone who has tried it but it is blatantly unhealthy to lose weight like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxannabelle)
    I've been wondering this for a few weeks now, I aim on losing about 2 and a half stone over the next few months and my friend's on the SK 2 week diet (not that she needs to, she's a size 8 as it is!)

Has anyone had any experience with this or is currently on the diet at the moment?
    Thanks for sharing
    I'm pretty sure the only way this works is by depriving you of any kind of nutrition whatsoever. I would've said just eating a lot less refined carbs and saturated fat and a lot more vegetables would do a hell of a lot more for you. The SK thing wouldn't be sustainable at all whereas just changing your lifestyle is. Everyone says this, but it's because other than really radical solutions, this is really the only thing that's healthy and works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    It works because you're essentially starving yourself.
    And it works for those two weeks, until you start eating properly again.
    Plus, your body will be missing out on some fairly important nutrients.

Nothing like a good, healthy, balanced diet
    :ditto:

I'd be too hungry, I usually eat 3 times the amount of cereal they recommend and two proper sized meals the rest of the day. I don't see how anyone can eat 30g of cereal and be fine till lunch time :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxannabelle)
    I've been wondering this for a few weeks now, I aim on losing about 2 and a half stone over the next few months and my friend's on the SK 2 week diet (not that she needs to, she's a size 8 as it is!)

Has anyone had any experience with this or is currently on the diet at the moment?
    Thanks for sharing
    Well, it works. For 2 weeks. You end up really cranky and irritable as a result of fluctuating sugar levels (it's packed full of sugar) plus still being hungry on top of that.
    Then once you come off it, you put the weight straight back on.

If you want to look good for one specific event then it does work. But to generally lose and keep off weight it's not a good idea.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.