Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i just have one quick question for those ppl who are familiar with the Oxford maths course..
    Here is my qualification:
    i have taken the IB with the following high levels:
    Maths HL
    Chem HL
    Bio HL
    Jap HL

As you can see, i have neither done Further Maths (not offered at our school) nor Physics.. this is simply cause hm.. dunno i just didnt seem to like physics,, i just thouhugt Chem and Bio were more interesting..

So my qs is, with the combination of subjects i have, do i acutally stand a chance for the Oxford Maths with Computer Science course? or are the tutors gonna think why isn't this guy applying for Biochem or wateva??

ReputationRep:
    Should be fine. You have Maths HL, which is the most important thing. Plus 4 HL subjects is pretty rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure how IB works but if it is possible for you to complete further maths outside of school then I'd go for it. I'd assume Physics would help but by no means essential; Chemistry is still a science and I think as long as you have maths plus one science then you have a shot.

ReputationRep:
    My friend is doing mathsphil and she did maths, French, English and something else HL, possibly religion or something, I forget, but she definitely didn't do further maths, and it's not been a problem for her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    My friend is doing mathsphil and she did maths, French, English and something else HL, possibly religion or something, I forget, but she definitely didn't do further maths, and it's not been a problem for her.
    ah ok thx a lot.. but wasn't it ok for her cause she is doing maths+philoso? or am i just mistaken?

btw, i wanna do maths+computer science.. argg should have done physics..

ReputationRep:
    Only about 150 people in the entire world do Further Maths IB each session, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Barely any schools even offer FM IB because it's ridiculously hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    Only about 150 people in the entire world do Further Maths IB each session, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Barely any schools even offer FM IB because it's ridiculously hard.
    ye,, but what about not taking physcis???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atotallyrandomguy)
    ye,, but what about not taking physcis???
    For maths and computer science:
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ics_and_1.html

Candidates are expected to have Mathematics to A-level (A grade), Advanced Higher (A grade), or Higher Level in the IB (score 7) or another equivalent. Another Science or Further Mathematics would also be highly recommended.
    Physics is not required, but it would probably be the most useful science in this case. However, you fulfill the requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Just do well on the MET and at interview - your subjects are fine

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

As long as you do maths (which you do) your other subjects do not matter!
    What is most important for Oxford is the Maths Admissions Test -do well enough on that, impress at interview and you're fine!

EDIT: Obviously, grades, references, PS etc. all play a factor in interview decisions, but the MAT is the most significant factor!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.