Turn on thread page Beta

I'm very unhappy living where I am now, but I don't know what I can do about it. watch

I'm in a city 2 hours away from my home, studying at University. I hadn't much choice in location of study because I went through clearing and didn't want to wait a year. The city I come from is a large city with a very diverse population and culture. Personally, I love the Indie scene and there's no shortage of decent clubs there; as you'd expect a large amount of people from this city dress a similar way to myself and are generally similar in the way of interests, music tastes etc. Sorry for the ambiguity but I'm trying hard not to break anonymity here :/

Now imagine going from that, and being shunted into a small city that's a hundred times smaller, dull, and full of just.. ordinary people. There's NOTHING exciting about it. I haven't been out to a club in 3 months because I dislike the music and clubs here so intensely. I'm not attracted to anybody here because I'm such a picky person and like girls into the same style as myself, which in this city is about 1 in 1000.

I like my course, and i'm 23 years old in a week and REFUSE to drop out after taking so long to find a subject that interested me. But i'm only in my first year. So if my transfer isn't successful (I have applied to transfer back to the University in my home town) then I face another two years of this hell. I could not handle that all.

I really don't know what to do, even 4 more months seems hellish, never mind two years. I've even thought about antidepressants but didn't want to go down that road in case it affected my work, but I feel so unhappy and withdrawn now, it hurts.

Does anybody have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    IMO there's no point staying somewhere where you will be miserable. If your transfer doesn't work out, would you consider re-applying to your home university now you've found a subject you enjoy? I know you would have to go through a year of nothing but it depends if you can stick it out where you are or would prefer to go somewhere where you know you will be happy.

Are you living in halls/shared flat? Have you considered joining a society with other like minded people? Usually most universities will have an Indie society.

ReputationRep:
    Make an effort to go out and meet new people. Surely you haven't met every single person in this small city?

ReputationRep:
    How small is this city? You don't have to name and shame if need be but anyone here who knows said city could give advice on what to do to enjoy yourself. Is it a historical place that's popular with tourists? Or just average sized?

(Original post by RainbowDrops)
    Make an effort to go out and meet new people. Surely you haven't met every single person in this small city?
    I haven't no, but it's not very big, the center of the city is a very small place and in close proximity to the campus so I pass through it every day several times. There's literally nothing of interest outside this main shopping area, and yet every day I see nobody that really interests me..

(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    How small is this city? You don't have to name and shame if need be but anyone here who knows said city could give advice on what to do to enjoy yourself. Is it a historical place that's popular with tourists? Or just average sized?
    I don't know how to explain it really, but to put it simply, as I said above the main center of town is small; it's around the same size as one of the indoor shopping malls in Manchester (arndale), where I'm from. Which is quite sad really..

And no it doesn't really have anything going for it, in the tourist sense.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I thought you'd be a Manc from your first post! Are you at uni down south? I've found it pretty difficult adjusting to southernness.

Everything feels pretty generic where I am now - boring clubs, boring shops, boring people with boring dress sense... I thought students were supposed to dress pretty crazy, but nope, apparently not. Everyone looks the same.

Like someone else said, try a society. I did and I met some fantastic people.

I think you should be a little more open to people who aren't your usual cup of tea, though. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em and all that. Try not to get too downcast; when you do meet people, be friendly, don't resign yourself to a life of misery.

ReputationRep:
    You say you want to meet indie girls. But indie has a variety of definitions and its usage can be very vague sometimes!!

(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    You say you want to meet indie girls. But indie has a variety of definitions and its usage can be very vague sometimes!!
    Yeah I know, I don't like to stereotype and generally don't do so, so I found it hard to put into words what I meant. Just a certain dress sense and personality i'm more attracted to but I don't know how to explain it :3

(Original post by elixira)
    Ah I thought you'd be a Manc from your first post! Are you at uni down south? I've found it pretty difficult adjusting to southernness.

Everything feels pretty generic where I am now - boring clubs, boring shops, boring people with boring dress sense... I thought students were supposed to dress pretty crazy, but nope, apparently not. Everyone looks the same.

Like someone else said, try a society. I did and I met some fantastic people.

I think you should be a little more open to people who aren't your usual cup of tea, though. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em and all that. Try not to get too downcast; when you do meet people, be friendly, don't resign yourself to a life of misery.
    I'm in the Midlands now. I'm trying to be friendly meeting people but I just don't like them >.< They seem to range from quiet, shy and boring to plastic orange people. I'm not usually a judgemental person, sorry D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah I know, I don't like to stereotype and generally don't do so, so I found it hard to put into words what I meant. Just a certain dress sense and personality i'm more attracted to but I don't know how to explain it :3

I'm in the Midlands now. I'm trying to be friendly meeting people but I just don't like them >.< They seem to range from quiet, shy and boring to plastic orange people. I'm not usually a judgemental person, sorry D:
    Oh don't worry, I've turned into the most judgemental ***** EVER since being at uni. Hoping it's a phase... hope it is for you, too! :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.