Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the info hope you're gonna get an offer! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompon92)
    Well, it went absolutely fine at first, I was just asked the usual "Why UCL?" and "Why modern languages?" - then she moved onto my personal statement and started asking me about literature. Again, fine. Then I was asked one question in French about women's roles in literature, and whether they were significant. Uh oh, I just spouted some crap about homosexual authors. Then she just moved back to English and asked if I had any questions

They only interviewed me in French/English, but we were given 15 minutes to translate 5 sentences from English > Spanish.

All in all, a good day. Just be aware that whatever's on your PS, they'll probably ask you about it. The interviewer'll also pick up on anything you casually mention; I was asked to describe the evolution of the English language just because I mentioned that grammar's interesting
    You got asked questions in French?
    I was interviewed on 10th Feb for French and Italian and all of the people who applied for the same as me only got interviewed by the Italian department (in English for beginners)...we didn't get asked anything in French, just went to a presentation from the department.
    How strange =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    Basically, you get there and then they give you a tour of the uni, which is followed by snacks and what have you. Then they take you to a room and then each person is called for their individual interview... I applied for German... I was basically asked about the time I had spent in the country, a bit about the books I spoke about in my PS... Let me know if you have any questions...
    Do you still do Russian as well? I thought you'd dropped it, but I think I saw you in SSEES the other day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Do you still do Russian as well? I thought you'd dropped it, but I think I saw you in SSEES the other day.
    I did drop it! I couldn't hack it... I'm far to lazy LOL... I do one module at SSEES, so I'm still around there sometimes! How's your course going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    I did drop it! I couldn't hack it... I'm far to lazy LOL... I do one module at SSEES, so I'm still around there sometimes! How's your course going?
    Haha ohh. The course is going much better than at first! I thought I was going to die in like the first six weeks but I think everyone finds it much better now. Still a lot of work though, *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbylicious)
    You got asked questions in French?
    I was interviewed on 10th Feb for French and Italian and all of the people who applied for the same as me only got interviewed by the Italian department (in English for beginners)...we didn't get asked anything in French, just went to a presentation from the department.
    How strange =)
    You wouldn't have been asked questions in French by the Italian department - it was because they were interviewed by the French dep. When I had my interview, it was by the French dep, although I was applying for French and Spanish, I was only asked questions about French, and one general one about why UCL.

ReputationRep:
    You get interviewed by whichever department becomes your "home" department. Hence why people studying French and Italian only usually have an interview in the Italian department. Normally, you'll have an interview in the home department and a simple presentation from the other, although if you're studying the second language post a-level you might have a test of some kind.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I had my interview on the 24th and it was rather stressful therefore basically I don't think I did very well... bur how long do you on average have to wait for them to reply after an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy91)
    Hello,

I had my interview on the 24th and it was rather stressful therefore basically I don't think I did very well... bur how long do you on average have to wait for them to reply after an interview?
    I had my interview on the same day as you and got a letter back on monday.
    What did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    German and Italian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy91)
    German and Italian
    I applied for italian and heard back quick, and someone I know applied to Italian and got a letter the week after.

Were you interviewed by the german or Italian department? Because maybe the Italian dept. is quicker than others to reply.

But good luck

ReputationRep:
    I was interviewed by the German one as this is supposed to be my home department A friend of mine applied for Scandinavian Studies which is in the same building and she didn't hear anything either so maybe they are just slower than others...hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I still haven't heard anything, it's been almost 4 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to scare you, but sometimes universities hold on to some applications right until the end of the application process. It's usually when you apply early and they aren't 100% sure whether to give an offer or not, so want to wait to compare you to later applicants. You should hear by the end of the month, according to UCAS, I think?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.