Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chilean rose tarantula *HELP* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hii

Got one of these other day, its still quite young, i know a small share about them, however its tank that its in, iv been told is okay for it for life, however it is rather small. So i was thinking as its a female spider, iv read bout it and they could live to say 20 years, i may aswell make its life the best i can, anyway... more to the point;

I have it in a proper reptile tank, but looking at other tanks the "big" ones are mostly fish tanks, will fish tanks be okay for my spider? for air etc etc, i cant have a totaly sealed one as no air will get in? do i get a normal fish or aquairum tank then get some wire meshing to cover the top of what a fish tank normally has, then simply always keep open the slots? the wire meshing covering it from getting out?

any info or links etc anyone have on of these??

Helpies... thanks

James

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert in spiders, yet, good choice in spider! . But i think the fish tank set up would be alright. Best thing to do, sign yourself up to a reptile forum or a spider forum then ask they'll know everything you need to know. Reptile Forums UK is a good place to start IMO.

have you seen the large versions of the exo terra glass terrariums? they're very nice things to own. At college we've got a Goliath Bird eater and we keep it in the largest one they do and its fine.... its got loads of ventilation.

these things are amazing. I will be getting one when i finally am able to get myself a Mexican red knee... and also King Baboon (i am crazy!)

ReputationRep:
    I cannot imagine a worse thing to willingly bring into my house. God it terrifies me just thinking about it.

Sorry, no help.

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. I had no idea what a Chilean rose tarantula was so I googled it, here are some of the images that came up for people who dont know about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're well sweet. One of the most docile trantular to own... Though stilll stress pretty easy. When they flick the hairs it's not nice. Lovely creatures though. Its a fluffy pet like a cat or a dog, with just 4 more legs .

ReputationRep:
    They don't need too much room. I had one that was kept in a 1 foot fish tank for year and it was fine. As long as you keep the heat and humidity up it will be able to live and shed quite happily. Spiders don't move around much (just wait for prey to walk past) so you don't need anything too massive.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WiHD...eature=related
    :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinal)
    Hii

Got one of these other day, its still quite young, i know a small share about them, however its tank that its in, iv been told is okay for it for life, however it is rather small. So i was thinking as its a female spider

Helpies... thanks

James
    how are you sure it's female? How small are we talking actually, what's it's leg span(so like the front left leg, to the bottom right one).

Spiders really don't move all that much. Something like 30cm by 20cm would be fine for a Chile rose. You can go a bit bigger but it'll kind of be wasted space, especially for this Tarantula. They mainly just sit totally still, maybe move from one end to the other occasionally, or just sit in the hide you give it. Sometimes their nicknamed pet rocks haha!, gotta love em though.

ReputationRep:
    aww it's only walking about. It's rearing up at the end because it's had enough of his camera or something near it just out of view, seems a pretty docile one, bet you could handle it no problems. If it isn't his pet I'm suprised it's just wandered into the kitchen or what ever, guess he might be American. Looks to be an Aphonopelma sp. .Probably an A.hentzi...or A.pallidum... Their usually real calm.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    aww it's only walking about. It's rearing up at the end because it's had enough of his camera or something near it just out of view, seems a pretty docile one, bet you could handle it no problems. If it isn't his pet I'm suprised it's just wandered into the kitchen or what ever, guess he might be American. Looks to be an Aphonopelma sp. .Probably an A.hentzi...or A.pallidum... Their usually real calm.:yes:
    Noooooo :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Noooooo :no:
    not it's fault some humans have an irrational fear. It's an interesting natural phobia as no Tarantulas has a fatal bite, I understand an instilled fear of snakes in people in India and such, not but Tarantulas....it's also mainly a female thing. I think the issue is it's passed down by mothers to daughters, "ewwww look it's a spider! Look at it's legs ewww!". Where as if you were calm around them, ignoring them, or just said "look there's a spider, let's put it outside.". Your child would have no fear at all.

anyway everyone loves A.versicolor!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tar...versicolor.jpg

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.