The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
explosions hurt
Quite a lot of people speak ****.

Hmm, I wasn't being entirely serious there.
Books :love:
To those people, I start throwing paperback editions of War and Peace at them...

Yeah, dodge that ****** :p:
I read factual books all the time but I dont read fiction very often (I read 2 fictional books maybe a year). I just don't like fantasy books very much. I don't look down on people who read them though. I prefer to live out my own exciting fantasy/story through having amazing, broad life experiences rather than just sitting in a room in my house dreaming of wonderful things through books. I need to get there and live them
Reply 24
I'm interested to find the answer to this. I spend alot of time reading, and am now 'teaching' reading to some lower school kids, (I'm in 6 form) and the reason they need the teaching is because they don't read much at all - I just can't understand why.
Reading :love:

Although I hardly read anything during my A Levels as English made me over-analyse every book I read, even if it was crappy chick-lit :rolleyes:
LukeatForest
Reading = introvert
Introvert = negative reaction

It's as simple as that, there's no logic to it. We live in an actively extroverted society that cannot, nor ever will, understand the introvert let alone accept him/her as a social norm that is both necessary and essential to humankind.

(the same thing applies to aloofness, and why that's frowned upon, just like secluding yourself from the pack and pursuing solitary activity is now just frowned upon but seen as alarming to the extent of being disturbing. No-one is alarmed by many extrovert norms which generally cause more damage to society as a whole and in the process fractures not only relationships but many other things. If you're an extrovert you can get away with much more in any particular field than you would as an introvert, be it employment, romance, whatever).

This is true. The reality is also that there are always differences in people, despite what the colloquial values of society say.

I don't care either way, since there is no logical basis to this argument. Somebody who is introverted is causing me no harm. :yep:
Call of Duty is more fun?...

I haven't read much fiction in a while, used to read lots up til about 12. Now I pretty much only read books related to Maths or Physics.
Reply 28
I love reading :woo: . It can transport me to a world far away from this one. Just waiting to get my new (reading) glasses before I can comfortably see to read some new books!!.
I like reading, but only non-fiction books because I just like to keep absorbing information and facts and have good general knowledge. Even reading magazines (informative ones) and newspapers is really good it broadens the mind and your understanding of things :yep:

Made up fictional literature sends me to sleep though, and I havn't really ever been to keen on reading them I just find it a waste of time. There's not much I can apply to real life by reading them. I think the only book I've actually read voluntarily is Oliver Twist...and ofcourse there's of mice and men, romeo and juliet, merchant of venice etc. that I had to do for english. But each to their own! Reading's good for you :yep:
I used to read all the time, now I tend to go through periods where I won't read anything for a month and then I'll race through 3 or 4 books in a week. People who say it's boring are, ironically, some of the most boring people around in my experience. :smile:
Reply 31
Because people cant imagine whatever the story is? They just see it as words on a page. Its like that with me and Twilight. It makes no sense to me because it cant possibly happen.
I would love to have a habit of reading but it's just the idea of actually sitting there and (using the energy to) hold a book up for hours that's kinda irritating.. it's easier to watch TV or go out to eat with friends or something.

I'm kinda ashamed having NEVER read a book as far as I can remember - even more so since I'm doing a language degree!
matrix15
I used to enjoy reading until uni started telling me to read books about road traffic management.

Yeah, uni spoiled it for me as well. I hope I'll get my reading enjoyment back during the holidays, or at least when I finish uni.

Fantasy FTW!! It's like fairy-tales, but you're not frowned upon for reading them :p:
innerhollow
Pretty much any activity not related to sport, alcohol or Call of Duty can be considered sad where I live. There is no rational reason for thinking in such a manner. People are just generally idiots who aren't comfortable with the thought of people having different interests and hobbies to them.

I lvoe that Call of Duty is considered cool these days.
Reply 35
It depends on the perspective of the individual. I actually think many of those that don't read are the sad and boring ones.

It also depends on what you like to read. Boring people like to read boring things and on goes the vicious cycle of boringness.
Because they don't have the imagination or mental capacity to understand what it's like.
Eveiebaby
I read factual books all the time but I dont read fiction very often (I read 2 fictional books maybe a year). I just don't like fantasy books very much. I don't look down on people who read them though. I prefer to live out my own exciting fantasy/story through having amazing, broad life experiences rather than just sitting in a room in my house dreaming of wonderful things through books. I need to get there and live them

That sort of voids your previous sentence but anyway...

I read a lot I have so many books. I tend to be a bit of a critic when reading a book as in I'll buy a book and read it but if it in anyway stops being interesting or rambles I just stop reading it and buy another one. XD My attention span is not very good. I've read a lot of books all the way through because they've kept me hooked throughout but some vary rarely do these days.

I love books I don't understand people who don't like you, but oh well.
Reply 38
Some people don't enjoy reading for what it is.

And anyone who has this view is someone I can laugh at because they are missing out.
Spinnerette
That sort of voids your previous sentence but anyway...

I read a lot I have so many books. I tend to be a bit of a critic when reading a book as in I'll buy a book and read it but if it in anyway stops being interesting or rambles I just stop reading it and buy another one. XD My attention span is not very good. I've read a lot of books all the way through because they've kept me hooked throughout but some vary rarely do these days.

I love books I don't understand people who don't like you, but oh well.

Just because I said that that I cant stay in and read very often doesnt mean I'm looking down on people or have a lack of respect for those who do it. I do read, but I don't really enjoy reading fiction.

I prefer to live out fantasy rather than reading about it. I'm a do-er and I prefer reality.

Latest

Trending

Trending