Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It has been over a month since I have had all my offers back but I would like to change my course choices completey, I do not want to go through with the course that I chose as I would hate it. Do you think there is any chance if I phoned up my unis I could change the course? BTW, I want to do a foundation year in something else in place of the stupid course I applied for. One of my choices is pending an interview, next week, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Could I reject all my offers and go through clearing?

Edit - Or extra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelsguy)
    Could I reject all my offers and go through clearing?

Edit - Or extra?
    Assuming you selected 5 choices in your initial application then with your current application you are tied into at least those 5 universities. However, so long as you still want to study at one of the 5 then you can ask the university to change your course and see what they say. It's not guaranteed they'll agree to it, but if this suits you then it's the first choice. If you want to apply to a different university or they say know then you will need to reject your choices and go through Extra. You could go through clearing later, but it's altogether more of a lottery and not advisable given you still have plenty of time. You'll get a lot more choice in Extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Assuming you selected 5 choices in your initial application then with your current application you are tied into at least those 5 universities. However, so long as you still want to study at one of the 5 then you can ask the university to change your course and see what they say. It's not guaranteed they'll agree to it, but if this suits you then it's the first choice. If you want to apply to a different university or they say know then you will need to reject your choices and go through Extra. You could go through clearing later, but it's altogether more of a lottery and not advisable given you still have plenty of time. You'll get a lot more choice in Extra.
    Firstly - Thanks for the reply!

OK, I will firstly attempt to get the Unis I have applied to to change the course. And if my unis say no, I will decline all my offers and go through clearing - how do I know which courses are available through extra, and are foundation years usually offered here?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly - Thanks for the reply!

OK, I will firstly attempt to get the Unis I have applied to to change the course. And if my unis say no, I will decline all my offers and go through clearing - how do I know which courses are available through extra, and are foundation years usually offered here?
    you mean go through Extra, right? not clearing. UCAS publishes the lists for Extra on their website and I believe it does often include foundation courses. Extra doesn't open/begin until the end of february though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I meant extra, sorry. And thank you, I'll speak to my unis on the phone tommorow and see what they say, if they do not allow me to change course I will decline all my offers and go through extra. If I do not find a good foundation year through extra I will apply directly to a uni which I think will consider me. How does this plan sound?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I meant extra, sorry. And thank you, I'll speak to my unis on the phone tommorow and see what they say, if they do not allow me to change course I will decline all my offers and go through extra. If I do not find a good foundation year through extra I will apply directly to a uni which I think will consider me. How does this plan sound?
    yep, if you're sure that this is the right move for you then it sounds fine :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    yep, if you're sure that this is the right move for you then it sounds fine :yy:
    Hope you don't mind me quoting you but you seem pretty clued up on this!

Basically I have pretty much decided that the offer I am going to firm is the lowest grades-wise, I would prefer to have a firm so I am thinking about e-mailing one of my other choices and asking to change my course to one with lower grade requirements. If they don't let me change the course would my original offer still stand? And what should I include in an e-mail to the university about changing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himynameismike)
    Hope you don't mind me quoting you but you seem pretty clued up on this!

Basically I have pretty much decided that the offer I am going to firm is the lowest grades-wise, I would prefer to have a firm so I am thinking about e-mailing one of my other choices and asking to change my course to one with lower grade requirements. If they don't let me change the course would my original offer still stand? And what should I include in an e-mail to the university about changing?
    Yes, if they don't change the course then they will leave it as it is. However, think about whether it's something you're actually happy doing and for the right reasons. If you don't think you'd be happy going on this different course and would prefer the one you have down at the moment then stick with that! Your insurance doesn't have to be a lower grade, it's helpful but not essential. For example, say you did miss your firm, then your insurance might still take you if they have places even though you didn't meet the offer. They may also offer you the lower requirement course. What you're doing isn't unreasonable, and you would just need to email the university about changing. Just don't put down a course you're not happy with or you may regret it later.

ReputationRep:
    Do you get to write a new PS if you apply through extra?

ReputationRep:
    Do you get to write a new PS if you apply through extra?
    You can ask the universities if you may submit another PS, but no its not typically something that is *easy* to do. Worth asking about with the individual unis though if you are changing course significantly.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am going from Computer science to Zoology so there is quite a difference I guess I'll have to ask, thanks for the info so far by the way, I''ve had some good e-mails back, hope it goes my way

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.