Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heeey lovely people

Basically I didn't realise there was a way to see which college you'd been moved to on the AES until someone on here informed me earlier and I discovered I've been moved from Hatfield to Hild Bede.
    It seems really really sporty and although I'm not a complete idiot at sport it's not something I'm especially fantastic at. Is it really all that sporty? What's it like to be in that college?

If someone'd enlighten me I'd love them. And possibly do that 'rep' thing once I've worked that out! x

ReputationRep:
    AMAZING!!!

We have loads of sports teams, so even if you just want to have a go you can be in a team (or you can just go to training for fun) - it won't be a case of you can't be in a team because you're new to the sport. ;o)

As the biggest college, we've got the most freshers (obviously) but also our site's a massive 16 acres, so there are loads of places to sit outside, and we've got tennis/netball courts, a big bar and dining room, and this year nobody's had to share a room either.

We're also right on the river, so if you want to row you don't have to wake up too early in the morning, just ten minutes before you're due on the river. Overall, we're a really sociable college - and the only one with two weeks of freshers events. It's really easy to meet new people, either at dinner/in the bar/just walking around really! There are 6 different accommodation blocks too, so if you meet someone from another block you'll usually get to know their corridor - and other people in their block - really fast.

If you have any more questions, just let me know.

EDIT - who neg repped this?!

ReputationRep:
    aah thankyou
    i was just a bit nervous that it'd be really really sporty and i'd be way out of my depth, the only other person i know who's applied there plays county cricket or something like that!
    it does sound nice though thanks!
    x

ReputationRep:
    Well, just to give you an idea - our 1st netball team's currently top of the college premiership division, but we have 3 teams, so people who haven't played netball since about year 8 still get games.

ReputationRep:
    HILD BEEEDE.

Honest, it's incredible. I love it here. It already feels like home, we're close enough to town that it's only 10 minutes to tescos, but in the nicest location (view over the river/cathedral = win), there're always lovely people to meet because it's so big so you never feel claustrophobic, and the porters are incredible too. Also, the thing said above about the accomodation and meeting people's whole corridors is definitely true, you meet one person from say, Thorpe, and suddenly you have a whole bunch of new friends.
    Oh and, most importantly (of course), we're so close to Klute that you can just roll out at 2.00 in the morning and be home by 2.05.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Well, just to give you an idea - our 1st netball team's currently top of the college premiership division, but we have 3 teams, so people who haven't played netball since about year 8 still get games.
    Hahaha Thanks for the rep, sending some back (even though my rep means actually nothing, every little helps eh?)
    Kluuuuuttteeeee
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OP: Its sporty yeah, but in a good way, you can get involved in anything you like as there are so many teams. You'll be glad you got moved from Hatfield definitely :p:.

(Original post by drencharmstrong)
    HILD BEEEDE.

Honest, it's incredible. I love it here. It already feels like home, we're close enough to town that it's only 10 minutes to tescos, but in the nicest location (view over the river/cathedral = win), there're always lovely people to meet because it's so big so you never feel claustrophobic, and the porters are incredible too. Also, the thing said above about the accomodation and meeting people's whole corridors is definitely true, you meet one person from say, Thorpe, and suddenly you have a whole bunch of new friends.
    Oh and, most importantly (of course), we're so close to Klute that you can just roll out at 2.00 in the morning and be home by 2.05.
    You're not doing Klute right if you can get back that fast :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)

You're not doing Klute right if you can get back that fast :p:.
    You are when drunkenness brings on the urge to 'race' your friends...

ReputationRep:
    OP: Its sporty yeah, but in a good way, you can get involved in anything you like as there are so many teams.
    Oh that's cool
    I'm always happy to join in, just not amazingly talented!
    What's the accommodation like? You get your own room don't you?

x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pudding&pie)
    Oh that's cool
    I'm always happy to join in, just not amazingly talented!
    What's the accommodation like? You get your own room don't you?

x
    Yup, don't think anyone had to share at all this year :p:.

Accomodation is pretty good in general, room sizes vary hugely but they are all nice (mine is massive whilst some people have not much room for more than bed and desk. Some people even have double rooms which have been converted to singles aka huuge.)

ReputationRep:
    Yup, don't think anyone had to share at all this year :p:.

Accomodation is pretty good in general, room sizes vary hugely but they are all nice (mine is massive whilst some people have not much room for more than bed and desk. Some people even have double rooms which have been converted to singles aka huuge.)

ah that sounds mint one of my doubts about the bailey colleges was the whole room-sharing thing. i have been informed by my friends that i sleep-talk and that would be a massive social faux-pas uniwise! :eek3:

thanks for your help anyway, i felt a bit thrown in at the deep end this morning as i hadn't visited hild bede or anything! much more reassured now x

ReputationRep:
    Sport is not compulsory!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.