Turn on thread page Beta

The lack of patriotism and sheer self-hatred on this site disgusts me... watch

    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

    Do people here think I should be proud to be male because Albert Einstein was male and that I share my gender with him?

    Likewise should I be ashamed of the fact that I am male and Adolf Hitler & Josef Dzughashivilli were male too?

    Why be proud to be of x/y/z nationality if you haven't EARNED that nationality?
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    110% behind you old boy!! Most of them will grow up, but a lot won't.

    I would give you rep but I have already given some out today.
    You're so up your own arse it's unbelievable, i'd rather subscribe that maturity brings relative toleration of other views :rolleyes:
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negative, we should be ashamed of our behaviour, other cultures have every right to hate us and pick us up on our cultural short-comings, we have no right to critise foreigners because by default everything they do is better than us - they dress better than us, they are more intelligent than us, they are better looking than us, less sexually premocious, society has lower crime, blah blah blah.

    I'm sure you don't care, but I have used this site for years, and I often have to take a break from posting because of the sheer liberal negativity and pompousness, and how quite frankly anti-British this site is, it sometimes does get really grating and depressing to read just how much of the country's youth seem to hate themselves and their culture.

    I suspect 80% of you will eventually grow out of your stupid liberal, apologist, pompous views while the remaining 20% will become aging communists.

    But to me, the sheer level of self-hatred towards your own identity of this website is highly depressing, and definitely goes against what would be considered natural self-preservation and self-respect.
    When does patriotism=xenophobism?

    I will take a hard working immigrant anyday over a BNP member.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    What do you want people to do.. Jump up and down singing praise for the queen all day long?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    I hate liberals
    I hate patriots
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negative, we should be ashamed of our behaviour, other cultures have every right to hate us and pick us up on our cultural short-comings, we have no right to critise foreigners because by default everything they do is better than us - they dress better than us, they are more intelligent than us, they are better looking than us, less sexually premocious, society has lower crime, blah blah blah.

    I'm sure you don't care, but I have used this site for years, and I often have to take a break from posting because of the sheer liberal negativity and pompousness, and how quite frankly anti-British this site is, it sometimes does get really grating and depressing to read just how much of the country's youth seem to hate themselves and their culture.

    I suspect 80% of you will eventually grow out of your stupid liberal, apologist, pompous views while the remaining 20% will become aging communists.

    But to me, the sheer level of self-hatred towards your own identity of this website is highly depressing, and definitely goes against what would be considered natural self-preservation and self-respect.
    Well... it is a prblem site basically, so eveyone hates stuff.

    I love this country though, so good for this thread, people piss me off so much :mad:, saying it's a crap hole, go off and live somewhere with no NHS or dole money then, huh?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Patriotism is logicial because you are what you are as a result of the culture you were brought up in, your views, your values, your outlooks, your accent, the language you speak, your behaviour is largely as a result of your culture, and to deny your culture as an extremely important part of your being is absurd.

    To not be proud of your culture to me is to not be proud of yourself and what you are. However, most people on this site aren't very proud of themselves, slap the average TSR member in the face and he'd probably offer you the other cheek and ask what he could do so he doesn't upset you again.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negative, we should be ashamed of our behaviour, other cultures have every right to hate us and pick us up on our cultural short-comings, we have no right to critise foreigners because by default everything they do is better than us - they dress better than us, they are more intelligent than us, they are better looking than us, less sexually premocious, society has lower crime, blah blah blah.
    Do people mention intelligence? Surely this would similarly be normally distributed across other nations populations' too?

    Do people mention dress? Once again, this is highly pluralistic WITHIN British society.

    Who is 'we'. Most of 'us' did not partake in the 'behaviour' that you are calling for us to be ashamed of? Are you DIRECTLY responsible for the capture of Devonian & Cornish people by Barbary pirates in the 17th century or something?

    Name one 'culture' which hates 'us'? I am very confused. Are there cultures (i.e. collective sets of behaviours) designed to include 'hatred' of a specific nationality?

    Why are we not permitted to criticize INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE? Obviously criticizing people in a blanketed, stereotyped manner is factually incorrect - hence why it tends not to be done. 'Foreigners' is a HUGE label and includes most people on the planet.

    (Original post by ak56)
    I'm sure you don't care, but I have used this site for years, and I often have to take a break from posting because of the sheer liberal negativity and pompousness, and how quite frankly anti-British this site is, it sometimes does get really grating and depressing to read just how much of the country's youth seem to hate themselves and their culture.
    What 'liberal negativity and pompousness'? Please give some examples.

    Also, how on earth do you know about the UK's 'youths' culture. Surely each one's is different? What do you think they 'hate'? Why would they hate themselves?


    (Original post by ak56)
    I suspect 80% of you will eventually grow out of your stupid liberal, apologist, pompous views while the remaining 20% will become aging communists.

    But to me, the sheer level of self-hatred towards your own identity of this website is highly depressing, and definitely goes against what would be considered natural self-preservation and self-respect.
    You really are quite foolish if you think that there are that many communists in the UK. I'm a free-market capitalist by the way. Throwing the 'Red' label around is simply not going to work.

    Who here has said they 'hate their identity'? Where are all these fabrications coming from?
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    Patriotism just seems a bit pointless to me- why be proud of a large lump of earth? By all means take pride in your own achievements, and o those closest to you, but why take pride in some guy who invents TV just because he comes from the same island as you?
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

    Do people here think I should be proud to be male because Albert Einstein was male and that I share my gender with him?

    Likewise should I be ashamed of the fact that I am male and Adolf Hitler & Josef Dzughashivilli were male too?

    Why be proud to be of x/y/z nationality if you haven't EARNED that nationality?
    Why do you think that way? Surely patriotism isnt blind pride of the landmass you were born on, but pride in the people of the nation, people you know that make the country up?

    Yes, it is completely illogical to be proud of a country just because you are born there, but that doesnt mean that people are patriotic for that sole reason. It could be the ideals of the nation that they are proud of. And there is nothing forcing you to be patriotic, i dont see why someone who genuinly is should get shot down.
    Offline

    10
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    I wouldn't be proud of any land mass I was raised on, it's meaningless.
    I concur.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    Patriotism is logicial because you are what you are as a result of the culture you were brought up in, your views, your values, your outlooks, your accent, the language you speak, your behaviour is largely as a result of your culture, and to deny your culture as an extremely important part of your being is absurd.

    To not be proud of your culture to me is to not be proud of yourself and what you are. However, most people on this site aren't very proud of themselves, slap the average TSR member in the face and he'd probably offer you the other cheek and ask what he could do so he doesn't upset you again.
    a) I can't think of a single country in the world where there is only 'one' culture. Most nations are multicultural and individuals tend to hold a wide spectrum of views.

    b) Values display significant heterogeneity across any nation. This is especially the case in the UK regarding morality, relationship formation, childcare structures, religious affiliation, belief in marriage, attitudes to career, etc, etc.

    c) Accent varies across the United Kingdom. In some nations, there are a whole plethora of officially recognized languages.

    d) Again, culture is the sum total of one's behavoiurs, surely? Why would people not be proud of their behaviours, if they saw fit to engage in them?
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negative, we should be ashamed of our behaviour, other cultures have every right to hate us and pick us up on our cultural short-comings, we have no right to critise foreigners because by default everything they do is better than us - they dress better than us, they are more intelligent than us, they are better looking than us, less sexually premocious, society has lower crime, blah blah blah.

    I'm sure you don't care, but I have used this site for years, and I often have to take a break from posting because of the sheer liberal negativity and pompousness, and how quite frankly anti-British this site is, it sometimes does get really grating and depressing to read just how much of the country's youth seem to hate themselves and their culture.

    I suspect 80% of you will eventually grow out of your stupid liberal, apologist, pompous views while the remaining 20% will become aging communists.

    But to me, the sheer level of self-hatred towards your own identity of this website is highly depressing, and definitely goes against what would be considered natural self-preservation and self-respect.
    I believe you meant promiscuous and thats a fault, promiscuity is fun

    And who says other countries are better than ours, all countries are equally **** in some way.


    We're not self hating and being liberal has nothing to do with this. As a people we are cyinical. If you don't understand the beauty of self deprecation you are not truly British.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negative, we should be ashamed of our behaviour, other cultures have every right to hate us and pick us up on our cultural short-comings, we have no right to critise foreigners because by default everything they do is better than us - they dress better than us, they are more intelligent than us, they are better looking than us, less sexually premocious, society has lower crime, blah blah blah.

    I'm sure you don't care, but I have used this site for years, and I often have to take a break from posting because of the sheer liberal negativity and pompousness, and how quite frankly anti-British this site is, it sometimes does get really grating and depressing to read just how much of the country's youth seem to hate themselves and their culture.

    I suspect 80% of you will eventually grow out of your stupid liberal, apologist, pompous views while the remaining 20% will become aging communists.

    But to me, the sheer level of self-hatred towards your own identity of this website is highly depressing, and definitely goes against what would be considered natural self-preservation and self-respect.
    Stereotypical?! What evidence is there at all that the 'youth' of this country are unpatriotic and hate themselves? And 'pompous views' - hypocritical?!

    I think you need go no further to see examples of British patriotism than Wootton Bassett and the support shown to those fighting in Afghanistan - 'self-hatred' I think not.

    I'm sure I'd love to continue commenting on the many errors in this post but I'm just too busy preparing to become an 'ageing communist'.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    Patriotism is moronic. The boundaries of nations are completely arbitrary. Why should any of us by proud of something we have little control over or connection to?

    Furthermore, Britain's lack of national pride seems to prevent upsurges of both fascism and US-style national arrogance. It's a good thing.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Why do you think that way? Surely patriotism isnt blind pride of the landmass you were born on, but pride in the people of the nation, people you know that make the country up?

    Yes, it is completely illogical to be proud of a country just because you are born there, but that doesnt mean that people are patriotic for that sole reason. It could be the ideals of the nation that they are proud of. And there is nothing forcing you to be patriotic, i dont see why someone who genuinly is should get shot down.
    In that case they are specifying their preference of certain 'value systems':

    e.g. rule of law, parliamentary democracy etc.

    They are not proud of the nationality per se.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libtolu)


    We're not self hating and being liberal has nothing to do with this. As a people we are cyinical. If you don't understand the beauty of self deprecation you are not truly British.
    If TSR is representitive of the typical views in Britain then I most certainly am not British.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    If TSR is representitive of the typical views in Britain then I most certainly am not British.
    This is dependent on whether you are a British citizen/British passport holder.

    Heterogeneity of views is an integral part of our liberal democratic society.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    To be fair you should be proud to be British, just as say I am proud to be Norwegian. Each individual nation has so much history to celebrate. All this attempt at forgetting traditional British culture isnt doing the country any favours. The reason my family came to Britain was because we liked what Britain was and stood for, with all its traditions, culture, and heritage. Just why people go on holiday around the world to visit other cultures. Without it, Britain is just some cold rainy mass of meh.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)

    I suspect 80% of you will eventually grow out of your stupid liberal, apologist, pompous views while the remaining 20% will become aging communists.
    .

    on the contrary, i outgrew nationalism



    its not that i'm ashamed to be british, its just that i don't care....
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.