Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the topic.

Surerly, you may learn something new but than wikipedia is 100 times superior if you want to learn.

Why would you want to waste your time reading fiction?

ReputationRep:
    To be entertained?

ReputationRep:
    In what way?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    It's called entertainment. Same thing as gaming, watching tv, sports etc.

ReputationRep:
    Why play computer games when you could be on wikipedia? Same train of thought.

ReputationRep:
    For exactly the same reason you do anything else which entertains you, and bear in mind entertainment is a broad matter. You can be entertained by reading a depressing poem for example.

ReputationRep:
    For entertainment, to appreciate the creative genius of some people, for inspiration..... there's plenty of reasons.

I could ask, why waste time playing video games/watching sport? Its a matter of personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    To go to another world

ReputationRep:
    What is the point in drinking Cola?
    What is the point in watching a film?
    What is the point in having green curtains?

ReputationRep:
    Reading fiction is not only entertaining, but it has other fundamental academic advantages such as improving your vocabulary and greater reading speeds, which will benefit you in your studies.

ReputationRep:
    Does he not mean non-fiction? Why would you replace fiction with Wikipedia? Maybe non-fiction.

ReputationRep:
    Cuz it takes u into another world, away from RL, which is wat most ppl need when they gota stressful life

ReputationRep:
    Artists use lies to tell the truth.

ReputationRep:
    entertainment, escapism, because a good bit of fiction can speak to 100 different people in a hundred different ways

that's why i read anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    sometimes its nice to escape reality and immerse yourself in fiction

ReputationRep:
    As open a question as asking 'what is the point of anything?'

ReputationRep:
    Entertainment. Fiction can also convey important political, social, ideological etc ideas effectively.

ReputationRep:
    I don't enjoy fiction. I fill my evenings reading books about materials, dentistry and education. I am mega cool.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's fun?

ReputationRep:
    As everyone else has said, to be entertained, to appreciate the fascinating works of authors, to engage the mind intellectually, to broaden the mind. Some of the most important things I know have come from reading books; some of my favourite ideas have come from fiction and my life is constantly being changed by it.

Also, its a lot better than interminable television programmes like X Factor.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.