Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im 19 and i work full time at the minute, i started after 6th form where i got an AS level in biology (E) and an A level in psychology (E) quite obviously not the best results with a grand total of 60 whole UCAS points. Anyway i want to go on to do a foundation degree, which by the looks of it are a minimum of 80 points. Am i best trying and see if they will take me (aerospace engineering) or take on an a-level course and stick in get more points?

any help much appreciated, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    What about an Access diploma? I'm doing one, they're one year long and cover pretty much the same as A levels. And at the end of it, you get a qualification equivalent to three A levels. And (I think) since it would be your first level 3 qualification, you can get a lot of financial support etc.

ReputationRep:
    that sounds good, what course are you doing? il have to look into it more but i want to start it asap any ideas when they generally run? is it in september just like college courses

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an Access to Social Sciences, that's Sociology, Psychology, Government and Politics, I.T. and Law, there's a lot of freedom over what modules you do (I'm interested in Psychology so I'm doing 3/4 psych modules, one sociology unit and then a law, government and politics and I.T. unit, whereas other people in my class are doing 3 sociology, 2 law, that kind of thing). It's just like a college course, yep!

ReputationRep:
    sounds busy haha. but i must admit looks good, where are you doing yours at?

looks like theres some that go for 2 years aswell but im guessing this leads onto a foundation course if you want it to?

ReputationRep:
    Mm, I think if you really need to you can do it over two years if your college allows it - I'm just doing mine at my local college, nowhere special! I think pretty much everywhere will offer them. Make sure it's OCN registered/approved though!

ReputationRep:
    i will if i go for it, il have a look into it. my girlfriend is doing a national certificate in engineering but its over 2 years, whats th difference between these two? might sounds naive but which is better?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I've not heard of a national certificate! But I would imagine that's pretty much completely geared towards engineering? I'd say best thing to do is ring a few of your local colleges and see what they offer and what they say

ReputationRep:
    yeah its a 2 year course goes onto a foundation degree, its in aerospace engineering (mechanical)
    thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    I'm on an access course and it's been nice. I've learnt to write much better essays and taken subjects that relate to what I want to do at uni... and it's been a good experience so far, worst bit has been missing the money from my full-time job but its been a sacrifice worth making.

However you get there, best of luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    hey you should try Key skills.. there worth 10 ucas points.. for example Key Skills ICT level 2 would be 10 ucas points.. just a suggestion

ReputationRep:
    tempting, see theres loads of different options that keep popping up. Ive had a look in a prospectus and theres an aerospace engineering course starting 22nd of this month but theyve cancelled it due to lack of interest. so i will have to go for the one in september, might do a 20 week course in the meanwhile, oxy-acetylene gas welding looks interesting i must say, city and guilds qualification aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j55)
    Hi, im 19 and i work full time at the minute, i started after 6th form where i got an AS level in biology (E) and an A level in psychology (E) quite obviously not the best results with a grand total of 60 whole UCAS points. Anyway i want to go on to do a foundation degree, which by the looks of it are a minimum of 80 points. Am i best trying and see if they will take me (aerospace engineering) or take on an a-level course and stick in get more points?

any help much appreciated, cheers.
    Your best bet is to contact the unis you are interested in and ask them what they will accept.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.