Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I know there was a thread about accents recently but this is slightly different.

I've moved around the country a lot since I was a child so my accent became indistinguishable but I settled in the North (Liverpool) in my teens and I started picking up on parts of the accent. Not to cause any offence but I'm female and think that the Liverpudlian accent sounds absolutely dreadful on women.
    The problem is that I know I've picked up on it but I don't know what in particular makes me sound scouse so I can't eliminate it. So 2 things:

1) What makes someone sound scouse (so that I can stop doing it!)?
    2) If not that, then how can I generally clean up my accent?

I'd also like to say that it is not my indentity so I don't want to be 'proud' of it - I pretty much don't have an identitly because I only lived in the place where I was born as a baby and then moved around a lot.

Just to reiterate - this isn't meant to cause offence, things would be boring if we all sounded the same, it's just that personally I hate this accent and don't want to have it!

Thank you...

ReputationRep:
    1) they sound like they have barrels of flem on the top of their mouth

2) practice
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Seeing as I live pretty close to Liverpool I hear the Scouse accent a lot. I dislike it when people deliberately make it stronger in an attempt to prevent 'outsiders' from understanding. But a slightly Scouse accent isn't too bad imo.

ReputationRep:
    Speech therapy maybe? I don't know. I imagine it'd be quite hard to get rid of an accent if you've had it a while.

ReputationRep:
    take elocution lessons? move south before it becomes too ingrained

ReputationRep:
    I find the jamaican patois accent quite horrible, although I'm not racist.

Accents are quite hard to change, really, as they're mostly determined by the area in which you were born/ live in.

ReputationRep:
    Pick a model to accent your voice on, and shadow their voice. It should be sentences rather than individual words, otherwise you'll forget, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    say grarss, glarss etc.
    dont go all flemmy
    speak slowly.
    dont say erm in the way gerrard does.
    practice in a mirror i guess, speaking slowly copying an accent you want.

im just presuming you want the general southern accent..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by dannylj)
    say grarss, glarss etc.
    ...but that would be wrong...
    There's way too much inconsistancy if you try and speak like that.

For example, say "fast" then "breakfast".

say grarss, glarss etc.
    dont go all flemmy
    speak slowly.
    dont say erm in the way gerrard does.
    practice in a mirror i guess, speaking slowly copying an accent you want.

im just presuming you want the general southern accent..
    Yes, I was thinking about the pronunciation of 'glass' etc.
    But how could I do it subtly because if the rest of my accent sounds Northern and they I go and say ''glarrrs'' people with think I'm an idiot .

Also on words like 'why' I say the 'I' sound as in 'eeyeee' rather than the softer sounding 'I' in the south (not sure how to communicate that phonectically though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes, I was thinking about the pronunciation of 'glass' etc.
    But how could I do it subtly because if the rest of my accent sounds Northern and they I go and say ''glarrrs'' people with think I'm an idiot .

Also on words like 'why' I say the 'I' sound as in 'eeyeee' rather than the softer sounding 'I' in the south (not sure how to communicate that phonectically though).
    if you moved down south then your accent would change, i dont really see how you could change it because of the reasons you said before. i personally dont see whats wrong with a scouse accent.

if you moved down south then your accent would change, i dont really see how you could change it because of the reasons you said before. i personally dont see whats wrong with a scouse accent.
    Yes but I don't want to move down south just to change my accent - even if I did I don't have the financial means. I have a life and a job/friends here. I don't understand your second point - my accent changed a lot because I moved around a lot, simple.
    Yes, it's a subjective matter. Some people may even like the scouse accent but I personally don't and I don't wish to have it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.