A levels for Psychology degree? Watch

hyper-maniac92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
im currently taking biology sociology and law and want to do a Bsc in psychology when i apply to uni for 2011. the problem is most of the places i want to go to want grades between ABB-AAB which makes me have doubts as im currently predicted a D in biology and in sociology and law im only currently sitting on a B grade. but i really want to go to surrey university or royal holloway. also my GCSES arent that great either with only 5 A-Cs.

C - english lang B - english lit
D - maths (currently retaking)
C- biology and D in physics and chemistry
D- drama
A - Sociology
C - ICT

do i have any chance of getting into university with these sorts of grades or do universities not normally care about GCSES? also how can i make sure i get at least a ABB in a level?
truthandtragedy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Work your arse off.
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Your options are:
1. Get ABB+
2. Go to unis that ask for less.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Look at it this way: if you manage to pull off the grades you require for those univerisities, they will probably be impressed by your improvement between GCSE and A-level if anything. You will need a C or above in Maths GCSE.

As far as I'm aware there is a certain amount of stats in Psychology as with any BSc. You'll need to demonstrate the ability to draw conclusions from data you collect in experiments, and the better you can do in Maths the better your chances will be.

You can do a lot between year 11 and the end of year 13. I went from AACC at AS to ABB at A2 - and I dropped one of my A-grade subjects because it was Art - but you do have to work hard to achieve that. The teachers didn't think I'd pull it off, but they don't know everything.
bruce_t89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You will need B/C in GCSE Maths and English to get into the top unis. Apart from that they don't really care too much about GCSEs.

If you want to achieve ABB then time management is critical. Create a revision timetable and try to stick with it. Believe me, this will definitely help you. And also, believe that you can achieve those grades.

Good luck with your studies!
Polly1101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Op, i got an E in my alevel january exams for biology and realised i really had to up my game.
i spent the Easter at Oxford School of Sciences doing an intense revision course for biology and i got an A in the end, after being told by my biology teacher that it was practically impossible unless i got nearly full marks (as previously i had got B's and C's in my modules).
i would recommend it down to the ground, it is £800 ish though so depends how much you want to do well, however don't expect them to hand you the knowledge on a plate, you still have to learn and revise! if you have anymore questions about it just PM me or quote me!

(i have found biology a very useful alevel to have for psychology as it is pretty science based at Cardiff, so make sure you are confident that you can handle the biology before applying to a uni that has a strong science emphasis).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads