Turn on thread page Beta

Being a student of medical biochemistry myself, I feel really stupid in having to post such a thread.

But, recently I've gained about 10lbs in weight. I'm walking more than ever and I can't say that my eating habits have changed.
    Over Christmas holidays I had a light brown discharge about a week before my due period. But I had my period as normal, and had another since (slightly lighter).
    I am however on the contraceptive pill which deems itself to be 99.9% accurate. I have stupidly forgotten to take one now and again, but I didn't think it would be enough to drop the effectiveness of the pill.
    I've also become highly emotional lately, getting upset randomly. I'm not suffering from depression, I'm very happy most of the time.

My weight gain seems to be due to swelling in the abdominal area.

Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this?

p.s I'd go to my doctor but I'm away at university.

Get. A. Test.

Your symptoms could be several things as I'm sure you know, save yourself the stress and take a test. Boots sell 2 for £5 - come on. £2.50 for piece of mind? Yespleasethankyou.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you're at uni doesnt mean you cant go to a doctor. Did you not get signed up to one during freshers? Even if you didnt you can pop in and fill in a temporary patient form. Do it tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been on the pill for? This happened to me about after being on the pill for about 4-5 months. I gained weight, my boobs got bigger, weird periods and crazy mood swings. I did panic about pregnancy, but I took a test and it was neg. All of the things you've mentioned can be side effects from the pill. Take a test. :yes:

I'm pretty sure it's not a side effect of the pill as I've been on it now for two and a half years with no side effects.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you haven't just bought a test. Why do you need a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    Just buy the stick and piss on it!

I will, but I wanted to know how likely it is to be pregnant given the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Your life is ruined.

If you get an abortion be prepared to live with the weight of a dead baby on your shoulders

ReputationRep:
    yeah as everybody else has said, get a test!

and because you havent taken your pill as regularly as you should have, there is definitely an increased chance of you being pregnant!

ReputationRep:
    if you've only missed a couple and they weren't too close together the chances are slim. Surely you can tell if it's just a thick layer of fat or if the wall has actually moved out?

Wouldn't have a clue how to tell.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you've had a period, you probably aren't pregnant. Obviously get a test just in case, but I'm sure it's nothing. Might just be funny hormones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reisen)
    if you've only missed a couple and they weren't too close together the chances are slim. Surely you can tell if it's just a thick layer of fat or if the wall has actually moved out?
    I presume your talking about her stomach? In which case, I doubt it, unless you've been pregnant before I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference compared to an epic case of bloating/gas/water retention/just fat, especially so early on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    I presume your talking about her stomach? In which case, I doubt it, unless you've been pregnant before I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference compared to an epic case of bloating/gas/water retention/just fat, especially so early on.
    well when i put on weight I can tell it's fat cos I can grab hold of more. I think if you know your own body you'd know whether there was a thicker layer of fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reisen)
    well when i put on weight I can tell it's fat cos I can grab hold of more. I think if you know your own body you'd know whether there was a thicker layer of fat.
    That doesn't explain bloating or anything else that can make your stomach swell though. I know my stomach tends to go rock hard with that, which, by your logic, would make the OP scared to death and think she's pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how long it's been going on for. I don't think the OP is pregnant because she's been having periods so yeah, I guess it must be some sort of bloating although i've never experienced bloating for more than a couple of days and it's usually accompanied by discomfort. Then again it could be psychological because the OP has herself so wound up about it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Actually you can, after about 6 weeks your stomach goes 'hard' and no matter how hard you suck it does not go in. I haven't been pregnant but this was demonstrated to me by a girl who was 6 weeks pregnant. I'v never been pregnant and although currently feeling bloated and horrible with a stomach bug I can still suck my stomach in.

When I suck in my ribs become more visible but my stomach barely moves. However it's not rock hard either.

Even if it's not pregnancy, something isn't right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I suck in my ribs become more visible but my stomach barely moves. However it's not rock hard either.

Even if it's not pregnancy, something isn't right.
    Just do a test and arrange a doctors appointment, to either confirm the pregnancy and find out how far along you are, or to sort out your stomach issues if you're not.

That way you can find out for sure and stop trying to guess, and the sooner you know if you are pregnant, more options you have.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.