Turn on thread page Beta

Formatted a friends PC - few issues. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Evening.

I formatted a friends PC today - he had a truck load of viruses that couldn't be removed and it really was the last resort. Before I did it, I put all his essentials onto a removable hard drive so that he wouldn't loose everything. I did my best to avoid a format - thorough scans, trying to isolate the documents, disk cleanups etc all to no avail.

The reformat went fine. It rebooted to factory settings very easily. After that though, I've run into a few problems in getting it back up and running for him. The biggest problem is this - he can't remember his wireless network key. Now all here is not lost - I've accessed his router control panel via another PC on the network (netgear) using the default settings but I can't see anywhere to turn the encrytion off and start again. In a stroke of luck, I tried "admin" as his network key and it connected, but displays the message "limited or no connectivity" - the router and laptop are talking to each other but I can't connect him to the internet.

I know the problem is IP address related but I'm stuck how to go forward. I've got several things to try when I go back tomorrow (promised I would fix it, lol).

First, I was going to connect the laptop to the router/modem directly with an ethernet. Seeing as though they are already connected this might sort the IP issues out.

Second, hope someone can direct me to change the WEP settings so I can start from scratch with his network.

Lastly, the router CP gives me an option to restore to factory defaults. I want to avoid this if possible because there are still 3 other computers on the network that can connect fine - just this reformatted one.

Any help is appreciated!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    You can connect with any WEP key whatsoever, but if it doesn't match the router's key then data transfer simply won't work. The router is trying to decrypt your packets using a different key, hence no DHCP.

Router config really depends on what model the router is. The settings are normally where you'd expect them to be though (i.e. security, encryption or some other buzzword). If you post up the model number (or a screenshot of the configuration page), someone may be able to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    You can connect with any WEP key whatsoever, but if it doesn't match the router's key then data transfer simply won't work. The router is trying to decrypt your packets using a different key, hence no DHCP.

Router config really depends on what model the router is. The settings are normally where you'd expect them to be though (i.e. security, encryption or some other buzzword). If you post up the model number (or a screenshot of the configuration page), someone may be able to help you.

Well, he was sure he knew his passcode, but it turns out he didn't. I tried "admin" on a whim and it took forever to connect but then only gave me limited - so part of me wants to say admin is the correct code but part of me says it isn't. I'm keen to just remove his encryption altogether and build it back up myself. I can't remember what model the router was - I just copy and pasted it into the search bar to find out it's default settings.

Googling has brought me to this - I think it's my best bet once hooked up directly to the router.

I've solved the other problems as well - he is Chinese and uses an application called PPS (no doubt the source of all the viruses) and we had some problems setting this up in Mandarin - sorted now after changing his locale settings!

ReputationRep:
    why not just reset the router, it doesnt take long to set up again and WEP is rubbish anyway

edit: the thread title is a bit misleading. this is no problems with the computer format is there... its all networking problems
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    part of me wants to say admin is the correct code but part of me says it isn't.
    I guarantee you it isn't. Try any password you like and the result will be exactly the same: it'll connect, but DHCP will fail and you'll get no IP address (which under Windows, gives you the "limited connectivity" message).

The model of the router should be written somewhere on the router itself. Netgear ones tend to be two letters followed by a string of numbers, e.g. DG12345. And in case you don't know already, WEP can be broken in less than 5 minutes by a competent hacker with the right tools, so upgrading to WPA2 and changing the passcode would not be a bad idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I guarantee you it isn't. Try any password you like and the result will be exactly the same: it'll connect, but DHCP will fail and you'll get no IP address (which under Windows, gives you the "limited connectivity" message).

The model of the router should be written somewhere on the router itself. Netgear ones tend to be two letters followed by a string of numbers, e.g. DG12345. And in case you don't know already, WEP can be broken in less than 5 minutes by a competent hacker with the right tools, so upgrading to WPA2 and changing the passcode would not be a bad idea!
    the fact the wireless SSID is still called netgear is not a good sign either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)

WEP can be cracked in 5 minutes by an incompetent hacker. It takes experts about a minute, in most cases. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorted it - found the correct key in the router CP, didn't take long at all. Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Sorted it - found the correct key in the router CP, didn't take long at all. Thanks for the help
    have you changed the security to something other than WEP too?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.