Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to do a BA in Photography and then do the conversion course in Law if I got a 2:1 or above?

I'm aware photography isn't respected. I'm having real problems making my mind up about my degree. Art and photography is something I have always really loved. I took all academic A levels and avoided doing what I enjoyed most because I thought that'd make me have better career prospects. But I keep aching to go back to art/photography.

Please quote me, thank you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There's certainly no rule which will prevent you from doing the GDL with a degree in Photography but your prospects afterwards may be a little restricted. If you want to do the GDL with a view to becoming a lawyer then it would be advisable for you to take a more "traditional" degree. But then you also want to do a degree for the right reasons too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    There's certainly no rule which will prevent you from doing the GDL with a degree in Photography but your prospects afterwards may be a little restricted. If you want to do the GDL with a view to becoming a lawyer then it would be advisable for you to take a more "traditional" degree. But then you also want to do a degree for the right reasons too.
    Yea, that makes sense, thank you. I can see why it'd probably be hard to get a job afterward, I'm trying to steer away from this arty idea and just do LLB Law because I think i'd be better off in the end!
    It's difficult.

Would having a degree in Photog affect my chances when applying for the GDL?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Would having a degree in Photog affect my chances when applying for the GDL?
    I wouldn't suspect so. It can be wholly self-funded.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.
    Now I just don't know what to do about the whole thing, haha.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Okay.
    Now I just don't know what to do about the whole thing, haha.
    Just bear in mind that you generally embark upon the GDL with a view to practising law and that, objectively, a degree in something like History would be much more beneficial. Having said that, I would strongly advise that you study something which you'll enjoy. The average person changes their career 10 times in their lifetime. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to incrust myself here and say congrats on becoming a mod. :ninja:

Sod.

ReputationRep:
    Just bear in mind that you generally embark upon the GDL with a view to practising law and that, objectively, a degree in something like History would be much more beneficial. Having said that, I would strongly advise that you study something which you'll enjoy. The average person changes their career 10 times in their lifetime. :p:

It's not surprising!

My top three degrees would be : Law, History, Photography
    So I think if the photography degree is definitely going to make it hard for me, i'm betting off just doing law.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    I'm going to incrust myself here and say congrats on becoming a mod. :ninja:

Sod.
    Thank you, PS. And at the risk of spamming I'll say no more. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest going for photography, its not like its some horribly unemployable subject thatll leave you on the dole as soon as you graduate. If it's something you have a genuine passion for and are skilled at, why not go for it? I know a lot of students who've gone off to university to do subjects they didnt really care for and have ended up being miserable(hopefully I wont be one of them). You only go around once, why spend that time doing something you dislike?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nahdrav)
    I would suggest going for photography, its not like its some horribly unemployable subject thatll leave you on the dole as soon as you graduate. If it's something you have a genuine passion for and are skilled at, why not go for it? I know a lot of students who've gone off to university to do subjects they didnt really care for and have ended up being miserable(hopefully I wont be one of them). You only go around once, why spend that time doing something you dislike?
    Thanks for the input.
    I actually don't know the graduate prospects for art/photography subjects. Do you know where I might be able to find something on that?

I do believe I would enjoy law but photography has certainly been my passion for much longer and I know it 's something I can do. So with law it's more taking the risk I might not enjoy the degree (I know far too many people who dropped out of law.)

ReputationRep:
    If you have any interest in becoming a lawyer, don't do a degree in photography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    If you have any interest in becoming a lawyer, don't do a degree in photography.
    Hmmmm. is it really that much of a bad idea, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Thanks for the input.
    I actually don't know the graduate prospects for art/photography subjects. Do you know where I might be able to find something on that?

I do believe I would enjoy law but photography has certainly been my passion for much longer and I know it 's something I can do. So with law it's more taking the risk I might not enjoy the degree (I know far too many people who dropped out of law.)
    Fraid not,youre the one with all the photography skills though, why not ask some local professional photographers what the employment prospects are like? Chances are theyll be more informed about the topic than any website anyhow.

If art is something you have a genuine interest in, why not pursue that dream? If youre good at something, regardless of what that something is, you shouldnt have any difficulty finding worthwhile employment. Granted an LLB may open more doors than a degree in arts, but if you want to be an artist, and if you think youre good enough to take that gamble, I say go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nahdrav)
    Fraid not,youre the one with all the photography skills though, why not ask some local professional photographers what the employment prospects are like? Chances are theyll be more informed about the topic than any website anyhow.

If art is something you have a genuine interest in, why not pursue that dream? If youre good at something, regardless of what that something is, you shouldnt have any difficulty finding worthwhile employment. Granted an LLB may open more doors than a degree in arts, but if you want to be an artist, and if you think youre good enough to take that gamble, I say go for it
    Ta.
    I'm not sure what I want to be, I just want to do something I enjoy and see where it takes me, really.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVx-D...rom=PL&index=2

ReputationRep:

i can see I've got lots of thinking to do..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.