Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uea Or Essex..straight Economics, Which To Choose?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey TSR members, i was just wondering after receiving offers from my universities which include: Leicester, royal Holloway, Sussex, uea and Essex, i have shortlisted it down to uea and Essex. (all abb offers apart from sussex which is bbb)

Help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Essex. It has a really strong social sciences department
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Leicester >> RHUL >> UEA >>> Essex >>> Sussex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Leicester >> RHUL >> UEA >>> Essex >>> Sussex
    UEA over Essex :confused:. I am intrigued how you came to that conclusion.

Edit: ok, it appears east anglia have a good economics department :beard:. But then it should be UEA>>Essex>>leicester>>RH>>Susse x

ReputationRep:
    Essex has the best Economics department out of the ones you've listed.

ReputationRep:
    leicester is better overall, it is what matters in this case.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    UEA over Essex :confused:. I am intrigued how you came to that conclusion.

Edit: ok, it appears east anglia have a good economics department :beard:. But then it should be UEA>>Essex>>leicester>>RH>>Susse x
    Im basing them on other things like overall rep too, that's why RHUL is second because of its Uni of London affiliation, Leicester because of its overall reputation. If it was purely on their departments then how you listed them would apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yonni18)
    hey TSR members, i was just wondering after receiving offers from my universities which include: Leicester, royal Holloway, Sussex, uea and Essex, i have shortlisted it down to uea and Essex. (all abb offers apart from sussex which is bbb)

Help would be much appreciated.
    Visit them and make your own mind up.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/uk-be...yrankings.html

UEA is in 7 of the top 9 satisfaction surveys there
    Maybe a little biased since i'm gonna firm UEA but i really liked it, can't say the same about Leicester which i visited

up to you at the end of the day though

ReputationRep:
    oh wow, you guys have replied really fast, thanks for the advice.

And i am planning to visit them all over the next few weeks/month as some open days are coming up, just wanted to have an idea of peoples views, thought it would benefit me.(it has)

Ceteris paribus (in which in my case it is), i guess the accommodation and location will have to be the last factor which solves my dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    How do those rankings work?

ReputationRep:
    Essex - Essex BABBBBBBBBBBBES. Err, yeah I agree with most people, Essex out of the two of them as it has (I think) a stronger repuation and appears to be better for Economics.

Can I just ask, why have you decided against Royal Holloway and Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    go RHUL or Leicester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    I think it's just students go on and can rate their university out of 10, and obviously the higher the average rating the higher they are in the table, i don't think it's the most thorough survey but it is also consistent with the national student survey, east anglia that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    They are done by students who study at that university.

ReputationRep:
    UEA seems to be pretty good but i live in Essex, good nightlife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikehed)
    I think it's just students go on and can rate their university out of 10, and obviously the higher the average rating the higher they are in the table, i don't think it's the most thorough survey but it is also consistent with the national student survey, east anglia that is
    I agree, it sounds pretty weak to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Essex - Essex BABBBBBBBBBBBES. Err, yeah I agree with most people, Essex out of the two of them as it has (I think) a stronger repuation and appears to be better for Economics.

Can I just ask, why have you decided against Royal Holloway and Leicester?
    firstly thanks for the feedback! and secondly..i haven't gone against them, as it may seem (was going to open another thread with rhul Leicester and sussex)...just wanted to put them into two groups, so it would be easier for people to give me feedback.

The basis of the groups was that rhul, leicester and sussex i think are better overall universities...and uea and essex looked like they had better economics departments but lacked the university reputation of the others mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yonni18)
    firstly thanks for the feedback! and secondly..i haven't gone against them, as it may seem (was going to open another thread with rhul Leicester and sussex)...just wanted to put them into two groups, so it would be easier for people to give me feedback.

The basis of the groups was that rhul, leicester and sussex i think are better overall universities...and uea and essex looked like they had better economics departments but lacked the university reputation of the others mentioned.
    Ahh right gotcha, I can see your reasoning. Yeah I suppose it depends how much weight you want to put on either side - university reputation or course reputation. Personally, I'd go for Leicester as its the most respected out of those five, it has a pretty good economics course and Leicester city centre is quite nice. But yeah, I'd say all five of those would be good choices and you're lucky to have offers from all of them. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Incidently to anyone in this thread, what's the problem with Sussex?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.