Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For a long time the scrapping of the ID card scheme was a well-known Conservative policy, as they believed that the scheme would be a waste of money and an encroachment on personal freedoms. I haven't, however, heard it mentioned in recent spending-cut plans. Have they quietly dropped the policy?

ReputationRep:
    We will scrap the ID cards scheme, and use some of the savings to build more prison places, provide more drug rehabilitation for those in custody and create a dedicated Border Police Force.
    http://www.conservatives.com/Campaig..._Bad_IDea.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you - I just guess it hasn't been so well publicised recently :rolleyes:

They would gain votes from it if people were aware of labour's plans

ReputationRep:
    Its been less publicised because Labour have dropped the policy as well.

I believe that biometric passports have gone ahead as these are necessary to get into the USA without a visa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wind-swept)
    They would gain votes from it if people were aware of labour's plans
    What plans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What plans?
    to carry on with the ID cards.... given how bothered people were about them, now they're getting closer to being rolled out, the issue seems to have been forgotten

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wind-swept)
    to carry on with the ID cards.... given how bothered people were about them, now they're getting closer to being rolled out, the issue seems to have been forgotten
    Ahh kk, thought you might have meant something 'bigger'.

IMHO the Tories will keep going once they realise they have already bought them. They just won't make them compulsory, not that they were planned to be anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If there are no plans to be it to be abolished, there bloody well should be. Im not paying 50 quid for something that there is no need for, and has no unique purpose, like for example a driving licence or a passport (even an expired one!), oh wait theyre both perfectly legitimate forms of ID already. Well done the idiot who thought ID cards was an idea worth pursuing, just for that you deserve a place on the naughty step.

ReputationRep:
    What a strange set of alternative things to do with the money they will save.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    What a strange set of alternative things to do with the money they will save.
    Because they will only save about 12 pounds 50 and a packet of crisps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Because they will only save about 12 pounds 50 and a packet of crisps.
    Who they getting to form this border police force - cash-in-hand sub-minimum-wage illegal immigrants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Who they getting to form this border police force - cash-in-hand sub-minimum-wage illegal immigrants?
    It'll be UKBA rebadged

ReputationRep:
    Its been less publicised because Labour have dropped the policy as well.

I believe that biometric passports have gone ahead as these are necessary to get into the USA without a visa.
    Just because they are quiet about it doesn't mean it has gone away. Labour's ID cards scheme has not been dropped. In fact the situation is even more precarious since many people are confused about it now. From next year they are planing to enter everyone renewing/applying for passports onto a national identity register irrespective of whether you buy an ID card. The consequence of being registered is Labour's ID cards scheme. Since hardly anyone was going to register voluntarily they've decided to tie registration with owning a passport (freedom of movement curtailed?) This was not an inevitable consequence of an ID scheme, but a cynical ploy to coerce people into being registered.

Being registered ties you into their intrusive system for life. You lose control over your identity for life, have a state owned biometric profile created on you, have an obligation to supply over 40 pieces of information and potentially unlimited biometrics, have to pay up to £1,000 fines if you don't report changes in any of the information to the state, have a log of all your ID related activities automatically generated and kept for life and can have a wide variety of public bodies access your profile without your knowledge let alone consent.

Good site for keeping up to date:
    http://forum.no2id.net/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ploder424)
    Just because they are quiet about it doesn't mean it has gone away. Labour's ID cards scheme has not been dropped. In fact the situation is even more precarious since many people are confused about it now. From next year they are planing to enter everyone renewing/applying for passports onto a national identity register irrespective of whether you buy an ID card. The consequence of being registered is Labour's ID cards scheme. Since hardly anyone was going to register voluntarily they've decided to tie registration with owning a passport (freedom of movement curtailed?) This was not an inevitable consequence of an ID scheme, but a cynical ploy to coerce people into being registered.

Being registered ties you into their intrusive system for life. You lose control over your identity for life, have a state owned biometric profile created on you, have an obligation to supply over 40 pieces of information and potentially unlimited biometrics, have to pay up to £1,000 fines if you don't report changes in any of the information to the state, have a log of all your ID related activities automatically generated and kept for life and can have a wide variety of public bodies access your profile without your knowledge let alone consent.

:yawn:

You need biometric passports to get into the U.S.

As for a "national identity reigster", what do you think a passport is for? Without registers, it would be impossible to operate a passport (or even a electoral) system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ploder424)

You do realise nothing there has changed for decades right?

And are you actually saying when your mum dies you want to phone upto 45 different Govt bodies to tell them of your berevement?

ReputationRep:
    You need biometric passports to get into the U.S.
    Yes, we need biometric passports to get into the US. We need them because they demanded them. Your point is nothing more than saying we comply 'because they said so'. I notice the so-called security arrangements were also brought in under the pretext of fighting terrorism. But I digress. To talk about 'needing' a biometric passport is to miss the point of my argument. A requirement to check people against biometrics does not in itself warrant a state owned identity profile and the other consequences, some of which I highlighted above.

As for a "national identity reigster", what do you think a passport is for? Without registers, it would be impossible to operate a passport (or even a electoral) system.
    A passport is a designator of nationality and citizenship. It is not an identity document in itself (please check this out if you don't believe me) A passport is state owned, but it is not a biometric identity profile, even if some of its constituent parts resemble such. I was concerned about how people were being propagandised into accepting greater surveillance and restriction over their lives so set about researching some of these points in case you were wondering.

You do realise nothing there has changed for decades right?
    This particular profile system has the potential to be even more intrusive than what we usually have to put up with, and it will be forced onto people for reasons (excuses) that have been thoroughly debunked. What I think you should ask yourself is why? If it is 'more of the same' or 'no different than having a biometric passport' then why are they being brought in? What is the benefit over and above existing schemes and why can't the same functions be carried out by existing voluntary forms of ID? Why are they trying to coerce people into being registered on pain of not being allowed a passport? Why not make it voluntary and let people decide for themselves?

And are you actually saying when your mum dies you want to phone upto 45 different Govt bodies to tell them of your berevement?
    Why would I be phoning up 45 gov bodies and telling them of my bereavement? If it came down to something like that then I would prefer it to being on this particular ID scheme, which I regard as intrusive, dishonest and unnecessary. I am generally a supporter of privacy and that involves having control over my personal info. So prolific data sharing without consent, state owned profiles and disproportionate surveillance are a big fail for me (basically everything Labour support in their 'transformational government' and other agendas)

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.