Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I don't know if this is the best forum to put this in, but hopefully some keen graphics person will stumble across it if there aren't any other tech teachers on here!

I have an assessed lesson on Wednesday for Graphic Communication at Standard Grade. I'm going to be doing the second lesson in a series of five on Pyramids. Orthographic third angle projection and some surface development stuff.

I'm in desperate need of some contextualisation(sp?)! I want to explain to the pupils why we are producing surface developments of these pyramid shapes with angled cuts, but I can't think of anything at all really.

Google isn't helping me either...

ReputationRep:
    In context, orthographic projects are used to demonstrate different angles of a product accurately and in relative proportion.
    So the pyramid shape you're creating is irrelevant really as it's just an example piece. It could very well be a toy car, however this would be far more complex.
    As you'll know it's a process of drawing two-dimensional drawings to create a three-dimensional object. It's a fantastic process to scale objects down and yet keep all aspects in proportion and is used for engineering drawings or plan views - context - building an extension on to a house?

Have a look at this, may be of some use: http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials...ic-isometrics/

ReputationRep:
    I was meaning more things like "In order to manufacure the perfume packaging we need to first create a surface development of the shape".

I finally worked it out during my sleep last night, but thank you so much for replying.

+ rep for you!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.