Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Next week, I have an ML interview at UCL for French & Spanish. When it comes to speaking the languages in the interview, what sort of things should I expect to be asked? The email also states that the process begins at 1pm and shouldn't run past 5pm - will I be given an 'appointment' time upon arrival, or will I have to sit and wait for 4 hours?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompon92)
    Next week, I have an ML interview at UCL for French & Spanish. When it comes to speaking the languages in the interview, what sort of things should I expect to be asked? The email also states that the process begins at 1pm and shouldn't run past 5pm - will I be given an 'appointment' time upon arrival, or will I have to sit and wait for 4 hours?
    Thanks
    Basically, you get there and then they give you a tour of the uni, which is followed by snacks and what have you. Then they take you to a room and then each person is called for their individual interview... I applied for German... I was basically asked about the time I had spent in the country, a bit about the books I spoke about in my PS... Let me know if you have any questions...

ReputationRep:
    You get a big old tour of college. You will then wait for no longer than half an hour to have an interview with two people in there (one for each language you're studying, I'm doing French and Spanish as well). This will all happen in the afternoon.

To make headway, you could read and/or chat about books/poetry/films you might be studying. In French we did:

Marie de France, Lais; Essais (Des Cannibales), Michel de Montaigne; Phedre, Racine; a big book of C19 poetry; La symphonie pastorale, André Gide.

In Spanish it was: La frontera (a film by Ricardo Larrain); Miguel de Cervantes, Novelas Ejemplares I; La ardilla roja (a film by Julio Medem); José Hernandez, Martin Fierro; Benito Perez Galdos, Marianela.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Hi there,
    First of all - congratulations!!
    I have applied for Modern Languages as well (German and Italian) May I ask you, when did you apply and how long did it take for them to give you an answer? Thanks a lot and good luck with your interview!

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, I'd better start reading So far, I've only read:

- Requiem por un campesino español (Sender)
    - La casa de Bernarda Alba / Yerma / Bodas de sangre (Lorca)

- Madame Bovary (Flaubert)
    - Tartuffe (Molière)

Should I perhaps read more? Literature's not really my thing in any language, I'm hoping that there won't be too much emphasis on it as part of the course

(Original post by coolguy91)
    Hi there,
    First of all - congratulations!!
    I have applied for Modern Languages as well (German and Italian) May I ask you, when did you apply and how long did it take for them to give you an answer? Thanks a lot and good luck with your interview!
    Well done to you, too!
    My UCAS *finally* got sent on 1st December, and the interview email came on the 25th January - pretty quick if you ask me

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, I'd better start reading So far, I've only read:

- Requiem por un campesino español (Sender)
    - La casa de Bernarda Alba / Yerma / Bodas de sangre (Lorca)

- Madame Bovary (Flaubert)
    - Tartuffe (Molière)

Should I perhaps read more? Literature's not really my thing in any language, I'm hoping that there won't be too much emphasis on it as part of the course
    That's absolutely fine, as long as you can talk about them. Tartuffe is a fantastic play and there's loads to be said about it. Bodas is one of my favourite as well.

ReputationRep:
    I also love a bit of Lorca myself, I must say.
    Well, that's reassuring - as long as they don't grill me to death, I'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Is yours on the 24th?? if so... then see you there

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview for French and German on the 10th next week. After having read this I am verrrrry scared.... I've never read any literature in French or German....should I have done? It's not on my course!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for French and Italian (ab initio) on February 10th.
    What sort of things will they ask me about in the French language? And how capable will they be expexcting you to be?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!

It's really nothing to worry about, i had mine for German the week before christmas. The interview was heavily PS-based so make sure you know it inside out and are able to talk about all the films/books you have studied. As for the spoken bit, really dont worry! If it's anything to go by i was only asked about the last time i went to Germany, i didn't say anything particularly complex or impressive and it only lasted about a minute!

The only down side is when i went they weren't offering tours, and if you later on in the session you may end up sitting around for a couple of hours! Seriously, don't worry though, you'll do fine!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...that's some comfort =)
    On a positive note they are holding tours this time so it'll be good to have a break before/after my interview!
    Did you get an offer? How long did it take after the interview?

ReputationRep:
    Yep i did get an offer- ABB =]
    They said at the end of the interview session bit that they hope to let people know about acceptace/rejections within a week - i got an informal letter exactly a week after telling me they were going to give me an offer and the UCAS was updated after about a week and a half =]

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview for French and Spanish on 9th of December and I still haven't heard back. The day began at 1 when there was a short talk, and you were told when you had an interview. Because there were lots of us, we were only interviewed by one department (it was the French one for the French and Spanish people). We had a short talk by the Spanish dep, and then went and sat in a room were there was biscuits etc. I had an interview with one person (who I really didn't get on with) who didn't seem to have read my PS until I came into the room and was just asking me really basic questions like what are we studying in class. I had to talk for a while in French about Moliere (our set text) and then it was really strange because he asked me whether I had read anything modern (most of what I have read is older eg Flaubert, Laclos) and I talked about a novella by Amelie Nothomb which was alright. Then he asked me whether I had read L'Etranger by Albert Camus, and I said that I had but it was three years ago and so I didn't remember it well ( I hadn't mentioned it on PS or anything). He kept asking me all these specific questions about it... and I didn't really understand why. Also, we had a 15 minute grammar test for the Spanish department as we weren't being interviewed, which was alright - tenses, subjunctive etc and a few things like pronouns.

All in all, it wasn't a great experience, and compared to my Oxford interviews I felt really negative about it. I just wish they would hurry up and send a rejection now. I expected that like zappy2005 i would hear soon after, but it has been three months. Who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that sounds pretty harsh! Most people on hear have told me of good experiences when being interviewed at UCL, and commented on the relative ease of the questions. I won't mind talking about books but I actually much prefer French film, probably because I'm a bit of a drama-bee =)

Congrats on your offer from Oxford by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbylicious)
    Wow that sounds pretty harsh! Most people on hear have told me of good experiences when being interviewed at UCL, and commented on the relative ease of the questions. I won't mind talking about books but I actually much prefer French film, probably because I'm a bit of a drama-bee =)

Congrats on your offer from Oxford by the way.
    Yeah.. I think it may have been my interviewer. He was a bit weird and other people on the day said that their interviewers were really nice and friendly. Everyone's interviews seemed so different it was hard to tell how much importance they held - surely if they were the be all and end all there would be a more uniform structure. Oh I don't know. The questions were not generally hard, I was just confused as to why he was asking me about a book I wasn't prepared to talk about, and that by self-admission I did not remember much about. I mean it is not as if L'Etranger is particularly original or anything...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    In that case, if they ask me about a book I've read but can't remember, I think I will just tell them I haven't read it! =)

ReputationRep:
    Is yours on the 24th?? if so... then see you there
    Unfortunately not, it's tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Good luck then and don't forget to write how was it

ReputationRep:
    Good luck then and don't forget to write how was it
    Well, it went absolutely fine at first, I was just asked the usual "Why UCL?" and "Why modern languages?" - then she moved onto my personal statement and started asking me about literature. Again, fine. Then I was asked one question in French about women's roles in literature, and whether they were significant. Uh oh, I just spouted some crap about homosexual authors. Then she just moved back to English and asked if I had any questions

They only interviewed me in French/English, but we were given 15 minutes to translate 5 sentences from English > Spanish.

All in all, a good day. Just be aware that whatever's on your PS, they'll probably ask you about it. The interviewer'll also pick up on anything you casually mention; I was asked to describe the evolution of the English language just because I mentioned that grammar's interesting

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.