Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it not sexiest to offer females cheaper car insurance? watch

ReputationRep:
    Go tell that to the 18 year old boy racers in their ricer cars who "drive well fast mate cuz their frends r in da car arnt dey?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    I was wondering who else would comment on that hehe :p:

In answer to the OP, it's based on risk profiles. Insurance companies couldn't function with them, and they have evidence that young males who have only recently passed are most likely to have expensive accidents. It's just business.:rolleyes:
    Statistics are easy to play with.

I can say that the bell curve (the book) shows that black people are more likely to have a lower IQ then white or asians, ergo be a lower class (various other figures will show this too). Figures also show that poorer people/lower classes are more likely to contract illnesses/die then the rich. Can i then offer a "non-blacks" health insurance policy? (Assuming, of course that we had privatised healthcare instead of the NHS.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    *Sniff* :dry:
    Gotta love it!

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski91)
    No. Because statistically males have more accidents, so should have to pay more on their insurance. It's nothing to do with that thing between your legs.

However, what annoys me is that women have women's only car insurance, but if there was a men's only car insurance all the feminists would be up in arms crying about it.
    Ok, but I'm sure you can draw the same conclusions with white/black/asian people.. so if black people have less accidents, would they eb allowed to make it cheaper for black people?

ReputationRep:
    It would be more sexist for safer female drivers to be forced to subsidise risk-taking moronic teenage boys in Skodas. At least this "discrimination" forces each group to pay premiums reflecting their costs. More preferable to one that forces women to practically give money to men.

ReputationRep:
    Sexiest? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    I see your point, but if you go from there, insurances should be allowed to discriminate on the basis of ethnic background as well provided they have relevant statistics... and that is surely not going to happen because the public outcry would be enormous.
    I would like to know if this happens. And if it doesn't then when I make my millions I shall start an insurer that does, and when the riots start just point to a big poster of Sheilas Wheels.

Although I do wonder if women are actually 'safer' drivers, or just drive less of the total miles. And if they are safer if it is a behavioural thing or an evolutionary thing.

ReputationRep:
    I read that once women get over the age of say 50 ,their insurance premiums go up for similar reasons that young lads get higher premiums, women go a bit dotty,but that never gets talked about .I can see the argument as a male for why it's discrimination but then again I can see why the insurance companies do it.

To be honest I get more upset about insurance premiums rising because of all the ambulance chasing and whiplash claims and uninsured drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Gotta love it!

:p:
    I see what you did there, very cunning! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supfresh.)
    Sexiest you say?
    It's the sexiest thing around.

In all seriousness, you can't blame them for going with statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Ok, but I'm sure you can draw the same conclusions with white/black/asian people.. so if black people have less accidents, would they eb allowed to make it cheaper for black people?
    I know what you mean, but honestly, I wouldn't say that it's sexism one bit.
    It's all to do with statistics and accident rates. I would imagine that when insurance first came around the prices were pretty much the same for males and females, but over time male premiums have risen due to the higher accident rate.
    Nor would I say, for example, black people getting cheaper insurance than white people is racism because of the UK being the centre of equality and all that ********. Or young people getting cheaper insurance than older people, though I don't think the older would particularly care that much.
    Of course if white people got insurance cheaper than black people then it'd be "racist", just like I'm sure if males having a male only insurance company would be "sexist".

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yXSx5ltW-0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski91)
    No. Because statistically males have more accidents, so should have to pay more on their insurance. It's nothing to do with that thing between your legs.

However, what annoys me is that women have women's only car insurance, but if there was a men's only car insurance all the feminists would be up in arms crying about it.
    Men can still get insurance from them. My friend's dad was insured by the Sheila's Wheels one.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine there is statistical evidence that men are more dangerous drivers than women

I'd imagine it's sort of for the same reasons that you'll have cheaper insurance if you have several years no-claims, as this would seem to make you a better driver

Yeah it's kinda sexist, but it's true
    It's not like they're selling cars cheaper if you're female

ReputationRep:
    Chinese should have to pay higher insurance the, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshJGordon)
    And if they are safer if it is a behavioural thing or an evolutionary thing.
    What is this distinction supposed to be? Surely the received wisdom would be that a (subset of a) species evolves to have particular behaviours. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    prehaps girls are just better drivers? :P

ReputationRep:
    isnt' women's car insurance lower because they have/cause less accidents and so are less of a risk?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by crrrrrash)
    I'd imagine there is statistical evidence that men are more dangerous drivers than women

I'd imagine it's sort of for the same reasons that you'll have cheaper insurance if you have several years no-claims, as this would seem to make you a better driver

Yeah it's kinda sexist, but it's true
    It's not like they're selling cars cheaper if you're female
    Since insurance is a legal requirement you could technically say they are :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Its just plain stupid if you ask me...

i mean women can't drive

(i joke tsr, calm down )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.