Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've applied for Economics and Geography, at St.Andrews and Durham.
    I was hoping you could guys could help me decide which of the two universities to go to.

What do you guys consider the better university? How have your experiences been with the Economics and Geography departments at St.Andrews or Durham, and the university in general?

Finally, which university would give me the better prospect in pursuing a masters degree, in places like LSE, Oxbridge etc?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    durham sounds better to me :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wheyninja)
    Hey,

I was hoping you could guys could help me decide which of the two universities to go to.

What do you guys consider the better university? How have your experiences been with the Economics and Geography departments at St.Andrews or Durham, and the university in general?

Finally, which university would give me the better prospect in pursuing a masters degree, in places like LSE, Oxbridge etc?

Thank you!
    In terms of economics:
    i) Both St Andrews and Durham are well respected (not just in the newspaper league tables but also in TAELT).
    ii) And both are good prep for doing a masters at a top 5 uni.

Have you got offers at any other unis?

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews because it is the best for Geography in Scotland.

Durham is still good though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wheyninja)
    Hey,

Thank you!
    Durham has one of the best Geog depts in the entire country

ReputationRep:
    I have to get a B at Advanced Higher to get into St Andrews University, but AAB to get into Durham university.

Is Durham University worth the extra effort?:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem!!

Durham or St Andrews for Chemistry!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daviid02)
    I have to get a B at Advanced Higher to get into St Andrews University, but AAB to get into Durham university.

Is Durham University worth the extra effort?:woo:
    it depends on the subject. if you are applying for, say, IR or management/business related degrees, i'd go for st andrews. on the other hand, durham is probably better for other subects (e.g. law). then, they are both excellent universities!

ReputationRep:
    Its for Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    On this one I'd say go to wherever you feel you'd be more comfortable living in. My cousin had the same dilemma and went to Durham and was very, very happy with her decision! However, I'm a St Andrews graduate myself and loved every minute of my 4 years there. It's all down to personal preference Try visiting the places if you can/haven't yet and get a feel for them.

ReputationRep:
    Well i think according to league tables durham is a better bet for both geography and chemistry, but then who believes league tables anyway?
    St andrews is cheaper (i think?), but durham is really nice: it comes down to which course and which uni you like the best, i reckon
    x

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.