Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No immediate swingeing cuts under Tories... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hmm just heard this on BBC news, here's a like to an article in the guardian on it(first newspaper link when I googled)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...-spending-cuts

also there's their issue with council tax today....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...cil-tax-freeze

Seems to me Cameron needs to be careful about his rhetoric, and his actual policies. All this confusion about what he says, and what the party actually plans to do, isn't going to help stop the slight lowering of their lead in the poles this month.

ReputationRep:
    Incredible. Cameron bashed Labour's plans to half the deficit as not going far enough, and disagreed with Vince Cable's view that cuts should wait until the economy is in stable growth. He has had the apparently "out of control" deficit a corner-stone of his campaign and the need for deep cuts as his main focus for months. But now he turns around to propose pretty much exactly the same fiscal policy as Labour - that is gentle but not enormous cuts. The implication being that the deficit isn't nearly as bad as he told us it was, and that Labour's levels of public spending are broadly correct. This is the complete opposite of what Cameron has been trying to tell us for over a year.

Can Cameron be any more hypocritical? Can he be any less principled? I don't think he can.

Call Me Dave has really outdone himself on this one.
    Why do people genuinley think he will be any better than Brown and New Labour?

ReputationRep:
    No immediate swingeing cuts under Tories.

Simply delaying the inevitable to win the election. Murdoch will convince his readers to vote tory, even if they have no interest or anything to gain from it.

ReputationRep:
    We have to cut, he doesn't want to introduce them straight away, don't know why, haven't properly read the report. I'm concerned that New Labour won't and continue their uncontrollable spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RooKnight)
    We have to cut,

he doesn't want to introduce them straight away, don't know why, haven't properly read the report. I'm concerned that New Labour won't and continue their uncontrollable spending.
    We have to otherwise your sig will be even more wrong?

Nu Labour has already said they will once a recovery has established (and not before the election naturally)

ReputationRep:
    This guy goes around calling himself "what Britain needs", and continually says that his party will bring "change".

Bull. He's just a big-government loving fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Incredible. Cameron bashed Labour's plans to half the deficit as not going far enough, and disagreed with Vince Cable's view that cuts should wait until the economy is in stable growth. He has had the apparently "out of control" deficit a corner-stone of his campaign and the need for deep cuts as his main focus for months. But now he turns around to propose pretty much exactly the same fiscal policy as Labour - that is gentle but not enormous cuts. The implication being that the deficit isn't nearly as bad as he told us it was, and that Labour's levels of public spending are broadly correct. This is the complete opposite of what Cameron has been trying to tell us for over a year.

Can Cameron be any more hypocritical? Can he be any less principled? I don't think he can.
    it does seem rather comical. It seems like he's testing the waters on every issue, stretching out tentacles and seeing what people like.

People like him saying he'll do something different, being honest etc. But then now cuts vs no cuts is actually being looked into and some famous foreign figures are criticising the Tory approach, he's trying something different.

It's like he's testing what's the most popular view to take on every subject. So next week it might be single mums, first he'd try more support for them. But if there was a bit of a backlash and couples said it wasn't fair, he'd backtrack, he'd then examine the responses to both, and decide whether it's worth stating something which loses some of the electorate, but gains him more elsewhere.

We have to cut, he doesn't want to introduce them straight away, don't know why, haven't properly read the report. I'm concerned that New Labour won't and continue their uncontrollable spending.
    I don't think you understand the effect of the cuts that Call Me Dave is proposing regardless of the state of the economy after the election.
    It will most likely throw the country back into recession,and he knows that,hence him admitting taxes will not go down and there won't be cuts immediately.
    Man of the people Dave can only ride on some facade of populism for so long,he knows he has to give up the act soon...

I also imagine the figure in your sig will change again soon,maybe next wednesday...or thursday? hmm who knows...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    I don't think you understand the effect of the cuts that Call Me Dave is proposing regardless of the state of the economy after the election.
    No I don't, do you?

If so then enlighten me/us please.

(Original post by Quady)
    No I don't, do you?

If so then enlighten me/us please.
    Well look at the state of the economy at the moment after eighteen months of running the economy hooked up to a life support machine.
    Britain is starting to pull itself out of recession,interest rates are at a 400 year low,equity and corporate bond prices are going up,quantatitve easing has boosted the finance sector and the housing market has stabilised. The kind of cuts that Dave is proposing,which will reverse the stimuli,and cut public expenditure,at such a uneasy moment,could plunge Britain back into the recession.
    Neither party has a policy for growth but what Cameron is proposing (whether he does what he says is another thing) would be extremely detrimental to our economy.

ReputationRep:
    Well look at the state of the economy at the moment after eighteen months of running the economy hooked up to a life support machine.
    Britain is starting to pull itself out of recession,interest rates are at a 400 year low,equity and corporate bond prices are going up,quantatitve easing has boosted the finance sector and the housing market has stabilised. The kind of cuts that Dave is proposing,which will reverse the stimuli,and cut public expenditure,at such a uneasy moment,could plunge Britain back into the recession.
    Neither party has a policy for growth but what Cameron is proposing (whether he does what he says is another thing) would be extremely detrimental to our economy.
    So you couldn't say where there will be cuts?

fyi the BoE does QE and interest rates so Dave doesn't get a vast amaount of choice there. In any case inflating out of recession doesn't make people better off.

(Original post by Quady)
    So you couldn't say where there will be cuts?

fyi the BoE does QE and interest rates so Dave doesn't get a vast amaount of choice there. In any case inflating out of recession doesn't make people better off.
    Well the key to my man Dave is he hasn't really specified where these cuts will be. He seems to be a keen believer in just perceiving opinion is moving towards cutting the budget deficit as Labour have used strong Keynesian policies throughout the recession,and jump on the back of that.
    The announcement today shows he knows huge cuts would be a bad idea,just another revelation in the facade of Call Me Dave.

My point about QE and interest rates were they are a sign of a recovering economy,and any attempt at reversing the stimuli would reverse the recovery and send it back into recession.

ReputationRep:
    Well the key to my man Dave is he hasn't really specified where these cuts will be. He seems to be a keen believer in just perceiving opinion is moving towards cutting the budget deficit as Labour have used strong Keynesian policies throughout the recession,and jump on the back of that.
    The announcement today shows he knows huge cuts would be a bad idea,just another revelation in the facade of Call Me Dave.
    So would he cut deeper/sooner than labour or not? You don't seem to know, yet your first post was quite clear he would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So would he cut deeper/sooner than labour or not? You don't seem to know, yet your first post was quite clear he would.
    to be fair I don't think even Cameron knows at the moment, seems to make it up as he goes along.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Watching the news, headline is the 'Huge Cuts in Higher Education'. Well so much for Education, Education, Education. This I guess pulls a positive, just not for me, therefore I oppose it.

ReputationRep:
    Watching the news, headline is the 'Huge Cuts in Higher Education'. Well so much for Education, Education, Education. This I guess pulls a positive, just not for me, therefore I oppose it.
    So you approve of cuts in theory but just not in practise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So you approve of cuts in theory but just not in practise?
    No, again I say it pulls positives, I fully support the cuts. At last we see some effort to cut the deficit. I jested that it would hit me hard as I am looking to go into higher education in the next year and a half so the cut in funding hits me hard. Just have to work harder now!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, Mandleson has announced major cuts to higher education. Labour can cut....can the Tories and their oh so soft "ring fencing the NHS" (the biggest state bureaucracy in Europe) have the balls to match the cuts.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never heard of the word 'swingeing' before this week.

Call Me Dave has really outdone himself on this one.
    Why do people genuinley think he will be any better than Brown and New Labour?
    1. David Cameron has never asked anyone to call him Dave in his life, so far as I'm aware.

2. Because people realise that every Labour government has been economically disastrous for this country as a result of their outlandish ideological commitments. Gordon Brown, once considered a great chancellor, has now been thoroughly outed.

Ultimately though, it's because few people can see anything worse than the present government. It is so utterly disconnected from the public that it has become something of a running joke.

(Original post by joey11223)
    it does seem rather comical. It seems like he's testing the waters on every issue, stretching out tentacles and seeing what people like.

People like him saying he'll do something different, being honest etc. But then now cuts vs no cuts is actually being looked into and some famous foreign figures are criticising the Tory approach, he's trying something different.

It's like he's testing what's the most popular view to take on every subject. So next week it might be single mums, first he'd try more support for them. But if there was a bit of a backlash and couples said it wasn't fair, he'd backtrack, he'd then examine the responses to both, and decide whether it's worth stating something which loses some of the electorate, but gains him more elsewhere.
    Well, more or less. Taking any view these days will get you shouted down, and I think Cameron ought to appreciate that more than he currently does. Ultimately David Cameron is what the British people demand: a fairly bland man who travels the path of least resistance. They are the ones who are scared of anything remotely controversial, daring or divergent from the norm. If the Britain really wanted change from the Tories, they'd be demanding Daniel Hannan as leader!

Still, do not dismiss a potential Prime Minister so quickly as a popularity chaser. A great many people did that with Tony Blair, even for the first term of his premiership. Look how quickly that opinion changed, and suddenly he became arrogant and presidential.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.