Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

urgent what subject to pick for my as/a2 courses need to be sent of tommorow plz help watch

ReputationRep:
    things i have got in mind are

biology
    economics
    psychology
    business studies
    geography

(Original post by yungt121)
    things i have got in mind are

biology
    economics
    psychology
    business studies
    geography
    Do you have an idea of what you want to do in the future at university or something? It would give us more help in replying Also how many subjects? Is it only the 4?

Economics and Business Studies are both good but it's not always advisable to take them together. Some universities dislike this. However if you like both subjects then take them together. I did both together and enjoyed it :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    Do you have an idea of what you want to do in the future at university or something? It would give us more help in replying Also how many subjects? Is it only the 4?

Economics and Business Studies are both good but it's not always advisable to take them together. Some universities dislike this. However if you like both subjects then take them together. I did both together and enjoyed it :yy:
    im looking to either go into finance enginering or medicine
    is business and economics preety much the same thing

ReputationRep:
    For medicine you almost always need chemistry

ReputationRep:
    For medicine you will need chemistry. For engineering you will need maths and physics. For finance, maths would be a nice choice along with economics/business studies I'd imagine.

To sum up: if you take maths, you're sorted for all those careers. It's the other subjects you need to worry about as certain combinations are necessary for the three careers you speak of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_wemma)
    For medicine you almost always need chemistry
    whats chemistry like in college i heard that its very very hard

For more info on Medicine I suggest you check out the Medicine forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195. Also read this for more information: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/anno...hp?f=195&a=354

Business and Economics are actually quite different although they do overlap in some ways. Business studies looks more at a business (obviously :p:) and looks at it's marketing, accounting, business plans for instance. It looks at the way the business is run. Economics however looks at the firm in terms of market structure, or the economy in terms of macroeconomic decisions such as the effects of interest rate changes on consumers, firms and the economy as a whole. That explanation isn't complete but it should give you some indication of what the difference is.

ReputationRep:
    whats chemistry like in college i heard that its very very hard
    Hmm one of those things really, if it's needed for medicine it has to be done I guess!
    It's.. challenging, but not impossible if you put the effort in

It's enjoyable though, you feel good when you finally get your head around a difficult concept and stuff :woo:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mathew551]For medicine you will need chemistry. For engineering you will need maths and physics. For finance, maths would be a nice choice along with economics/business studies I'd imagine.

To sum up: if you take maths, you're sorted for all those careers. It's the other subjects you need to worry about as certain combinations are necessary for the three careers you speak of.[/QUOTE/]

what is the easiest maths subject im not too good with maths and statistics

ReputationRep:
    I want to do medicine and I take: geography, biology, chemistry and history.

I'd say the perfect set would be: bio, chem, maths + a good academic subject to show your well-rounded, so for you geography.

I think for medicine you kind of need 2 science (maths can count), so think about it... What you can handle.

Chemistry isn't THAT hard, it's A-level so of course everything is more so, but not like maths - that is CRAZY, so I'd reccomend it.

Geography is really good I love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    I want to do medicine and I take: geography, biology, chemistry and history.

I'd say the perfect set would be: bio, chem, maths + a good academic subject to show your well-rounded, so for you geography.

I think for medicine you kind of need 2 science (maths can count), so think about it... What you can handle.

Chemistry isn't THAT hard, it's A-level so of course everything is more so, but not like maths - that is CRAZY, so I'd reccomend it.

Geography is really good I love it
    thanks so im definately taking biology economics and geography

ReputationRep:
    im looking into
    maths pure and applied is this any good and how hard is it
    physics how is physics in college
    and chemistry

ReputationRep:
    im looking into
    maths pure and applied is this any good and how hard is it
    physics how is physics in college
    and chemistry
    Physics at A-level for me, is a really interesting subject, I really enjoy learning it, I'm planning to do medicine, but physics is great. However, it is a very challenging subject.

Chemistry is great. I love it. It is more difficult then GCSE's obviously, but then again, all subjects are. I'm sure you'll like it, providing you like science at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone rate biology chemistry and physics from hardest to easeiest plz

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person.

But you should really be taking;
    Dance
    Photography
    Travel and Tourism
    BTEC Sport

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im in yr11 right now and im making my A-level choices REALLY soon, and i really confused i want to do medicine at oxbridge. I am pretty decided on doing all 3 sciences for alevel but i really dont fancy doing maths as well, but apparently it REALLY helps with BMAT which ill have to do. As my 4th A-level i am going to do Art, but its a lot of work and im seriously worried theyre going to doubt my sincerity to medicine and consider art as a 'soft' subject.

Also, im considering doing A-level maths as a long distance course at home. If im gonna do this then i will only do it to AS. And this will mean Im doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Art and Critical thinking/General studies for AS level! Will this be too much and useless? Should I go through with art? Is it practical to do Alevel maths at home?

HELP!

ReputationRep:
    It really does depend on you.

ReputationRep:
    Hardest________Chemistry
    _________Physics
    Easiest___________Biology

I did Chemistry and Physics together, I found chemistry the hardest, its just the sort of person I am.

Biology is the easiest, most of my friends took it who also did chem and phys and they all say the same thing, "Biology is just colouring in pictures."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neethuxo)
    Hi, im in yr11 right now and im making my A-level choices REALLY soon, and i really confused i want to do medicine at oxbridge. I am pretty decided on doing all 3 sciences for alevel but i really dont fancy doing maths as well, but apparently it REALLY helps with BMAT which ill have to do. As my 4th A-level i am going to do Art, but its a lot of work and im seriously worried theyre going to doubt my sincerity to medicine and consider art as a 'soft' subject.

Also, im considering doing A-level maths as a long distance course at home. If im gonna do this then i will only do it to AS. And this will mean Im doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Art and Critical thinking/General studies for AS level! Will this be too much and useless? Should I go through with art? Is it practical to do Alevel maths at home?

HELP!
    Well yes, BMAT is a necesscity for Oxbridge. But it does not take that much preparation (obviously you will be preparing for it, but thats generally after AS). Unless your someone that will want to prepare for your BMAT during your AS?

It will be difficult, if I were you I would withdraw myself from General Studies seeing as it is not really used by Oxbridge or most other uni's tbh, so its a waste of your time. Doing the others (5) is more than average, but I guess if you want to go oxbridge, you might be willing to go the extra mile. Note that there is nothing wrong with doing the average 4 AS's.

As for maths at home, depends how you find it now?

ReputationRep:
    Hardest________Chemistry
    _________Physics
    Easiest___________Biology

I did Chemistry and Physics together, I found chemistry the hardest, its just the sort of person I am.

Biology is the easiest, most of my friends took it who also did chem and phys and they all say the same thing, "Biology is just colouring in pictures."

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.