Turn on thread page Beta

"The idiot box" - a justified label? watch

• View Poll Results: "The idiot box" - a justified label?
    Yes
    52.00%
    No
    48.00%

ReputationRep:
    To be frank, I have come to think increasingly that television is, on the whole, simply a vent for the uneducated. The amount of total ***** you find on the box these days is so incredibly blatant, so much that I don't even watch TV any more. The main "culprits" undoubtedly being trashy soaps. Without intending to sound superior or arrogant, it's fairly obvious that the likes of Coronation Street and Eastenders are nothing but fodder for proles and chavs. Fair enough, I'm thoroughly willing to accept that the odd educated person will happily watch one of these programmes. But their being educated still doesn't alter the sheer trashiness of the content that is, undoubtedly, meant for those with limited cognitive capacity. And if this wasn't enough, you get the ******** of X-Factor and BGT. Again, I concede that they can be quite enjoyable - and that they're not solely viewed by those with small brains - but, again, the simple fact remains that anyone with a brain cell could understand it. And if that wasn't bad enough, when, finally, some sort of complicated and interesting programme with a decent plotline comes onto our screens (such as Life on Mars), I constantly hear people winge because they find it "too difficult to understand" (:dunce:). I say that the high-minded minority of us in society have been forgotten about, and cast aside so that greedy media moguls can make money through satisfying the tiny minds of the British public.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The Jeremy Kyle show is on TV therefore the TV must be the idiot box.

/irrefuteable logic

ReputationRep:
    What about stuff like Lark Rise to Candleford, Garrow's Law, Agnatha Christie dramas, the Discovery Channel, BBC 4 etc?

ReputationRep:
    But, but.. University Challenge!

:work:

ReputationRep:
    Watching television is an activity which people find enjoyable, like sports and masturbation. Maybe they could spend their time more productively reading Russian literature or finding out what makes them want to live. But in the end the main purpose of life is to be happy and if watching Simon Cowell on Saturday evening makes someone happy, then i'm fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    To be frank, I have come to think increasingly that television is, on the whole, simply a vent for the uneducated. The amount of total ***** you find on the box these days is so incredibly blatant, so much that I don't even watch TV any more. The main "culprits" undoubtedly being trashy soaps. Without intending to sound superior or arrogant, it's fairly obvious that the likes of Coronation Street and Eastenders are nothing but fodder for proles and chavs. Fair enough, I'm thoroughly willing to accept that the odd educated person will happily watch one of these programmes. But their being educated still doesn't alter the sheer trashiness of the content that is, undoubtedly, meant for those with limited cognitive capacity. And if this wasn't enough, you get the ******** of X-Factor and BGT. Again, I concede that they can be quite enjoyable - and that they're not solely viewed by those with small brains - but, again, the simple fact remains that anyone with a brain cell could understand it. And if that wasn't bad enough, when, finally, some sort of complicated and interesting programme with a decent plotline comes onto our screens (such as Life on Mars), I constantly hear people winge because they find it "too difficult to understand" (:dunce:). I say that the high-minded minority of us in society have been forgotten about, and cast aside so that greedy media moguls can make money through satisfying the tiny minds of the British public.

Discuss.
    Do you watch Silent Witness? I think you'd enjoy it.

ReputationRep:

Documentaries? Life? QI? Dare I say *Doctor Who*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Yes. The Jeremy Kyle show is on TV therefore the TV must be the idiot box.

/irrefuteable logic
    Ah... but Jeremy kyle is also in real life so therefore reality is an idiot box :rolleyes:
    /logic crumbles and dies

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed, so far that ALL of the programmes that people have derided are on ITV, yet all the programmes praised in this thread are on the BBC or other non-ITV channels.

Shouldn't we just be calling it "the box with an idiotic channel" (in reference to ITV)?

ReputationRep:
    I watch eastenders occasionally. Guess I'm an idiot :eek:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think a lot of tv is a waste of time...but on the other hand if you're more interested in bettering your mind and other pursuits surely you'll spend less time watching tv? :dontknow: There's no point putting on intellectually stimulating shows 24/7 for people who are only going to find time to watch tv for half an hour every now and then...so understandably tv is 90% cheap to make rubbish and only a small proportion of shows are made for other audiences.
    And to be honest I wouldn't want to make watching tv a habit...it's the sort of thing you do when you're tired or ill and don't want to think for a little while, so kids tv and mindless rubbish are a godsend...ok so I do like to get some diagnosis murder in during the week...but it's a funny show :giggle: makes me laugh
    As for Eastenders and Corrie I really couldn't stand to watch either...but that's personal taste :erm: my dad loves them though...
    So in summary 'The Idiot Box' is a justified label, most of the time...but it's probably best that way.

ReputationRep:
    ITV does churn out some gormless ****.

ReputationRep:
    Piers Morgan...makes me want to gorge my eyes out and pierce my ear drums. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I do occasionally manage to find interesting programs, but my family watch trash most evenings. I actually feel guilty for receding to my room when I am home, rather than spending the time with my family, but I can't stand the inane drivel. Given the option I would be pleased to sell the television.

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally master pieces are created. Life on Mars is a prime example. Yeah but mostly crap, that's the problem with the free market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Ah... but Jeremy kyle is also in real life so therefore reality is an idiot box :rolleyes:
    /logic crumbles and dies
    Nooooooooooooooo*disappears*

ReputationRep:
    it's the same as any other media, though

just as there's TV for morons, there's music for morons, there's films for morons and there's books for morons. you just have to wade your way through the crap in each case

ReputationRep:
    What about the news? Being able to see pictures from disaster zones or atrocities, or exotic and inspirational places?

Some newspapers and magazines are **** and I don't like them, but that doesn't mean I think all the printing press is retarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)

Discuss.
    Do you try to do something intellectual every second of your life? I like to switch off and do something brainless every once in a while, like shout at a tv over a football match or pretend to be an assassin on the xbox. Sometimes it helps me unwind, it doesn't make a person any less intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    There are some good programs on, but then you get reality tv, 99.9% of which is completely moronic and when it doesn't involve silly members of the public it involves people classed as "celebrities." But that's a word used in the loosest possible fashion.

So sometimes that phrase does suit yes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.