Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my friend recommended this forum for me

I have quite of a problem. Currently I'm holding offers for CompSci/Computing at Cambridge and Imperial and honestly I do not know which one to choose. Its A*AA for Cam and A*AAA for Imperial.

Putting all the other factors like nightlife, city, accomodation and peers aside, I want to know which course will give me better perspectives for the future. Which one will make me a better professional. Which one is in higher regard by employers?

Where would you go if you had same criteria like me?

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about the difference between the two courses, but I thought I'd just chip in here with my opinion.

Both of the courses are going to be held in great esteem by employers, and will probably give you a roughly equal 'starting block' as it were to the professional world, so in this sense, I don't think it's something which you should worry about too much.

Secondly, I know you said to disregard this, but you really do need to think about the lifestyle you want to have at university. Cambridge and Imperial are VERY different places, and you need to consider where you'll be happy. I would've been stuck with a similar choice if I'd not gotten into Cambridge - whether to choose Durham or Imperial for physics. Now, in my scenario, Imperial is obviously the better university for physics, but I would, in the end have probably gone for Durham, because I know I'd be happier there than in London.

Again, I am sorry for not answering in the way you wanted, but I just thought I should give my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    Both are on quite equal footing, but I'd got for Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it would be just splitting hairs to pick between them on this basis. Comp sci graduates from both have the pick of the best employers

ReputationRep:
    I never study to any of those two places. I only visited during summer.

But here's a point from a foreigner...

Cambridge is like a famous brand, everybody around the globe knows that Cambridge is a top world ranked institutions.

On the other hand, I've never heard of Imperial before I checked some ranking and forum.
    And that's not just me, most people I asked knew about Oxbridge, but never about Imperial.

So they might be on par on quality, employer offer and reputation in UK. But they're definetly not when it comes to the "worldwide WOAW effect"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkay)
    Hello, my friend recommended this forum for me

I have quite of a problem. Currently I'm holding offers for CompSci/Computing at Cambridge and Imperial and honestly I do not know which one to choose. Its A*AA for Cam and A*AAA for Imperial.

Putting all the other factors like nightlife, city, accomodation and peers aside, I want to know which course will give me better perspectives for the future. Which one will make me a better professional. Which one is in higher regard by employers?

Where would you go if you had same criteria like me?
    Hi!

I also have an offer to read CompSci at Cambridge and I am being interviewed by Imperial this Wednesday.

Of course, I wouldn't like to assume I have an offer from Imperial, but I kind of want to decide if I want to go to Imperial instead of Cambridge.

I am now more inclined to take Cambridge's offer. The main reason is that in the first year you can study a natural science (physics in my case), so you could eventually change at the of first year to read physics in case you prefer this subject (at the discretion of the college, of course).

I'm really interested in this thread.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkay)
    I want to know which course will give me better perspectives for the future. Which one will make me a better professional. Which one is in higher regard by employers?
    Cambridge. It produces the best CS graduates in the UK by a noticeable margin. And I've interviewed a lot of Imperial and Cambridge CS graduates.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is great for comsci, but I wonder how are you going to turn down Cambridge.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.