The Student Room Group
Reply 1
wrooru
i have never been taught how to do second order differential equations before and we have to teach it to ourselves (not going over it in lectures). i have tried looking on the internet for methods of solving but cant work out what its going on about:s-smilie: can someone explain, using this random example i've thought of?

3y" + 5y' - 2y = 2x + 3

Okay, for any 2nd order ODE (ordinary differential equation), you'll want to start off by finding the related auxiliary equation. This auxiliary equation is basically just a quadratic describing the ODE, replacing the terms y'', y' and y with m^2, m and 1. So for this example, the auxiliary equation is:

3m2+5m2=0\displaystyle 3m^2 + 5m - 2 = 0

(Note that, for the time being, we're just considering the right-hand side of the ODE; the left-hand side will be considered afterwards.)

Now, all you need to do is solve (factorise) that quadratic:

(m+2)(3m1)=0\displaystyle (m+2)(3m-1) = 0

Hence you get m1=2m_1=-2 and m2=13m_2=\frac{1}{3} as your solutions. These solutions are combined to give what is termed the particular integral, as follows:

y1=Aem1x+Bem2x=Ae2x+Be13x\displaystyle y_1 = Ae^{m_1x} + Be^{m_2x} = Ae^{-2x} + Be^{\frac{1}{3}x}, where A and B are constants.

Now, if the left-hand side is zero, you just stop here and the general solution is the particular integral as you have just found (above). However, in this example there is a function on the LHS as well, so we proceed to find what is called the complementary function to take this extra part of the ODE into account...

First, try a solution of the form y2=Cx+Dy_2 = Cx + D (a polynomial of degree 1, like the left-hand side). You can now differentiate this twice to obtain expressions for both y2y_2' and y2y_2''. Substituting these values into the original ODE (from the question), gives:

3(0)+5(C)2(Cx+D)=2x+3\displaystyle 3(0) + 5(C) - 2(Cx + D) = 2x + 3

You can now solve to find the values of the constants CC and DD. With that done, it's a simple matter of applying the principle of superposition to get the final answer; the general solution will be equal to the particular integral plus the complementary function, like so:

y=y1+y2=Ae2x+Be13x+Cx+D\displaystyle y = y_1 + y_2 = Ae^{-2x} + Be^{\frac{1}{3}x} + Cx + D, where you've found the values of CC and DD (I can't be bothered to do this at the moment :p:).

If you are given initial conditions (for example, when y = 0, y' = 1 and y'' = 2) then you can apply these - again by susbtitution - to your solution to find the values of AA and BB. Otherwise, you're done. :biggrin:

Differential equations...:love:

PS: If you find the auxiliary equation has two equal roots, then the particular integral will be of the form: Aem1x+Bxem2xAe^{m_1x} + Bxe^{m_2x} (note the extra factor x multiplying the second term).

PPS: If you're dealing with a trigonometric function (eg: sin(x)\sin(x) on the LHS (for the complementary function), remember to try a solution of the form Csin(x)+Dcos(x)C\sin(x) + D\cos(x), even though there is no cosine function on the LHS. This is because the derivatives of sine and cosine interchange with each other...if that makes sense. You probably know what I mean. :o:

If you need any more help or details on the topic, just quote me. :h:

Latest