Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Applying to spring weeks atm (and yes i know i'm close to the deadlines - had other things on) and i was wondering would it be better to apply to FO or BO such as operations?

Reason i'm asking is because if i get the FO spring week then obviously that's better however i know that the competition is tough. Now i know that the competition for BO isn't non existent and therefore easy, but it is "easier" than FO in terms of competition and so there is a greater chance in securing the spring week. Way i see it is, experience whether BO or FO (provided i get it) is better than no experience so should i apply for BO just to be safe and if i get it, apply for FO next time round? Bearing in mind my CV is kind of bare as i will admit i've been a lazy *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Applying to spring weeks atm (and yes i know i'm close to the deadlines - had other things on) and i was wondering would it be better to apply to FO or BO such as operations?

Reason i'm asking is because if i get the FO spring week then obviously that's better however i know that the competition is tough. Now i know that the competition for BO isn't non existent and therefore easy, but it is "easier" than FO in terms of competition and so there is a greater chance in securing the spring week. Way i see it is, experience whether BO or FO (provided i get it) is better than no experience so should i apply for BO just to be safe and if i get it, apply for FO next time round? Bearing in mind my CV is kind of bare as i will admit i've been a lazy *****
    If you're not confident about landing a FO one, just apply for a mixture. In any case, whether you get a BO or FO spring week, who's going to know? Just put "X Bank, Spring Intern" on your CV, it's hardly lying and nobody would ever question it I'm sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    If you're not confident about landing a FO one, just apply for a mixture. In any case, whether you get a BO or FO spring week, who's going to know? Just put "X Bank, Spring Intern" on your CV, it's hardly lying and nobody would ever question it I'm sure...
    i like your thinking loggins :p: nah i'm not confident because i realise that there are probably hundreds of people better than me atm so i think i'll avoid FO and go BO or apply to a mixture as you said Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i like your thinking loggins :p: nah i'm not confident because i realise that there are probably hundreds of people better than me atm so i think i'll avoid FO and go BO or apply to a mixture as you said Thanks
    No worries man, I'd probably go for a mixture anyway, because it's possible to do more than one Spring week...I've known people do up to 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    No worries man, I'd probably go for a mixture anyway, because it's possible to do more than one Spring week...I've known people do up to 5.
    i'm surprised none of them clashed

ReputationRep:
    i'm surprised none of them clashed
    It's defs possible, Prince of Zamunda did about 4 if I recall correctly, maybe he'll chip in if he sees this.

ReputationRep:
    if you are not confident in yourself, maybe you should consider another profession. IB is a lot about confidence and competitiveness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    if you are not confident in yourself, maybe you should consider another profession. IB is a lot about confidence and competitiveness.
    It's not about being confident in myself, it's about being realistic. There's a difference between being realistic and being confident. My CV is essentially empty atm and so automatically i'm in a pretty **** position so chances are, even though it's a spring week, i probably won't get the FO one

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone will have a packed CV - if you go to a reputable university, and thereby have the grades, then you should give yourself a chance and apply for a mixture. Just try to prop up your CV with good EC's and stuff for next year obviously, if you don't feel its strong enough.

GS allows you to apply to both btw.

ReputationRep:
    I think a big problem with your thinking is that you want to be an "investment banker" (and by "investment banker" I mean someone who has a high starting salary), rather than an investment banker (by which I mean actually doing the job).

Part of the reason why people do spring weeks is in order to learn if they actually like the profession, what it's like and to improve their contacts + knowledge. If you really want to work in a FO position, why would you apply for operations? You're not really going to learn anything about FO from there. You're probably going to say that "well, I'll learn in my summer internship, for which I'll apply for FO positions since I'll have some experience on my CV", but I don't think you can have a good idea of whether or not you want to really spend 10 weeks of summer working day and night without having done a spring week.

However, I do see where you're coming from in terms of maximising your chances. I mean, you'd rather settle for something rather than nothing, right?

ReputationRep:
    Agree. Apply for a nice spread.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.