Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matt

It is an unconditional offer based on the grades I already have, so I just need to get through the CRB and medical (which shouldn't be a problem because I've already had both successfully with WMAS) and the fitness, which I'm a little nervous about I have to admit! I passed the fitness tests at UCLAN and Edge Hill, so fingers crossed for Staffs!

I think there is 30 places isn't there? Does anybody know how many applied for the course?

Ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed2)
    Hi Matt

It is an unconditional offer based on the grades I already have, so I just need to get through the CRB and medical (which shouldn't be a problem because I've already had both successfully with WMAS) and the medical, which I'm a little nervous about I have to admit! I passed the fitness tests at UCLAN and Edge Hill, so fingers crossed for Staffs!

I think there is 30 places isn't there? Does anybody know how many applied for the course?

Ed
    Mine is unconditional too and i'm still doing A levels!

I have to do the fitness test too obviously. What was involved at the other places?

I work for EMAS, what do you do at WMAS?

No idea how many applied but I imagine it will be a few hundred.

Sorry for all the questions!

ReputationRep:
    No problem Matt! I guess you're just enthusiastic too!

I only volunteer for WMAS as a CFR, what do you do in the EMAS?

UCLAN and Edge Hill had a fitness test that you had to pass before you could be interviewed, and anybody who didn't pass it had their applications terminated there.

The fitness test was stepping on and off a 30cm (1ft) step to the sound of a pace made by a tape. It is in two minute intervals and after each two minutes the pace gets faster. Your heart rate is allowed to go up to 80% of your recommended maximum for your age (for me it was 161) so you carry on until this is reached or until the 10 minutes is up. If you reach it, you don't fail at this point.

You have a two minute rest and then the real test begins. You have to go up and down the 30cm step for 2 minutes carrying a 15kg dummy response bag first. If your heart rate crosses 90% of your recommended you fail (for me that was 181). Straight after the 2 minutes on the step you move and do 2 minutes of chest compressions.

Following the chest compressions you move onto a step which goes up to 15cm then up to 30cm and then back down to the floor backwards. You have to do this for 3 and a half minutes holding 15kg per hand. You're allowed to put the weights down for a couple of seconds to adjust your grip during the first 2 minutes, but after the first 2 minutes you cannot put them down. If you drop them or put them down too heavily you fail the test. If your heart rate goes above 90% you fail.

During my fitness test at UCLAN my heart rate went up to 174 and it was allowed to go up to 181, so it was pretty close!

I've already met one other person who is coming to Staffs at a training course. Hopefully we'll meet more people at the fitness tests!

The competition this year has been mad! I know that UCLAN had 1,000 applications for 20 places, Edge Hill had something like 700 for 25 and Northampton had 434 for 24!

Ed

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, I'm a cleaner at a South Leicester station but applied to uni before I started!

That all sounds quite intense but I'm quite fit and strong so it should not be too bad...in theory. It sounds to me a bit like the Harvard step test but without the complicated maths.

Look out for me at the fitness test, I should be reasonibly conspicuous as I'm 6ft4!

You emailed Staffs yet to accept your place?

ReputationRep:
    Urm, I wasn't aware that I had to?? I just updated my UCAS to accept Staffs as my firm choice!

What do you mean by emailing them? It didn't say anything about that in any of the information I've received?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed2)
    Urm, I wasn't aware that I had to?? I just updated my UCAS to accept Staffs as my firm choice!

What do you mean by emailing them? It didn't say anything about that in any of the information I've received?
    Calm Ed! You'll get a letter in the post from UCAS saying to send a few details to Staffs saying you have firmed them. You have 14 days to do it from the date on the letter.

ReputationRep:
    I've created a group on FaceBook:

Search for: Staffordshire University Paramedics 2010-2012

See you on there...

ReputationRep:
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i still havent heard from coventry and i have to make my choices soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Try ringing Pete Gregory?

…and posting in a thread that's not specifically about Staffordshire?

ReputationRep:
    have you applied to coventry

ReputationRep:
    I did indeed but accepted an unconditional from Staffordshire. Ring Pete, he'll be very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    hi, any one accepted an offer from coventry ?
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    Are any paramedics going on the Step Ahead thing in July?

ReputationRep:
    Just got a letter with my fitness test date on :/

25th May.

ReputationRep:
    hi all im matt, accepted a offer at staffs uni and got my fitness test on the 25th.

i hope its not to hard! i will be gutted if i dont make it now o well better go for a run, good to see some people who are on the same course i allso got it at worcester starting in jan. but i had a better feeling at staffs dont know why.

i live in shrewsbury so not too far away, as i will be living at home and driving in. well just got to pass the fitness test !!!!!!!!

hope to see you there matty

ReputationRep:
    Hey Matt,

This course will be full of people called Matt!

Good news on accepting your offer. Is it unconditional?

I'm sure the fitness test is not too taxing...they should check aerobic endurance or heart rate recovery (google harvard step test), grip strength and maybe how long you can do CPR for. It will be to exclude really unfit people who are wrong for the job (lifting etc...).

I just emailed a lady named Joy at the FOH about what will be involved. I doubt she will say though.

Anyway, try not to worry too much. We will be fine.

You down on the step ahead thing in July?

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Hi

haha ye it could make register fun ( MATT yep yep yep)

na mine is conditional as i am doing a access course in human biology (as i did not do a level) but its not a problem as i have allready got the marks i need to pass it!!

ye im not a small lad so not worred about the grip/strength test but my cardio is not amazing so we will see how unfit i really am. i just hope its not too unrealistic for a 27 year old lad like me lol.

i did ask when i rang up confirming my place on the fitness test and she said somthing about a treadmill !!! but let me know if you get a reply

not down for the step ahead in july im in canada from the 28 june till 31july but i think i would of gone just to get a feel for the place but o well will have to wait. you going ??

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

It was good to meet some of you at the fitness tests and it's good that almost everybody passed as far as I'm aware?

Just got to look forwards to starting in September now!!

ReputationRep:
    What were the entry requirements for this course last year? For 2011, they want five A-C GCSE's. Is this the same as last year? Any other requirements? Driving licence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.L)
    What were the entry requirements for this course last year? For 2011, they want five A-C GCSE's. Is this the same as last year? Any other requirements? Driving licence?
    Hey,

I'm on the course now so i'm not really sure on the 2010 requirements, people have got in on access courses, GCSEs and A levels, experience in healthcare (voluntary and involuntary) helps a lot too, as well as things such as youthwork.

Driving licence and car is hugely adviseable as you will have to drive to placements during the course.

It is a brilliant course, the lecturers are sublime and the learning environment is one of the best i've ever been in. Well worth an application.

But...don't quote me on this, I have heard that there will be less places and less interviews this year; making 2011 a much more competitive cohort than last year.

You coming to an open day?

Matt

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.