Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have never been taught how to do second order differential equations before and we have to teach it to ourselves (not going over it in lectures). i have tried looking on the internet for methods of solving but cant work out what its going on about can someone explain, using this random example i've thought of?

3y" + 5y' - 2y = 2x + 3

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrooru)
    i have never been taught how to do second order differential equations before and we have to teach it to ourselves (not going over it in lectures). i have tried looking on the internet for methods of solving but cant work out what its going on about can someone explain, using this random example i've thought of?

3y" + 5y' - 2y = 2x + 3

thanks
    Okay, for any 2nd order ODE (ordinary differential equation), you'll want to start off by finding the related auxiliary equation. This auxiliary equation is basically just a quadratic describing the ODE, replacing the terms y'', y' and y with m^2, m and 1. So for this example, the auxiliary equation is:

\displaystyle 3m^2 + 5m - 2 = 0

(Note that, for the time being, we're just considering the right-hand side of the ODE; the left-hand side will be considered afterwards.)

Now, all you need to do is solve (factorise) that quadratic:

\displaystyle (m+2)(3m-1) = 0

Hence you get m_1=-2 and m_2=\frac{1}{3} as your solutions. These solutions are combined to give what is termed the particular integral, as follows:

\displaystyle y_1 = Ae^{m_1x} + Be^{m_2x} = Ae^{-2x} + Be^{\frac{1}{3}x}, where A and B are constants.

Now, if the left-hand side is zero, you just stop here and the general solution is the particular integral as you have just found (above). However, in this example there is a function on the LHS as well, so we proceed to find what is called the complementary function to take this extra part of the ODE into account...

First, try a solution of the form y_2 = Cx + D (a polynomial of degree 1, like the left-hand side). You can now differentiate this twice to obtain expressions for both y_2' and y_2''. Substituting these values into the original ODE (from the question), gives:

\displaystyle 3(0) + 5(C) - 2(Cx + D) = 2x + 3

You can now solve to find the values of the constants C and D. With that done, it's a simple matter of applying the principle of superposition to get the final answer; the general solution will be equal to the particular integral plus the complementary function, like so:

\displaystyle y = y_1 + y_2 = Ae^{-2x} + Be^{\frac{1}{3}x} + Cx + D, where you've found the values of C and D (I can't be bothered to do this at the moment :p:).

If you are given initial conditions (for example, when y = 0, y' = 1 and y'' = 2) then you can apply these - again by susbtitution - to your solution to find the values of A and B. Otherwise, you're done.

Differential equations...:love:

PS: If you find the auxiliary equation has two equal roots, then the particular integral will be of the form: Ae^{m_1x} + Bxe^{m_2x} (note the extra factor x multiplying the second term).

PPS: If you're dealing with a trigonometric function (eg: \sin(x) on the LHS (for the complementary function), remember to try a solution of the form C\sin(x) + D\cos(x), even though there is no cosine function on the LHS. This is because the derivatives of sine and cosine interchange with each other...if that makes sense. You probably know what I mean. :o:

If you need any more help or details on the topic, just quote me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.