Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    COMPLETELY WRONG SECTION SORRY

So I'm in year 12, and had originally planned to do English Lit, but on a stupid whim I changed my choice

So anyway Lit is my favourite subject by far and it's what I'd want to do at uni (I really couldn't imagine doing anything else) but I was wondering if there are any universities that don't require it at A-level?

All I know was that for this year Essex were letting people do it with a foundation year for people who don't have the A-level, making it a four year course, which I'd totally be cool with, but I don't know if they'd do it next year when I apply

Or is there anything else I can do? Like could taking it up for AS during year 13 help? Is there any way around this? Kind've been beating myself up

Thanks guys, sorry if this makes no sense, basically I just want to study Lit at Uni but don't have the relevant A-level, because I'm an idiot

ReputationRep:
    strong forum choice

ReputationRep:
    Hmm? Sorry if this is in the wrong place too, anyone know where it's supposed to be?

ReputationRep:
    No. You need to do English at A-Level. Sorry. Perhaps you can do it now??? Ask your teacher if you can join now though it may be too late.

ReputationRep:
    English Lit at uni without the A Level.
    Posted under 'Basic Car Maintenance.'

You're really not good at making choices are you?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh crap, motoring? Damnit, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom-S)
    Hmm? Sorry if this is in the wrong place too, anyone know where it's supposed to be?
    Not in the motoring section, love. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinetik)
    Are you sure you want to do English somewhere like Essex?
    Before I get accused of snobbery...English is a competitive, non-vocational course. If you come out with 4 years worth of debts, you want a degree that will make a prospective employer want you. At my school they advise us to be careful how we choose our unis when applying for subjects such as english, history and theology.

Would you be really opposed to taking a gap year?
    No, I guess not lol

So you think I should take a gap year and do the A-level at college or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom-S)
    No, I guess not lol

So you think I should take a gap year and do the A-level at college or something?
    Well, what I would do, is talk to your college and see about doing the AS next year, as well as 2 or 3 A levels, which will be hard work but doable. Then take the A2 in a gap year, and apply in it. Or see if you can do just the A2 for a third year of college. If you do 3 a levels, and get good grades in them, then you will probably be in a better position offer-wise than most people, so who knows maybe your indecisiveness will pay off?

Out of interest, if English is such a passion of yours, howcome you didn't choose it?

ReputationRep:
    Pick it up next year and take an extra year to do the A2.

Make sure you do something else during your gap year too though. Obviously try getting a part time job and perhaps do lots of volunteering, perhaps start learning a new language and do loads of extra curricular activities so it looks like the year was worth it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Lol is their a reason why this is in the motoring forum?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I made exactly this same mistake with physics, no need to worry, just take it up as an AS next year and make arrangements to complete the A level and apply to universities in your gap year :yep:
    I've actually enjoyed doing things this way...bit of a break from formal schooling before uni, chance to earn some money if you want to and you'll have a good idea of what unis to aim for...for example if you get AA or AAA next year you'll know you can aim for places with higher offers...or if you get BC or BCC you know you can choose from places making offers in that band :dontknow: applying to uni this year has been a lot less stressful than it was last year :yep: and I'm quite looking forward to doing my course now...whereas the thought of doing maths was terrifying me
    Talk to your tutors and find out what the best way to arrange all this is...I got in a right mess with my subjects, but it could work out fairly smoothly if you know what you're doing in advance, I reckon taking your 4AS's and then 3Alevels and the english lit AS in year 13 would probably work out best, but depends on what subjects you're doing and what advice your tutors give

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinetik)
    Well, what I would do, is talk to your college and see about doing the AS next year, as well as 2 or 3 A levels, which will be hard work but doable. Then take the A2 in a gap year, and apply in it. Or see if you can do just the A2 for a third year of college. If you do 3 a levels, and get good grades in them, then you will probably be in a better position offer-wise than most people, so who knows maybe your indecisiveness will pay off?

Out of interest, if English is such a passion of yours, howcome you didn't choose it?
    Thanks Kinetik, and everyone else, pretty sure I'll do this

And I didn't think it would fit with all my other subjects, but at the last minute they said it could, but by that time I had already planned to take economics instead and was excited for that and just made a mess of it all really lol

And to yoyo I was looking at the English and motoring forums at the same time, got them confused, ended up making a complete ass of myself

Also, I'm guessing yes, but if I take the A2 in a gap year at college I'll have to pay right? How much am I looking at? Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.