18.80%
    Tuition fees lowered
    24.06%
    Tuition fees scrapped and overall entry points increased
    23.31%
    Keep things as they are
    33.83%

ReputationRep:
    I am running a campaign against tuition fees for one of my modules at university, so i would like to get some views on the subject. If tuition fees were scrapped would universities be full of people who are there just for the sake of it, if you had to pay for college how many of you would have gone? If tuition fees were scrapped how would universities be funded? How do Scotland get around not paying tuition fees? Would you be in favour of tuition fees being scrapped or lowered?

Sorry for the long post but i would like some detailed responses.

Okay i'm adding a poll, so say which one you chose and why.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people are going to be in favour of them being lowered, but as you said would uni's be full of people who are there for the sake of it or because they really want to be....so something needs to be there so this doesn't happen.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd love to provide you with detailed responses, but I don't know what your question is. Tuition fees have to come from somewhere, otherwise universities wouldn't be funded. As I understand, the tuition fees for some students are subsidised by their respective governments, but it is entirely up to the government to decide whether they will bother and how much they will subsidise by (explaining why Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees at a lot of universities, why foreign students at UK universities have to pay a lot more than UK students, etc.). Universities would still require certain grades and so on even if tuition fees were scrapped. And if I had to pay out of my own pocket, I couldn't have gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I'd love to provide you with detailed responses, but I don't know what your question is. Tuition fees have to come from somewhere, otherwise universities wouldn't be funded. As I understand, the tuition fees for some students are subsidised by their respective governments, but it is entirely up to the government to decide whether they will bother and how much they will subsidise by (explaining why Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees at a lot of universities, why foreign students at UK universities have to pay a lot more than UK students, etc.). Universities would still require certain grades and so on even if tuition fees were scrapped. And if I had to pay out of my own pocket, I couldn't have gone.
    Okay i guess my question is would you be in favour of tuition fees being
    a - scrapped
    b - lowered
    c - kept the same
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ellingham)
    Okay i guess my question is would you be in favour of tuition fees being
    a - scrapped
    b - lowered
    c - kept the same
    I don't really want any of the above. Scrapping them is stupid, lowering them is unfeasible, and keeping them the same just makes me poorer. Tuition fees are a necessary evil, so I shall grin and bear them.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as free lunch. You can vote away tuition, but that doesn't make education free.

Edit: and you guys have it easy in Britain. In the US, the cost of my education is going to be roughly £125k before any sort of financial aid kicks in, and there's not very much financial aid to go around.

ReputationRep:
    What about if university was made free to students then later in life depending on your earnings you pay the university a sum of money

ReputationRep:
    lowering the cost of uni fees would increase supply of economics (or whatever subject) graduates. This means employers have a wider selection to chose from. Therefore, wages for that job role fall.
    theres a point of view to be observed from the employee and the employer.
    (costs of employment fall)

ReputationRep:
    All the people who want tuition fees scrapped: How are universities supposed to be funded? Pay the lecturers with IOUs?

ReputationRep:
    I am running a campaign against tuition fees for one of my modules at university, so i would like to get some views on the subject. If tuition fees were scrapped would universities be full of people who are there just for the sake of it, Yes, as supposedly you get a better job with a degree if you had to pay for college how many of you would have gone? I would have If tuition fees were scrapped how would universities be funded? Benefactors and fundraisers but some would go out of business as we dont tend to give our money away without being made to How do Scotland get around not paying tuition fees? government priorities Would you be in favour of tuition fees being scrapped or lowered? of course, i need money and am already in education, i wouldnt if i was say 15 cos unis would go out of business/be harder to get into

Sorry for the long post but i would like some detailed responses.

Okay i'm adding a poll, so say which one you chose and why.
    See above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    All the people who want tuition fees scrapped: How are universities supposed to be funded? Pay the lecturers with IOUs?
    That is what i want to know, i will be doing research into other ways to get them funded, i just thought i would make this thread to give me some idea of what people think

ReputationRep:
    kept the same because compared to fees in some other countries we have quite a bargain XD and I quite like paying for my education it takes most of the non-serious people out of the pool I suppose.

if you had to pay for college how many of you would have gone?
    I'm paying well over £2,000 for college this year so yes I would go.

ReputationRep:
    They should be lowered, yes.

ReputationRep:
    What about if university was made free to students then later in life depending on your earnings you pay the university a sum of money
    So you propose a system where:

• University is free at the point of use
    • You pay your tution fees later in life
    • You pay an amount that is based on your salary

How is that different from the current system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    So you propose a system where:

• University is free at the point of use
    • You pay your tution fees later in life
    • You pay an amount that is based on your salary

How is that different from the current system?
    Because a student has to take out near enough 10 grand to go to university, now say the degree he/she gets does not help him later in life and he/she does not end up with a high paying job he/she still has 10 grand plus any other loans he/she took out to get by. So the amount you pay to the university should be based on how it helps your employement/wages

I dont understand your last point surely that is the difference from the current system?

ReputationRep:
    Because a student has to take out near enough 10 grand to go to university, now say the degree he/she gets does not help him later in life and he/she does not end up with a high paying job he/she still has 10 grand plus any other loans he/she took out to get by. So the amount you pay to the university should be based on how it helps your employement/wages

I dont understand your last point surely that is the difference from the current system?
    :facepalm:

Don't you think you should find out what the current system is before you go on about how it should be fixed? :rofl:

This is how it works.

You don't pay anything to the university while you're there. You apply for a tuition fee loan which is paid directly to the university (you never see any of it).

You don't pay anything back until you're earning £15,000/year. Then, you pay 9% of anything you earn above £15,000.

If you never earn £15,000/year, then you never pay anything toward your degree.

Again: how is the system you propose different from this?

ReputationRep:

Thats in tuition fees only the majority of/average student takes out near enough 25/30 grand to go to university. Its far more accurate. And it already is based on wages - you have to earn over a certain amount to pay anything and then its proportionate in how much you earn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    Tuition fees were only introduced in Britain in the last decade, and many European countries do not charge tuition fees. Its called government, and a thing know as the 'right to free education'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    Tuition fees were only introduced in Britain in the last decade, and many European countries do not charge tuition fees. Its called government, and a thing know as the 'right to free education'.
    And where does this 'right' come from? Who gave you this right? What entitles you to it?

Your right to free education is just as real as my right to free ice cream. And my right to free holidays in the sun. And my right to free designer clothes.

And who do you think pays for it when the government pays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    :facepalm:

Don't you think you should find out what the current system is before you go on about how it should be fixed? :rofl:

This is how it works.

You don't pay anything to the university while you're there. You apply for a tuition fee loan which is paid directly to the university (you never see any of it).

You don't pay anything back until you're earning £15,000/year. Then, you pay 9% of anything you earn above £15,000.

If you never earn £15,000/year, then you never pay anything toward your degree.

Again: how is the system you propose different from this?
    You on crack? i am not one hard core campaigner to be honest i couldn't care less if there are tuition fees, no tuition fees i dont care, i needed to pick something to campaign against to get through this module and i chose scrapping tuition fees. People love to get high and mighty over the internet. But still thank you for enlightening me on how the system works i don't get the 9% thing, explain?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.