Turn on thread page Beta

Is it not sexiest to offer females cheaper car insurance? watch

ReputationRep:
    Title fail!!

So is it also wrong for them to charge more to people in rougher areas where theft and damage is more likely given that these people are likely to be poorer and can't afford to live in better areas?

No. It isn't. Same goes for charging men more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    It would be more sexist for safer female drivers to be forced to subsidise risk-taking moronic teenage boys in Skodas. At least this "discrimination" forces each group to pay premiums reflecting their costs. More preferable to one that forces women to practically give money to men.
    I can tell you that it is equally unfair to force me to subsidise the risk-taking moronic teenage boys in Skodas... just because i am male

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaGianni)
    You seem to be forgetting something; sexism only applies when it is males that stand to gain from it.
    Using your analogy, racism doesn't exist if it's directed towards racial majority (e.g. discrimination against white people in UK)

Something's telling me you're doin' it wrong :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah...it's well sexy hehehehehehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    But sexism is always, constantly taken less seriously than racism.
    Not really. People always make casual racist remarks against Jews being careful with their money, indians being doctors and talking with weird accents, chinese being super smart, blacks having bigger diks than whites and gingers being *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakethomas991)
    I wish I was none-white. I could scream racist and get what ever I wanted.
    thats just not what happens. grow up

ReputationRep:
    yes but at the same time people that live in london will have to pay more than say someone who lives in the countryside. people that statistically cost the insurance company more have to pay more. and thats it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Go tell that to the 18 year old boy racers in their ricer cars who "drive well fast mate cuz their frends r in da car arnt dey?"
    and wat is rong wit dat bruv? :confused: i go fasta den kezz and dan nd dat makes me fastest sickkest bruva in ma ends man. and kezz is wel fast yo, lyk hundred thru twn init.

--

I would defend this so-called sexism on fair-business grounds but then I remembered how it is unfair and illegal to choose to employ a man over a young woman even though there is a statistically much higher chance she'll take maternity leave and cost the business a bomb. :hmmm:

It's also illegal to discriminate on grounds of race, disability and some other things when it comes to insurance.

It looks like the law needs some consistency. Either scrap discrimination laws and allow racial / gender-wise price increases, and employment of men for fear of maternity leave; or make this illegal too.

Mind you, I haven't put much thought into this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adsy)
    Using your analogy, racism doesn't exist if it's directed towards racial majority (e.g. discrimination against white people in UK)
    Sounds familiar, no?

ReputationRep:
    LOVIN iT !

ReputationRep:
    You'd think they'd be charged more for their rate of causing accidents: now that's good business.

ReputationRep:
    Well... I would consider it fair if females have statistically less chance of expensive accidents etc. Which is probably true. However, as others have said, surely if this is acceptable for different genders, then there should be different insurance rates for each race? But that isn't the case. So yeah, seems like double standards to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJW)
    So is it also wrong for them to charge more to people in rougher areas where theft and damage is more likely given that these people are likely to be poorer and can't afford to live in better areas?

No. It isn't. Same goes for charging men more.
    No because you have a choice about where you live.

The whole point of anti-discrimination policy is that its wrong to make decisions based on stererotypes, and phrases like "statistically more likely" are complete ********. You'r either more likely to do something or you're not.

I don't have a chocie about being male, so I don't see why I should have to pay more car insurance than an equivalent female driver when I'm no more likely to crash than she is, just because a minority of morons skew the statistics.

It's discriminatory because it's based on a stereotype of all young men being boy racers. Imagine if it was the other way round because some girls are "rubbish drivers", so every female has to pay more.

Charging young inexperienced drivers more than older inexperienced drivers is ageist; that should be banned as well.

ReputationRep:
    Females should pay more to the NHS to cover childbirth costs \o/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    they can offer what they want to whomever they please.
    get a ******* life.
    stfu

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its sexist but I think it's somewhat ironic because more women on the roads these days cannot drive

ReputationRep:
    I have no complaints. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Its acceptable because its unlike most gender discriminations, this favours women. So in a way, this sort of even things up a bit for the centuries of discrimination that women have suffered.
    Yeah, it negatively discriminates against men, thus sexist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adsy)

Something's telling me you're doin' it wrong :woo:
    It was obviously a critique of the fact that sexism towards men (read: everything that has ever come from harriet harperson's mouth) is largely seen as acceptable whereas if the same remarks were made about women it would be a national scandal.

As for the insurance thing - women have cheaper accidents, they actually have more per mile travelled based on what I've read, but with a lower average cost, meaning that they're less likely to claim on insurance. Also, men tend to do more miles than women - ergo more chance to crash and more expensive insurance.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.