The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think most TSR members are grateful that they live in Britain.

But they disagree with patriotism as an ideology because one of its inherent assumptions is that you are superior to people of other nationalities.
Reply 81
halfoflessthan50p

But they disagree with patriotism as an ideology because one of its inherent assumptions is that you are superior to people of other nationalities.

What a load of nonsense. Patriotism is not the assumption of superiority, it is mere pride in your identity, or perceived identity. Are you honestly telling me if an individual has self-confidence he thinks he is better than everyone else?
Reply 82
Britain is in such a bad way at the moment. You wonder could this be the country where they invented the computer, the world wide web and the ipod? There was a report a while ago saying that crime in england and wales is the highest in the industrialised world. :sigh: Couple that with the fact white children are a minority in London now... The newspapers suddenly announce white boys are the lowest achieving group in Britain :lolwut:? Did anyone here about conspiracies and the new world order??

I heard this American tourist saying they would never visit London again... He visited once thirty years ago, luved it... He came back and some African tried to steal his wifes purse... Anyway he threatened the African with a knife and the African was like :lolwut: They aren't used to victims fighting back. Its sad. Really sad :sigh:
Reply 83
Lust of a Gardener
What should we be proud of? More importantly, what have I to be proud of?

I live in a Republican stronghold in Northern Ireland, I don't think I would be very pre-disposed to patriotism.

Have you been South to the Republic of late? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbE97zATZuk People are arriving in Ireland IN THEIR DROVES. Someone told me the number of people entering Ireland between 2000-2005 was the equivalent of the UK population rising by 10 million
Reply 84

i Know Everyone Here Equates Patriotism With Racism But That Is Not The Case You Communist *****!!1! And When It Comes To Muslims Taking Over This Country And Their Extremist Actions, Everyone's Like 'ahh It's Ok Because They're Muslim' But When The Bnp Comes Into The Picture Trying To Stick Up For The Country With Pride And Patriotism Everyone's Like 'omg You Racist Nazi Bastards Shut Up You Compete Incompetent Fools You're Pathetic' But Quite Frankly You People Sicken Me. You're Either Extremely Naive Or Just Not British.
Reply 85
Most people don't understand the idea of patriotism.

Patriotism is a love of one's own country. If we are patriotic we aren't loving a land. We are loving the establishment of the country we live in. You may say it's silly to love something you have no control of being involved with but what if you actually love the country and its values? I shamefully admit I do. :rolleyes: I love the freedom this country offers, I love how it is impossible to be held back by discrimination, I love how the law protects us and most of all I love not being forced to believe in something. I am grateful that I was not born in a country like Iran with a corrupt government, undemocratic values, enforcement of following Islam and the unfair treatment of women.

I agree it is silly to be told that you should love your own country because it is your own decision and your own feelings. However I am a patriot because I want to be.

I don't hate liberals or patriots but what I do not like is expats. The types who leave Britain for somewhere hotter as an escape from here. Then talk about (from their safe exile) how much this country has gone to the dogs. They are only a few beers away from explaining how it's all because of the blacks and the muslims. :rolleyes: These people are truly unpatriotic, fleeing the country and bitching about from a safe distance rather than being part of it.
Reply 86
NoneGuy
i Know Everyone Here Equates Patriotism With Racism But That Is Not The Case You Communist *****!!1! And When It Comes To Muslims Taking Over This Country And Their Extremist Actions, Everyone's Like 'ahh It's Ok Because They're Muslim' But When The Bnp Comes Into The Picture Trying To Stick Up For The Country With Pride And Patriotism Everyone's Like 'omg You Racist Nazi Bastards Shut Up You Compete Incompetent Fools You're Pathetic' But Quite Frankly You People Sicken Me. You're Either Extremely Naive Or Just Not British.

Im sorry but you sir are a dinlow. Who the **** says its okay for muslims to take over the country? Infact you've got a whole country moaning about it so surely that means people DONT think its okay?

People dont call BNP racist because they are "patriotic" rather they equate everything wrong with this country with foreigners. That my friend is discrimination and THAT is why people call them racist.

You have the cheek to call others naive? Go traveling around the world, grow abit older and see what the world is for yourself instead of internalizing what your parents and papers say and then you have the right to call people naive.

Infact I am very British, i have the union jack hanging on my wall, start finish and maintain my day with tea and am sickened by the idea that people seem keen on removing the monarchy. However I have also accepted that as a capitalist country we actually need Immigrants to sustain the growth. I am also aware that in a democratic country of 60 million, the leading party is always going to have criticisms against any decision it makes based on what others want.

Organizations like BNP jump at the chance to brainwash an already ignorant minority. Just clicking on the BNP website i saw a dole cue full of immigrants and a taliban fighter poking out with a rocket launcher?! Is this meant to show how all Muslims and voilent? Because im pretty
sure my egyptian neighbour hasn't got a rocket launcher, a bomb or any other tools for this "mass" takeover of britain Nicky G claims muslims are preparing.

So to conclude, it is YOU that is the naive ****, lapping up everything Bigooted National Ponces tell you. Get out of your ****** room and see not every muslim is terrorist or murderer!
Reply 87
az1992
Im sorry but you sir are a dinlow. Who the **** says its okay for muslims to take over the country? Infact you've got a whole country moaning about it so surely that means people DONT think its okay?

People dont call BNP racist because they are "patriotic" rather they equate everything wrong with this country with foreigners. That my friend is discrimination and THAT is why people call them racist.

You have the cheek to call others naive? Go traveling around the world, grow abit older and see what the world is for yourself instead of internalizing what your parents and papers say and then you have the right to call people naive.

Infact I am very British, i have the union jack hanging on my wall, start finish and maintain my day with tea and am sickened by the idea that people seem keen on removing the monarchy. However I have also accepted that as a capitalist country we actually need Immigrants to sustain the growth. I am also aware that in a democratic country of 60 million, the leading party is always going to have criticisms against any decision it makes based on what others want.

Organizations like BNP jump at the chance to brainwash an already ignorant minority. Just clicking on the BNP website i saw a dole cue full of immigrants and a taliban fighter poking out with a rocket launcher?! Is this meant to show how all Muslims and voilent? Because im pretty
sure my egyptian neighbour hasn't got a rocket launcher, a bomb or any other tools for this "mass" takeover of britain Nicky G claims muslims are preparing.

So to conclude, it is YOU that is the naive ****, lapping up everything Bigooted National Ponces tell you. Get out of your ****** room and see not every muslim is terrorist or murderer!

I live in Birmingham so know fully well how many Muslims are here when compared with normal people.

Do you not feel threatened in how Islam says those who deny Islam shall die?

Are you not upset we are going extinct in this world?

:sigh:
Reply 88
NoneGuy
I live in Birmingham so know fully well how many Muslims are here when compared with normal people.

Do you not feel threatened in how Islam says those who deny Islam shall die?

Are you not upset we are going extinct in this world?

:sigh:

I dont feel threatened at all, in fact i feel more angered b how the aims of a very very small minority appear to have been distorted to represent a whole religion. Indeed they may think that they are following the right religion just as well think Christianity is the right religion or that we are a civilized country.

But I think that the actions of a few (ie Anjem Choudry) give fuel to far right activist groups ie EDL and BNP. Many younger Muslims jump on the cause of the atrocities western nations have inflicted on the middle
east just as you and friends have jumped on the "muslims are evil and are going to take over the world" bandwagon.

I think the whole "invasion" of muslims is a little bit too hollywood to actually be at all true and I am ashamed that some members of our so called civilized society beleive this nonsense. However it is perpetrated in the media as well. Only a couple of years back there was rumour of a gang called "the muslim boys" in south london who forced people to convert at gun point. Now any self respecting criminologist will tell you that a name ending in "boys" is more likely put to a group of footy hooligans. Also they will explain that many gangs in London focus on making money as opposed to spreading a religion. Thirdly, Im no Muslim admittedly but Im sure that to actually convert to Islam it takes longer then 5 minutes having a gun pointed to your head.

This is a key scenario that highlights the islamophobia that runs riot in our country today. yes there are a few Muslims no doubt that some christians want to do the same. Yet these people number in their less then 5000's and many are looking for a cause to join rather then genuinely believing in it.

Im am sorry for being so rude in my original post and thank you for not falling to my level, but it angers me that people of my own country, where 99% of people are literate, will swallow and beleive such a pile of ****.

the same thing was said about the jews, that they wanted to take over Germany and there was mass propaganda. Today we call those German public who believed it stupid yet we are all following a similar trail.
Reply 89
Im proud not to be patriotic to be quite honest.

As for the self hate. I do not consider the British state to be an extension of ones self, and even so would not say that i hated it, so im not sure how you are making this assumption. It would seem in your case that the opposite is true, and judging by the feelings you expressed in the OP, it could be inferred that you are the one who is self hating? :iiam:
Reply 90
ak56
but I have used this site for years

-_- I have been away, when did the Earth's orbit become drastically closer to the sun? Three months = years???

In regards to Britishness my sig explains all.
Reply 91
This is a very delicate topic.
I am not British but i have been thinking about this for a long time.

I think it is hard for British people to have a huge lack of patriotism since the British people are confused about what does that really mean being British, and this is a fact. One of thousands of examples can just be the fact that the country is ruled by a Scotsman, and he's not the only one.

After being all around Britain in these last 5 years i could always notice that there is a huge lack of culture whether it is is lifestyle, gastronomical etc. This is easily explained with excessive amount of time this country had to devote to the war.

Britain always had one of the best economies in the world, this generates interest, and therefore the British culture soaked the culture from all these foreigners. Years of this type of conditioning worked even better to make Brits confused.

I have been in many places in Britain, currently I'm up in Sheffield but I've been all around the Midlands, London and the southern part of England and in the end I even have to say that i disagree that Brits are European due to the highly different lifestyle. It simply doesn't fit with the rest of Europe.

So in the middle of all this i do feel that is hard to be patriotic when you're fighting to know yourself and keep on building your own culture when lots of foreigners are around.

I live in a place in Sheffield that when i wake up i see a HUGE monsk? (building to pray) which simply doesn't look like I'm in Britain at all. Then here i see other problem. That Brits treat their immigrants very well (way too well) in terms of rights. But in social interaction Brits are missing the interconnection with foreigners in an open way, there is a lot of tension.
Always moaning about "too many chavs in here breeding more chavs". Well wasn't your fault or foreigners fault just simply happened. You need to step up to the play and be happy anyway and find yourselves. Some might be confused with all this but well that is what it really is.. a whole mess and it isn't simple.

In all this time I'm here i found only 3 Brits who i can fully say they are proud of being born in this country and seem to take responsibility and keep up enjoying life as it is interacting with everybody the same way we foreigners do. I even gave him my house keys of Portugal to spend a summer there.

In the end of all this i want to like Britain but i can't and i can't see what would help but there is no easy solution for sure.
Reply 92
xptos1

I think it is hard for British people to have a huge lack of patriotism since the British people are confused about what does that really mean being British, and this is a fact. One of thousands of examples can just be the fact that the country is ruled by a Scotsman, and he's not the only one.

I didn't know Scotland, or the Scottish people were no longer part of Great Britain.
Hippysnake
The OP is a toilet. Don't feed the toilet.

Have yourself some pretend green gems.
Reply 94
around
Maybe it's a 'being educated' thing?

just a thought

That's the same reason that American conservatives claim that universities are intrinsically biased. Funnily enough there is a direct correlation between education and liberal values. Who would have thought?
Lust of a Gardener
I live in a Republican stronghold in Northern Ireland, I don't think I would be very pre-disposed to patriotism.

Surely NE is the most patriotic place in the UK? The loyalists are uber-patriotic towards Britain and the republicans towards the Irish republic.
Reply 96
Aeolus
I didn't know Scotland, or the Scottish people were no longer part of Great Britain.

Yes they are part of Britain... but then can you answer what does it really means to be British? (without a stupid answer of the type.. means being born in the UK)

Funny cause you got precisely the part that was commented by a famous English writer whose name i no longer remember. I knew i should have got quotes on that one. :wink:
Reply 97
Aeolus

And by the way just imagine the thing in my case. Portugal and Spain.

We actually go to Spain and we can speak Portuguese that Spanish people understand and vice-versa. Then if you would join Both countries together which also have similar but different culture and would make some acts and call it "Great Iberica". Create a flag for the union. Imagine then a Spanish ruling Portugal... We like our "hermanos" very much but that is just unthinkable.
Reply 98
xptos1
Yes they are part of Britain... but then can you answer what does it really means to be British? (without a stupid answer of the type.. means being born in the UK)

Funny cause you got precisely the part that was commented by a famous English writer whose name i no longer remember. I knew i should have got quotes on that one. :wink:

What are you talking about? You implied that the British were confused about their identity because they had a Scottish Prime Minister.

I pointed out that Scotland, and the Scottish are part of Great Britain and have been for over three hundred years. Nevermind what it means to be British. You were wrong.
ak56
The basic ethos of this site is that British patriotism is very negative, we should be ashamed of our behaviour, other cultures have every right to hate us and pick us up on our cultural short-comings, we have no right to critise foreigners because by default everything they do is better than us - they dress better than us, they are more intelligent than us, they are better looking than us, less sexually premocious, society has lower crime, blah blah blah.

I'm sure you don't care, but I have used this site for years, and I often have to take a break from posting because of the sheer liberal negativity and pompousness, and how quite frankly anti-British this site is, it sometimes does get really grating and depressing to read just how much of the country's youth seem to hate themselves and their culture.

I suspect 80% of you will eventually grow out of your stupid liberal, apologist, pompous views while the remaining 20% will become aging communists.

But to me, the sheer level of self-hatred towards your own identity of this website is highly depressing, and definitely goes against what would be considered natural self-preservation and self-respect.

:woo:

Damn straight, son!

Latest

Trending

Trending