Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To those who think reading is boring and that people who enjoy reading are sad watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think in such a manner?

What, are you having a hard time at St Andrews because of your interest in reading? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Some people don't like big words

ReputationRep:
    Do people really judge like this?
    I mean, I knew that some people weren't into reading, but I didn't think that people judged others quite so harshly for not reading.

ReputationRep:
    Reading makes me fall asleep

That makes be become unproductive.

ReputationRep:
    Reading: solitary activity.
    Perceptions of those whom participate in such atrocity?
    Introverted, antisocial misfits/schoolshooter etc.

I like to read a book that interests me.

ReputationRep:
    some people get shocked when i devour a long book in hours when it takes them months.
    they think im weird for not playing computer games...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    What, are you having a hard time at St Andrews because of your interest in reading? :lol:
    Still breaking up inside. I see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Some people just don't have the mental capacity to enjoy a little bit of light fantasy.
    Who said anything about light LOTR ftw!

ReputationRep:
    I used to enjoy reading until uni started telling me to read books about road traffic management.

ReputationRep:
    colloquial/social norm. there is no other logical/rational reason. :yep:

Look at it this way, enjoyment is subjective, right? So people who read are either more intellectual, have a developed imagination, etc.

Most people may not enjoy reading, but this doesn't mean that there are some things more inherently enjoyable than others. There is no evidence of such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'd actually like to know the answer to this question as well. Years back our school decided to get us to write down what books we read each week in our exercise books - most of the class couldn't think of anything to write down because they'd not read any, I couldn't think of any because I'd read so many.

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to find many of those on TSR :p:

Why would you read words when you can look at people saying them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    Why would you read words when you can look at people saying them?
    Quite a lot of people speak ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Some people just don't have the mental capacity to enjoy a little bit of light fantasy.
    Or see the point. That time could be used to eat a yoghurt.

ReputationRep:
    cuz the film is always better innit

Nah, I still have no idea why people cant enjoy a good book. I keep asking my friends why they dont read and they say its boring, even though none of them have ever read a book.
    So id say misconceptons is the main reason why people think reading is sad.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? I thought it was abnormal to not read books

ReputationRep:
    Reading = introvert
    Introvert = negative reaction

It's as simple as that, there's no logic to it. We live in an actively extroverted society that cannot, nor ever will, understand the introvert let alone accept him/her as a social norm that is both necessary and essential to humankind.

(the same thing applies to aloofness, and why that's frowned upon, just like secluding yourself from the pack and pursuing solitary activity is now just frowned upon but seen as alarming to the extent of being disturbing. No-one is alarmed by many extrovert norms which generally cause more damage to society as a whole and in the process fractures not only relationships but many other things. If you're an extrovert you can get away with much more in any particular field than you would as an introvert, be it employment, romance, whatever).

ReputationRep:
    Begbie's argument from Trainspotting...

See if it wis up tae me, ah'd git ivray ****ing book n pit thum on a great ****ing pile n burn the ****ing loat. Aw books is fur smart ****s tae show oaf aboot how much sh*** thuv ****ing read. Ye git aw ye ****ing need tae ken ootay the paper n fae the telly. Posing ****s.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.