Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently considering doing it. Atm I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Psychology and Critical Thinking all to AS. I'm going to self teach S1 for the summer exams.

I'm thinking of dropping Psychology (and Critical Thinking, obviously) and instead take up AS and A2 Further Maths, along with A2 Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

Either that, or maybe take on Psychology A2 and just a Further Maths AS... I'm not sure.

I am aiming to go to universities such as Bristol, not necessarily Oxbridge, to pursue a science degree. I'm very interested in Maths though, so I guess my options will be more open.

What are your views on this? Will it be incredibly difficult, 1.5 Maths A-levels in a year? Really I should have chose Further Maths from the start, but I'll try to make up for it... There are two people in my college atm in the year above who are doing the same. I am prepared to work hard, and although I do intend to have a social life in the weekend (mainly Sundays), I know where my priorities lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    I'm currently considering doing it. Atm I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Psychology and Critical Thinking all to AS. I'm going to self teach S1 for the summer exams.

I'm thinking of dropping Psychology (and Critical Thinking, obviously) and instead take up AS and A2 Further Maths, along with A2 Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

Either that, or maybe take on Psychology A2 and just a Further Maths AS... I'm not sure.

I am aiming to go to universities such as Bristol, not necessarily Oxbridge, to pursue a science degree. I'm very interested in Maths though, so I guess my options will be more open.

What are your views on this? Will it be incredibly difficult, 1.5 Maths A-levels in a year? Really I should have chose Further Maths from the start, but I'll try to make up for it... There are two people in my college atm in the year above who are doing the same. I am prepared to work hard, and although I do intend to have a social life in the weekend (mainly Sundays), I know where my priorities lie.
    I know someone who did it last year. She did 9 maths modules in her Upper Sixth, but was only doing A2 English besides the maths. She got A in both Maths and Further Maths and is now doing Maths at Bath.

She had to be very organised about getting homework done for all the different modules. She was in lessons for nearly all of it - with a First Year Further Maths set for M1 (so she got it done by Christmas), C3, C4 and S2 with one second year group, M2 with another (after Christmas), FP1 - 3 with one of the second year Further sets. She had a few lessons in September to rush through C4 integration to get ready for the integration in FP2. She did D1 with just a few one-to-one sessions with a teacher, because the lessons clashed with her English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    I know someone who did it last year. She did 9 maths modules in her Upper Sixth, but was only doing A2 English besides the maths. She got A in both Maths and Further Maths and is now doing Maths at Bath.

She had to be very organised about getting homework done for all the different modules. She was in lessons for nearly all of it - with a First Year Further Maths set for M1 (so she got it done by Christmas), C3, C4 and S2 with one second year group, M2 with another (after Christmas), FP1 - 3 with one of the second year Further sets. She had a few lessons in September to rush through C4 integration to get ready for the integration in FP2. She did D1 with just a few one-to-one sessions with a teacher, because the lessons clashed with her English.
    Hmm, so it is possible... even though she did English whereas I'm going to do sciences... I'm doing D1 for AS Maths this year, my teacher said he's going to blitz it in 4 weeks. My A2 Maths set would be doing S1 next year, but since I will have already done that, I won't be in those lessons. So that gives me at least a bit of time to revise for the other maths.

Funnily enough, there is someone else in my class who is going to take just English along with the Maths next year too! So at least I won't be alone in the boat. She is very, very clever.

ReputationRep:

I'm doing exactly the same as you, AS and A2 Further Maths in Year 13 alongside 3 other A2s. As long as you're prepared to do a lot of work and get quite a few modules out of the way in January, then go for it.

Any more questions, just ask

ReputationRep:
    If you're as determined as you say you are, i reckon you'll be fine
    Also if you have the mathematical insight, it shouldn't really take you long to grasp the concepts. From my experience doing nothing but past test papers will easily get you above 90% on modules.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly possible.
    Back with the older spec pre-2008, when the AS further math modules required A2 maths knowledge...doing both AS and A2 in one year was very common and it used to be taught that way in my school because teachers knew students couldn't do that FP1 without having done C3/C4.

So yeah with the new FM spec (which is child's play compared to the old) it's definately possible, just put the work in and cover all the modules and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, i'm doing 9 maths modules this year (though they are all FM modules) + physics and philosophy A-levels. Its certainly possible if you are willing to put the work in, and with maths if you understand the concepts quickly its not too much hard work.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. I'm sitting A level maths and AS further maths this year which is 9 modules, and it's fine tbh, so you'll be fine too.

ReputationRep:
    What a relief to see so many other people who are in the same boat as me! I too am going to take AS and A2 Further maths in one year. If only I could've picked it right from the start. I'll be doing Chemistry A2 and Physics A2 alongside so shouldn't be too hard since they're all quite related. I've been talking to a lot of my teachers lately and I think I'll have to do some modules over summer and if I didn't mishear the head of maths, perhaps something about starting S1 and S3 now, if that's what he said then that'll be awesome . I've just got to go in tomorrow and speak with him some more...

ReputationRep:

Don't worry mate, I'm doing 24 modules in may.....chemistry, physics, maths and further maths AS and A level. Maths and further maths together itself i have to do 12 modules.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.