Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling over-emotional a lot of the time - depression? watch

For the past year or so I've been feeling really over-emotional, with bursts of sadness and crying. I'll often feel like anything irritates and annoys me, and / or like I can't cope with life. My AS' aren't going that well (and after having done well at gcse I'm finding it really hard). I don't feel motivated anymore, or smart enough either. I feel confused, cold and tired and often just like I want to sit indoors and cry all day or sleep. I realise this makes me sound lazy, but there just doesn't seem to be much to wake up to anymore. My "friends" ditched me, my parents row all the time and I just generally hate life. I don't even feel I'd care if I did well at a level because I feel so down...

ReputationRep:
    no, it's not depression. Depression has the opposite symptoms, it makes you pretty much emotionless.

you're probably hormonal. how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For the past year or so I've been feeling really over-emotional, with bursts of sadness and crying. I'll often feel like anything irritates and annoys me, and / or like I can't cope with life. My AS' aren't going that well (and after having done well at gcse I'm finding it really hard). I don't feel motivated anymore, or smart enough either. I feel confused, cold and tired and often just like I want to sit indoors and cry all day or sleep. I realise this makes me sound lazy, but there just doesn't seem to be much to wake up to anymore. My "friends" ditched me, my parents row all the time and I just generally hate life. I don't even feel I'd care if I did well at a level because I feel so down...
    You sound similar to me when I had depression so go to the GP and see if they can recommend anything to help, be it counselling, drugs or both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    no, it's not depression. Depression has the opposite symptoms, it makes you pretty much emotionless.

Whilst this is true, the lack of motivation, constant crying and wanting to sleep all the time and not go anwhere are also signs of depression.

17. I've felt like this for a while though.

ReputationRep:
    Awwww (((((Hug))))...I kinda felt the same when I started my A-levels. I assumed I needed to see a councellor. But didn't. I went to see the doctor instead. Not much he could do really, apart from give me a blood test for my iron levels (Paha!)
    If I was you...I'd pick myself up and find some motivation from somewhere if you want to do well in your A-levels especially.
    Actions speak louder than words, I know. But it is possible.

Or if anything, obviously I don't know what sort of relationship you have with your parents, but try talking to your mum??

Hope it works out for you X

ReputationRep:
    17. I've felt like this for a while though.
    don't diagnose yourself with depression-if you want to address this problem see a doctor or a counsellor (I would suggest the latter, doctors just put you on pills), eat healthily and take lots of excercise. Above all, don't worry about it. It's sort of like physical pain-the more you focus on it, the more it hurts.

But as I said, it's probably mainly due to hormones. A lot of girls I know have the same symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    You sound similar to me when I had depression so go to the GP and see if they can recommend anything to help, be it counselling, drugs or both.
    Personally, I'd avoid "drugs".. to be honest I'd rather die of depression than start poppin' pills.. most of them have side effects, someone I knew took them and didn't really get better and ended up dying from brain tumor which apparantly were caused by these so called "pills" that are supposed to "help" you...

What you need to do is set yourself a "goal" or "target"..

What do you want to do/achieve in life? When you find it, work hard to get it, and then when you get it, enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    I have had depression- I think the best way to describe how I felt is that I felt numb. I wasn't up and down emotionally, there was just this constant feeling of nothingness. I was constantly tired, had no motivation to do anything as I couldn't see the point of anything. But for me, that stage came after a period of self harm and constant crying.... so I guess it can be different for different people.

ReputationRep:
    awww definatly go 2 the doctors hun it realy helps 2 talk 2 sum1 - sumtimes especially a stranger on the outside,,,plus he will assess if u have depression n be able 2 give u advice, drugs n offer councelling..personally, i think u are suffering frm deppression as i have a long history of it n ur symptoms sound alot similar to wat mine was. its nothing 2 be ashamed of, depression is a widely known illness and there's plenty of help out there!!! u jus gota find the stragety best 4 u..by goin 2 da docs u'll b takin ur 1st step 2 recovery. i realy hope u feeling better soon! x

ReputationRep:

Thats bull. Are you telling me every single person who experiences depression, experiences it in the exact form you've described above? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldee)
    Thats bull. Are you telling me every single person who experiences depression, experiences it in the exact form you've described above? No.
    Chill. I was just saying its more common for depressed people to feel...well, nothing.
    If you wheep all the time and feel sad I highly doubt it's depression-though I may be wrong- it's just feeling sad.

I dont know why people nowadays are so determined to see things as a sign of mental illness-most of what she described is completely normal.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone will get side effects from AD's and they may not last that long.

I guess people often think they might be depressed because of how many people suffer from it nowadays. OP- don't attempt to diagnose yourself. You'd be better off seeing a doctor.

Chill. I was just saying its more common for depressed people to feel...well, nothing.
    If you wheep all the time and feel sad I highly doubt it's depression-though I may be wrong- it's just feeling sad.

I dont know why people nowadays are so determined to see things as a sign of mental illness-most of what she described is completely normal.
    I'm not sure feeling like cying a lot of the time and feeling hopeless and upset is just feeling "sad". Sadness usually goes away after a short period of time...?

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't matter if what you are feeling is depression or not.
    What matters is that you aren't coping well and are struggling with your emotions; it may be really good to go speak to your doctor, a school counsellor or a teacher that you trust about this, to try and get some active support.

Don't try to label yourself - you are struggling with what you are feeling, that in itself is enough to ask for help.

Take care.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure feeling like cying a lot of the time and feeling hopeless and upset is just feeling "sad". Sadness usually goes away after a short period of time...?
    Then like I said, if you feel that it's intervening with your everyday life, see someone about it and don't spend ages on the Internet trying to figure out what's wrong with you (sorry, i didn't mean to sound harsh). Like the person above me said, don't try to label yourself.

Anyway-I'm off to the gym. You can PM me if you like.

hope you find a solution.

xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.