Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What sort of things would you be doing in University and a job, Im pretty good at Chemistry (100% record in my GCSE's!) and I find it intersting.

Is it heavy math or something else?

From what I've seen by course structures and what students of it post on here it's more maths and physics than chemistry, and yes quite mathsy. Don't 100% take my words though

Yes it's very heavy on maths and then physics with only a small amount of chemistry so if you find Chemistry interesting I'd stick to a pure chemistry course because you're not going to do much actual chemistry. I have only done one 10 credit module (so one terms worth of 2 lectures a week) and that is it for this year and I don't see us doing any more than that if any at all in following years. The only time that chemistry really comes into it is physical chemistry such as thermodynamics etc but apart from that no chemistry really comes up even though you have to have done it at A level to get on the courses.

Right now I am doing a group project where we are designing a small plant to manufacture 50000 tons of acrylic acid in a year (I love this sort of thing, to me this is real Chem Eng!) There are many feasible designs but we want to find one that we believe will make our plant most profitable. It pulls together various courses and requires quite a bit of modelling in Excel and Maple/Matlab and energy and material balances (equations! maths!)

Just to give you a flavor of the type of stuff you will be doing/learning! I would argue it is much more practical than chemistry, though I do find some courses painfully theoretical and whilst interesting, I look back and wonder why that was compulsory to study. First year I learned quantum mechanics: uncertainy principle, schrodingers equation, particle in a box ... I really can't see why I need to know that as a chemical engineer. Not much chemistry, just need to be familiar with chemistry (in all honestly, any chemistry I have learned hasn't helped me a great deal more than the chemistry learned at A-Level). I guess for 'completion' we do learn things that may not be directly appilicable to us (again, mainly in first year) and we don't really use again.

Essentially a chemical engineer designs and improves the processes that convert raw materials into useful materials.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.