Turn on thread page Beta

Why do the Japanese have an inferiority complex? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Japanese people often exhibit great interest in European and American cultures, and often attempt to emualte them at the expense of their own. In the most extreme of cases having surgery preformed on the eyes, and sometimes nose to make them appear more Western.

Most Westerners tend to like their nations, and feel strong afinities for them. While we take an interest in other cultures, we generally still like our own and have a deeper afinity for our own culture than we do others.

Japan is one of the wealthiest nations in the world, the second largest economy, one of the highest standards of living in the world and often rather high wages. Certainly far from a poor country, and yet the attitude I get from many Japanese people, particularly the youth, is that they view Japan as a country lacking in opportunity, and they even consider Japan to be somewhat backward and poor.

Many Japanese youth have this great urge to study abroad, the favourites being the UK and US, and they often have this idea that the grass is very much greener here and that once they make it here, all their aspirations will suddently fall into place, and that ultimately these countries are a lot better to live in than their own country.

While some indeed do like it, the majority of Japanese students who study in the UK stay here for 3 years or so, and then realise that the UK isn't quite what they'd imagined it to me and often are happy to return to Japan with a new perspective on their country.

Also, expanding on this, to Japanese people, the idea that foreigners find their country and culture interesting often baffles them. They often perceive Western culture to be the ultimate, and that Western countries are far to interesting for them to ever be interested in backward, boring Japanese culture.

Yes, there's a certain amount of generalisation in this post, but on the whole I think the attitudes I speak of are fairly representative of many Japanese youth, particularly the ones who aspire to study abroad.

ReputationRep:
    There are probably more weeaboos in this country than there are Japanese pretending to British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    There are probably more weeaboos in this country than there are Japanese pretending to British.
    This

ReputationRep:
    I think you underestimate just how many Japanese there are that actively aspire to British culture. However, in Japan it's considered fairly normal to take absorb parts of foreign cultures, sometimes Japan-ising it along the way, but Japanese people often do not understand why foreigners would want to do the same with their culture.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, most of the young Japanese people I have come across in my life seemed to be fairly attached to Japan and proud to be Japanese. They are far more patriotic and nationalistic than we are here in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ignorant (excuse me) but what is a weeaboo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    I think you underestimate just how many Japanese there are that actively aspire to British culture. However, in Japan it's considered fairly normal to take absorb parts of foreign cultures, sometimes Japan-ising it along the way, but Japanese people often do not understand why foreigners would want to do the same with their culture.
    My library/campus shop sells more sushi than sandwiches.

We have no/very few Japanese students.

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    hai hai hai kawaii desu =^o^=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I'm ignorant (excuse me) but what is a weeaboo?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=weeaboo

ReputationRep:

/thread.
    Lol, I know it's TSR faux pas to show any criticism of a culture other than British, but to suggest that British people are more obsessed with Japan than vice versa because the fact your campus shop sells more sushi than sandwhiches is absurd.

I can almost guarentee you that Western chains/style restaurants do a better trade in Japan more traditional restaurants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    Lol, I know it's TSR faux pas to show any criticism of a culture other than British, but to suggest that British people are more obsessed with Japan than vice versa because the fact your campus shop sells more sushi than sandwhiches is absurd.
    And generalising about a whole population of people isn't?

ReputationRep:

We have no/very few Japanese students.

/thread.
    what about pizza/pasta, im pretty sure every university canteen thingy serves this every day. I dont think i have met a single italian student that i know of. Does that mean there are more ppl in england obsessed with being italian than those in italy obsessed with england??

ReputationRep:
    This.

ReputationRep:
    The grass is always greener on the other side, as you said.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greens)
    Actually, most of the young Japanese people I have come across in my life seemed to be fairly attached to Japan and proud to be Japanese. They are far more patriotic and nationalistic than we are here in the UK.
    It's two sides of the same coin. While the Japanese are somewhere between nationalistic and ethnocentric (or just blatantly racist), they also idolize certain aspects of Western culture. I think that their infatuation with the West comes because Japanese culture emphasizes hard work and success, and Western goods are often seen as signifying wealth (if not success) in Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.posteriori)
    It's two sides of the same coin. While the Japanese are somewhere between nationalistic and ethnocentric (or just blatantly racist), they also idolize certain aspects of Western culture. I think that their infatuation with the West comes because Japanese culture emphasizes hard work and success, and Western goods are often seen as signifying wealth (if not success) in Asia.
    I've noticed on this site it is only the American users who say it as it is rather than trying to make excuses for and whitewash over the negative points of other cultures.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they are trying to be like Westeners or look like Westeners.

Living or studying abroad simply shows that you have more money or have "better" education than people who study in their own countries.
    That or it's simply an illusion to fool people in your own country that you are of the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    I can almost guarentee you that Western chains/style restaurants do a better trade in Japan more traditional restaurants.
    Are you sure about that? When I was there the vast vast majority of chains were either Japanese or far eastern in food style. The only foreign food I could see to my memory were burger & pizza joints (Wendy's, BGK, McD etc). Most fast food outlets (which dominate the market) were either ramen, rice bowl, or sushi centric.

The clothing styles among the young are completely different, definitely not similar like UK/EU/US fashion is.

Their attitude to electronics certainly isn't western as most electronics companies are Japanese.

Sure there are many that want to travel abroad, but that is the same for every country in the world. The grass always looks greener, and one of the things you learn growing up is that this isn't always the case.

Lack of opportunity? That may be to do with Japanese culture, and the whole "time put in not effort put in" attitude that they hold. Its completely different to over here where skill & reputation mean everything, time means nothing. This is slowly going though, as the world becomes more globalized and companies have to adapt.

I think your generalizing quite a lot :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I've wondered if perhaps because Japan is a more conformist society, the youth culture may see the US and the UK as being more, "free" with more emphasis on the individual.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.