Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My friend is suffering from Bulemia... watch

    • Thread Starter

    And this isn't a metaphor for myself!
    As a person she is quite emotionally demanding, and has been referred to an attention seeker. She confessed to me her bulemia past when we became friends last year, and as time has gone on she has also admitted to relapses when she had boy troubles or self esteem troubles.
    I thought that to be a person to be able to talk to would be enough for her and would help her feel she can open up.
    However recently I feel she is less confessing to problems, but rather unloading them onto me, claiming she doesn't want me to feel duty bound yet still distracting me from my own life and problems.
    I want to be there for her but it's getting to the stage that I would rather she see professional help than depend on me to help her through. There is only so much I can do for her.
    I tried to push her into making an appointment at the hospital but she claimed that her last visit didn't help.
    My point to this ramble is what should my next point of call be?
    I can't pretend to understand what she's going through.
    Any advise would be very much appreciated

    :hugs: Firstly, good on you OP for supporting your friend!

    But you are right in what you say... in that, you're not qualified to help her effectively deal with this problem and she does need to see someone that knows what they're talking about. I think, if she's resisting going to see someone, that all you can do is continue to support her as you have done and continue to offer her chances to seek help elsewhere. You can't take all of this on by yourself after-all, as it's just not fair on either of you.

    Best wishes OP, to you and your friend.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.