Turn on thread page Beta

I don't understand the university ranking system HELP!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand why a 1st degree from university A would be more reputable than from university B. What i have gathered from the forum that a lot of lectures are missed because the resources are online and that university is mainly about becoming independent in researching course material etc i.e here is an essay title go and research with references and construct a massive essay so it is all about what the student does not what the university does for the student.

I take it university A which is ranked higher in the league table than B doesn't hold the students hand through the course anymore than B. So i can only conclude that the students make the university not the other way around so why is there a huge emphasis on getting into the best university. Is a degree's content more challenging if you went to study at university A surely if this was true it would be recognised as a different branch of degree i mean its just a misconception which should be corrected
    I don't know much about university in all honestly so does the core modules and the content vary at different university as you travel up the league table? Is what i said wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure i can't overlook the influence that teaching will have upon the degree as i am sure university A will have far better teachers than B but if the content doesn't vary significantly then surely a student gaining a first should be greater respected from uni B than A like how a person is respected more for gaining A's at 'worst school in the country' than a person at a 30,000 per annum boarding school right?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.