Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I like Evelyn Gardens quite a bit and will probably apply for accommodation there. However, I have some questions. I've been clicking around on the imperial website and the hall's own websites and I can't figure out why Fisher is cheaper than the others. I really want to see pictures of the rooms inside... I can only find a few pictures on the imperial website and these are limited. Most pictures on facebook are of pizza parties and other nonsense

Also what would people recommend. I want something under £130 squid (less is even better) and I want a nice big SINGLE room (no sharing)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Fisher is a bit shabbier than the others I think. Couldn't really etll you as I'm not in Evelyn Gardens myself, but as far as I know that's why. Not noticeably though.

Bear in mind you have limited control over what you get. There's a few on here who applied for all single rooms and ended up with a double.

And everyone's biased.

ReputationRep:
    Fisher has tiny rooms. Is quite shabby. I haven't been to the other Evelyn Garden Halls so I don't know how better they are...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Fisher is falling apart.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...a ceiling collapsed in a Fisher room last term (and as a result they made random ceiling checks on all the Evelyn gardens halls, even though Fisher is the only structurally unstable one) and apparantly people found mushrooms growing in their room when they moved in. Southwell ftw.

ReputationRep:
    And fisher used to be the only smoking hall before the smoking ban. People were smoking in rooms and hallways, awesome times . Most of my dodgy mates were from fisher. Should be a bit better nowadays though.

ReputationRep:
    People have forgot to mention though that Fisher is the most sociable hall at Imperial by far. The rooms are small and rubbish so people spend little time in them, hence you have a better time at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJaneGrey)
    Yeah...a ceiling collapsed in a Fisher room last term (and as a result they made random ceiling checks on all the Evelyn gardens halls, even though Fisher is the only structurally unstable one) and apparantly people found mushrooms growing in their room when they moved in. Southwell ftw.

Southwell is ok, however you can end up in one of the private accomm bits (house 52 etc) next to it which arent part of the main building and are rubbish... If you end up in one of them you have to go outside and walk along the road and then go back inside to go the common room. Hence u make fewer friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomas49th)
    Hi, I like Evelyn Gardens quite a bit and will probably apply for accommodation there. However, I have some questions. I've been clicking around on the imperial website and the hall's own websites and I can't figure out why Fisher is cheaper than the others. I really want to see pictures of the rooms inside... I can only find a few pictures on the imperial website and these are limited. Most pictures on facebook are of pizza parties and other nonsense

Also what would people recommend. I want something under £130 squid (less is even better) and I want a nice big SINGLE room (no sharing)

Thanks
    Fisher rooms are small but at least you'll be almost guaranteed a single room, which for most people is really important. Fisher has like 90 single rooms so if you apply there you will almost certainly get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeSkywalker)
    Southwell is ok, however you can end up in one of the private accomm bits (house 52 etc) next to it which arent part of the main building and are rubbish... If you end up in one of them you have to go outside and walk along the road and then go back inside to go the common room. Hence u make fewer friends.
    Oh yeah...I forgot about that. That's a very fair point. Also the colour they chose to paint the walls in 52 is hideous :p:

ReputationRep:
    hang on a second I thought that you don't HAVE to share if you don't want to. I mean you can select a "no sharey" option on your accomidation application, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeSkywalker)
    yeah i noticed when I to have a look around that there is a there is a chain of houses that belong to the same accommodation hall, but with a house in the middle of them divides them up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomas49th)
    hang on a second I thought that you don't HAVE to share if you don't want to. I mean you can select a "no sharey" option on your accomidation application, right?
    Well when I applied you can indicate whether room type is more important to you (single, double etc) or room cost. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll get either :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyJaneGrey)
    ... even though Fisher is the only structurally unstable one)
    Apparently not, a friend of mine had her roof collapse in Holbein and got moved to Fisher.

ReputationRep:
    Um, to give you an idea, if you're standing in a Fisher single room and stretch both your arms out to the sides, you'll cover the width of the room, just about. No joke.

And yes, Southwell ftw

ReputationRep:
    I have been in Evelyn Gardens for 2 years now and people always make fun of Fisher due to reasons mentioned above. I would say to choose Southwell but then thats prob abit higher than the price range you mentioned.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.