Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why were the Bolsheviks able to survive from 1917-24? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    that's basically it
    And yes it is my homework, but I have no bloody idea AT ALL because I missed all the notes on this doing exams & toboganning in snow...
    And generally didn't do much in History so all I'm reading about this now doesn't connect, or make sense...

Could people just give me some simple reasons I can then read about? Thanksss

ReputationRep:
    Lack of unified opposition.
    A strong message.
    Power

ReputationRep:
    wasnt this also to do with someone calling the Bolsheviks to help with the 'potential' attack which then made them look as if they were defending their country (not helpful i know i did this exam about 2 weeks ago and have forgotten everything but might make sense to you?)sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Hey guys,
    that's basically it
    And yes it is my homework, but I have no bloody idea AT ALL because I missed all the notes on this doing exams & toboganning in snow...
    And generally didn't do much in History so all I'm reading about this now doesn't connect, or make sense...

Could people just give me some simple reasons I can then read about? Thanksss
    Various factors.

1) Lack of unified opposition- The Provisional Government were powerless to the Bolsheviks.
    2) Peace, Bread and Land- Ending Russia's involvement in WW1 and ensuring that peasants had greater rights in keeping hold of their land. Remember, peasants made up 80% of Russia at this time.

They won the Russian Civil War because:

1) They were united and had one cause: to defeat the Whites.
    2) The Whites, on the other hand, were disunited, with differing ambitions. For instance, the reasons for the former Tsarists fighting were different to that of the foreigners.
    3) Foreign intervention was ineffective. Soldiers had just returned from WW1 action.
    4) Whites scattered all over place, while Reds had access to the most productive of places in country.
    5) Leadership skills of Lenin and, in particular, Trotsky.

ReputationRep:
    I've just done the Tsarist Russia exam (1855-1917) and have managed eliminate most information from my brain! But what to concentrate on is the time period; your answer must include stuff about the Revolution and thereafter (I'm sorry but I didn't study past 1917...). History examiners/teachers also love contextual info, so drop in the fact that they in fact did not hold much power prior to 1917; Lenin was in hiding etc. Mention the Tsar's abdication. The general discontent with the Tsarist regime is a big factor; for many years (in particular the peasantry) were given hope in the form of many different reforms (emancipation mainly) all of which pretty much failed and introduced a new type of slavery, made them more out of pocket and such.

The general feeling of the Russian population was one of restlessness, just as Lenin said prior to the 1917 Revolution "an uprising is the order of the day" or something like that! Change seriously needed to happen and the Bolsheviks managed to push forward this change.

Sorry that was really cr*p!

One thing which is very important to remember is to make arguments for and against. Yes, the question asks WHY the Bolsheviks were able to survive but also put in information about any opposition.

Hope this helps a little bit!

ReputationRep:
    Because of the vastness of Russia and it's ability for subsist in spite of the international blockade, because of the central nature of control, of which could requisist grain and suppress opposition, due to the Bolshevik spirit which fostered in many a belief they were making a greater society for the future, hence making people willingly suffer more onerous conditions, because of the ability to blame a portion of the problems on WW1, due to Lenin's personality cult, because Tsarism was nearly equally dismal and despotic etc.

I guess opposition is of notability, considering it was fragmented to start with, while suppression subverted a significant portion of it, such as the systematic destruction of Nestor Makhno's black army, or even the quelling of the Kronstadt uprising.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, don't forget that after the end of the Civil War, famine was rife. In order to deal with this, Lenin adopted the "New Economic Policy", which was very much a capitalist economic system. However, it was really effective as it helped get the country moving again. Check up the NEP on Wiki as it is vitally important in this context.

ReputationRep:
    - They controlled the centre and the main railway lines.
    - The opposition wasn't united.
    - The adoption of the NEP

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou guys!!
    It seems to be going OK now, I have the main reasons and we have done the NEP in detail, thank god...just need to get more info on the rest and should be a non-failsome essay

ReputationRep:
    HA I may actually have this essay written out somewhere on my computer..

But that would, you know, be cheating. :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    Peace, Bread and Land. Stole it from the SR's I believe

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.