Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Using this girl as a role model..is there anything wrong with this? watch

Ok this might sound odd as Im in my twenties but Ive sort of always looked up to this girl as a role model (im female). We were never friends she was far to popular for me I was very quiet, barely spoke a word, shy the nerdy type and she was the outgoing fun loving sports type with lots of friends.

I think she sort of disliked me a bit although I never gave her reason too she was always the best in our year at cross country and I had joined a swimming/sports club and was getting better at running so around cross country time she went round asking everyone what time I got and people said she was p***** off but I never actually beat her time. I heard that she also wanted to join the swimming/running club (apparantly she had started going before me) I went to and everytime I walked past her she'd ask if I still went people said that she wouldn't go cause I was there for some reason. Ive no idea if it was on pupose or not but I was walking down a lane/street once and a car was stopped so I just walked behind it and it suddenly revved up, nearly hit me then stopped lol. I was walking with a friend and she shouted out 'idiot' but then I looked who was driving and it was this girl!

Anyway despite all this I kind of look up to her personality shes so confident and everyone around her likes her. I found out through facebook that shes done the degree (radiography) that I am about to start and Im sort of using her as my role model:confused: I don't get it she added me on facebook 2 weeks ago (obv just to be nosy) and Im concerned that she might think 'oh no now shes copying my career' or something. Its just Ive always been the anxious type (panic attacks etc) and admire her confidence but at the same time feel weird for secretly looking up to her. As odd as it sounds I feel like I can use her as an inspiration shes one of those who always seems happy I just want to be more like that.

Also do any of you do this?

ReputationRep:
    Yes your annoying and she's a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youfat*******)
    Yes your annoying and she's a *****
    Quiet.

Anyway, no nothing wrong with looking up to a person. I have several role models, different ones for different parts of my life. As long as it doesn't become an unreasonable 'crush' or obsession its perfectly normal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are better role models. But it is slightly strange.

Just don't let it turn into stalkerish relationship

ReputationRep:
    Obviously nothing wrong. she's a ***** as above. what else to say?

If she gets more pissed, delete her on facebook, your not friends anyway.

ReputationRep:
    you both sound a bit loserish...
    You sound freakily obsessive and she just sounds like a rude, foolish child.

ReputationRep:
    Very true point that was made, delete her on facebook, why would you want her as a friend? I don't want to be harsh but the girl doesn't like you and never will - ffs she could've injured you! Look up to somebody more worthwhile and pull yourself together. You're clearly far better than this ****.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it, I do it all the time
    However, do you really want to be like this girl? She sounds like a stuck up ***** tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Er, my role models tend to nice people. Not *****es.

ReputationRep:
    wtf noo of course it isnt a good thing

she sounds like an absolute ***** surely there are equally confident people you know that arent *****es that you could look up to - it appears that you've disregarded all her vices for the rather flimsy virtue of confidence

im astounded that you still think so highly of her when shes done such horrid things and to use such a strong word as 'idol' i find is really perplexing

to end im going to finish with one of my favourite emoticons :holmes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.