Turn on thread page Beta

How to do you motivate yourself to actually do work? watch

ReputationRep:
    Leaving it till the last minute geenrally helps me get it done, i would not advise this.

ReputationRep:
    The Fear

library

ReputationRep:
    well i think of the unis i really want to get into
    then i ask myself, 'NOW HOW AM I GONNA GET THERE? WORK OF COURSE!'

helps for a bit then i'm like yeeeeeeeeeeah this can wait till tomorrow so probs not very useful, i thinkk im gonna try that rewards ting someone suggested

ReputationRep:
    chocolates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Since starting four AS levels in september this year. Any motivation I've had to complete any work is just gone. Maybe that's because I did no work last year and still got respectable grades.

What worries me is that I have no motivation, if it's the choice of completing work or not doing anything. It will be the latter. I've sat in my room for four hours before, no music on, no tv, no pc and I just couldn't bring myself to work.

University isn't a motivator. I know where I want to go and what I want to do, I know the grades I need and I know more than anything I can't wait to get away from my family, my school and my town.

I also hate my school. It puts me in a terrible mood where I just can't face going to school most mornings. There's nothing though that's really a reason, I have good friends, good teachers and it's a good school.

What's wrong with me and how can I change this?
    This is so me XD

I just do everything the day before it has to be in. But then the other day I got a C in my English practice coursework question and a D in my History practice question. That motivated me for about 2 days, then I lost it again :p:

Maybe that'll motivate you since I got A*s in both of these subjects at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I just remind myself of the prospect of university; and the only way to do this is to work hard. Sounds cheesy but that's my method of motivation

ReputationRep:
    My offer helps me now, but before that. .

lists. Lots and lots of lists. With literally, tiny, tiny steps. As in:

1) Read Economics Chapter 12
    2) Write a page of notes on Chap 12
    3) Learn three definitions in Chap 12

type stuff. Then each thing can be ticked off. . it's like a positive circle, the more I do the more I want to

ReputationRep:
    Since starting four AS levels in september this year. Any motivation I've had to complete any work is just gone. Maybe that's because I did no work last year and still got respectable grades.

What worries me is that I have no motivation, if it's the choice of completing work or not doing anything. It will be the latter. I've sat in my room for four hours before, no music on, no tv, no pc and I just couldn't bring myself to work.

University isn't a motivator. I know where I want to go and what I want to do, I know the grades I need and I know more than anything I can't wait to get away from my family, my school and my town.

I also hate my school. It puts me in a terrible mood where I just can't face going to school most mornings. There's nothing though that's really a reason, I have good friends, good teachers and it's a good school.

I have the exact same problem; motivation. The thing i find most effective is when it comes to revision and work, don't do time, forget it, out the window. Just say to yourself, "right, i'm going to do THIS section, or THIS piece of coursework, and I'm not coming out till i'm done. Believe me, it works.

The other problem is that you're probably not into your subjects, in which case, you should probably rethink your aims. For example, I love history with a passion, i would honestly rather do history revision than xbox, so I get through revision like that. but I loathe french with a passion, so I get one paragraph done before i'm flicking paperclips at a wall with boredom.

I hope you do well and reach your goals! The most important things is to be happy! enjoy what you do.

ReputationRep:
    I think of people and characters who I look up to and want to be more like, and most of them are very smart and did well in school / uni, and the thought of them usually inspires me to work more as I want to be more like them.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of not doing as well as I know I'm capable of really pisses me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazamak)
    Alevels...They shall predetirmine you path in the life of education,

its make or break,
    all or nothing
    Life or DEATH :OO!!!!!! (ok slight exaggeration)

but the idea is, alevels are crucial if you want to havea successful future (in academic terms)

yea...not if you're asian....it really is life or death for me on march 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfgwills5)
    I have the exact same problem; motivation. The thing i find most effective is when it comes to revision and work, don't do time, forget it, out the window. Just say to yourself, "right, i'm going to do THIS section, or THIS piece of coursework, and I'm not coming out till i'm done. Believe me, it works.

The other problem is that you're probably not into your subjects, in which case, you should probably rethink your aims. For example, I love history with a passion, i would honestly rather do history revision than xbox, so I get through revision like that. but I loathe french with a passion, so I get one paragraph done before i'm flicking paperclips at a wall with boredom.

I hope you do well and reach your goals! The most important things is to be happy! enjoy what you do.
    That's the thing, history I do without a problem because it's a passion for me. It's what I love! However, the other subjects I've taken - English, Drama and RS are mainly there because I couldn't just take history. I enjoy English and Drama and I'm good at them both, once I start working it's fine.

I want to drop RE so badly because I despise it, however, three AS levels will look bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    August AS results day... Dear God. It was horrible! I did far worse than I was predicted, I did badly in subjects I loved. I had recently dropped Maths and Chemistry to take History in a year to do Ancient History at uni and thought I'd be okay if I got decent grades at AS... I've been okay so far, but I'd love to go to the unis I'm still waiting on and no doubt they'll reject me because of my AS grades. That is one way I motivate myself. I think it's a lot easier to motivate yourself to work hard when you've really let yourself down before.
    This.
    That sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach on AS results day.
    Never again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    yea...not if you're asian....it really is life or death for me on march 11
    lol :yep:

ReputationRep:

this is just a phase i guess but studying is boring lol

ReputationRep:
    AS?! Try motivating yourself while you're at University!

Haha jokes, you need to focus on what goals you want to achieve and be honest and strict with yourself. Even if it's short term goals such as getting a really good mark on an essay, or more long term ones like getting the grades you need to get for what you want to do eventually. Think about how good it'll feel to achieve that goal and make that your motivation to work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Think about how you would feel if you didn't get the results that you wanted/needed. Think about where you want to be 5+ years from now. How will you get there? You won't get there by sitting down on your lazy ass!

I know that there will be times when the work will be so much that you just want to stop, sit and cry. During these times, you do just that. Take a small break, sit down and cry yourself a river whilst thinking about your dreams. Weigh out the pros and cons of giving up. You will soon seen that giving up isn't an option.

ReputationRep:
    I went to an open day recently....that really opened my eyes and now my motivation is to get the grades to go to that uni (AAA at SGUL)

ReputationRep:
    You might not want to hear this BUT.. lack of motivation or no motivation at all can be symptoms of depression.

You might think, 'Oh, but there's no reason for me to be depressed'.. But it can strike anyone at anytime and it's more a chemical thing rather than psychological in a lot of cases.

See your GP to arrange to see an emotional therapist and further down the line you may even be prescribed anti-depressants for a short period of time.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.