Turn on thread page Beta

Similarities between medicine and banking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was having a discussion with a friend about how they are quite contrasting subjects about how his banking course and eventual career will be quite different from my path of medicine.

However, I was thinking about it and both subjects are quite laborious in terms of work so I was wondering what you think the similarities between the two were

ReputationRep:
    They're long and hard.

(thats what she said)

ReputationRep:
    You become rich.

ReputationRep:
    Competitive, well payed, hard work.

ReputationRep:
    They're both clunge magnets.

ReputationRep:
    Competitive, well-paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJ4GK)
    Competitive, well payed, hard work.
    I was thinking that, then again can't that be said for everything?

ReputationRep:
    They're both what most students choose to study/become when they can't think of anything else?

They're probably the ones that they get pressured to take a lot? (Don't forget Law, and Engineering)

Incidentally Oxbridge occurs quite a lot in these scenario.... :p:

JOKES! I dunno? They seem different to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    They're both what most students choose to study at university when they can't think of anything else?

Incidentally Oxbridge occurs quite a lot on this scenario.... :p:
    Hehehe.

In Medicine you might making life saving decision but what kinda of decisions do you make in Banking .e.g life-changing or what? I'm trying to understand their relative risk ( I don't think that's the right word Doh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    I was thinking that, then again can't that be said for everything?
    He meant relative to nearly everything else.

ReputationRep:
    They are the dream courses for 99% of Asians :p:

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't say banking and medicine are that similar in terms of pay.
    i think, the variation in pay for banking is greater. but for medicine, it's almost gurrenteed to get a decent payed job, but the pay shouldn't be overhyped.

ReputationRep:
    banking does not provide a good job security, you have to be fiercely competitive against your colleagues to get to the top.

ReputationRep:
    You get something wrong in Medicine, people die. You get something wrong in Banking, the government bail you out and you still get your whopping bonus at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    They are both professions that cloak large amounts of fraud with respectability.

ReputationRep:
    Some bankers will have retired by the time a doctor's qualified.

They are both similar in that the two jobs are equivalent to baby-killing-satan-worshipper in the Daily Mail's eyes.

ReputationRep:
    In either if you make a wrong decision you can completely wreck someone else's life...

ReputationRep:
    i don't see any similarities in banking and medicine... except for the fact that they're both degrees/careers
    also, they have "n" and "i" in common

ReputationRep:
    There not similar, doctors are well paid but banking can make you a hell of a lot richer. Doctors aren't "rich", the are just well paid professionals. There aren't really any similarities, except maybe workload whilst studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    There not similar, doctors are well paid but banking can make you a hell of a lot richer. Doctors aren't "rich", the are just well paid professionals. There aren't really any similarities, except maybe workload whilst studying.
    They're similar in that they are both well-paid. Banking CAN make you richer, but then again, it's less stable money than medicine. Not all doctors make as much as bankers, but doctors can certainly be described as having good pay.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.