Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

After receiving an offer (CRB, Immunisations, and so on). watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do you apply for a CRB check, and how long does this take?

What are you immunised from and how long does this take?

This is all really presumptious, sorry, but if I am outta' the country from mid March until mid June will I be unable to do certain things, or can everything be done before I go abroad? SO presumptious, I'm just bored and interested in application err... "logistics". :o:

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You need to get immunized against hepatitis B, which is 3 shots over 6 months or something like that.

For CRB you need sign some kind of a consent form and the uni takes it from there.

ReputationRep:
    Is the Hep B immunisation taken before or after you start medical school, though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMJBGBWC)
    Is the Hep B immunisation taken before or after you start medical school, though?
    you need to do nothing except fill out forms which they will send you.. sit back and relax

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's (Sheffield, I seem to recall....) wanted you to have your Hep B vacc completed before you arrive in September.

ReputationRep:
    If your GP will do them for free then id start now as the results of the blood test can take a while to come back aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Some uni's (Sheffield, I seem to recall....) wanted you to have your Hep B vacc completed before you arrive in September.
    Some also say that you cant do certain parts of the course until yu get to the required amount of antibodys etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Megatron)
    Some also say that you cant do certain parts of the course until yu get to the required amount of antibodys etc...
    Well there's no point in being stabbed multiple times if it doesn't confer some immunity... However, in my experience, if you fall below the Ab threshold, you get a booster but no retest.

ReputationRep:
    Well there's no point in being stabbed multiple times if it doesn't confer some immunity... However, in my experience, if you fall below the Ab threshold, you get a booster but no retest.
    so does that mean b4 you start (any) med school, you are required to have a blood test??

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i know mine wasnt for medical school but when i had the intial course and it was below the threshold I had a booster then a retest so it might variy by trusts or something :confused:

ReputationRep:
    CRB - the uni will send you a form which you will need to fill out. you will need your name address, NI number and the addresses of all the places you have lived within the last 5 years (with post codes and dates). then this will be sent back to the uni and they will fill in thier sections. then it will be sent to the CRB. it cost £32 but i think the uni pay that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    CRB - the uni will send you a form which you will need to fill out. you will need your name address, NI number and the addresses of all the places you have lived within the last 5 years (with post codes and dates). then this will be sent back to the uni and they will fill in thier sections. then it will be sent to the CRB. it cost £32 but i think the uni pay that
    Or it'll cost you ~£20 in Scotland, and it'll come out of your own pocket.

(Original post by hungryhippo)
    so does that mean b4 you start (any) med school, you are required to have a blood test??
    Depends on the medical school. Some want you to produce the lab report from your blood test saying that you're immune, some will refuse to accept another Trust's opinion and do it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I asked my GP practice to do the Hep B immunisations as it says you have to have done them for Birmingham medical school but they refused, saying it's the reponsibility of the medical school to do this and it comes under the heading of occupational health.

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    You may as well start your immunisations now, as they're free and probably easier to get at home. I'm at Bristol though, and quite a few people I know didn't start until they got to uni and that was fine. EVERYONE should have a blood test when they go to medical school to check for hep B immunity and other blood bourne infections like HIV. They also check for other immunisations like TB and MMR as you need to have these done before you're allowed on hospital placements.

As for the CRB this should be done when you get to uni and they should pay for it. Don't forget to take enough ID! And if you want to take your driving licence to use for it, then you need the paper part as well.

ReputationRep:
    Went to my GP and asked the nurse:

She said they only give it to people who are going on holiday and plus they charge £30 per shot. So she said it would be worth checking with the OH department of the medical school if they can do it, as it might be free.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people didn't have Hep B until they arrives and we're getting them free through the university. Some people had it already, and they just went straight for the blood test. As far as I'm aware not starting it until Uni isn't actually going to stop me from doing anything, though this would obviously vary from Uni to Uni.

On the other hand though, at Leicester we had to pay £30 for our CRB checks. :P It was pretty annoying as I'd only had one quite recently, but it wasn't valid because it was through being a Young Leader rather than as a Med Student. Guh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylophonefairy)

On the other hand though, at Leicester we had to pay £30 for our CRB checks. :P It was pretty annoying as I'd only had one quite recently, but it wasn't valid because it was through being a Young Leader rather than as a Med Student. Guh.
    The CRB only counting for one role really annoys me. At one point I had 4 - for medical school, for being a Guide Leader, for being in the university scout and guide club (which is also affiliated with the Scout Association so needs a separate one) and for Red Cross! Big waste of time and money.

As for Hep B, some universities will require that you have it done, or at least have had the first 2 jabs, before you start. They will send you information telling you exactly what is required, so don't stress too much. You may end up having to fork out for it though.

ReputationRep:
    Most GP's will supply the jab privately, up to a cost of around £200. Uni's won't take responsibility for you til you get there, cos they don't want to pay for your jabs and then you miss your grades.

As for the person who said CRB was done at uni, you quite clearly need it before you get there to ensure they aren't taking on people with current convictions, etc.

ReputationRep:
    do you know when these forms will be delivered to offer holders (conditional on health&crb)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vutterman)
    do you know when these forms will be delivered to offer holders (conditional on health&crb)
    I'm a Nottingham GEM student, but I would imagine that things are pretty similar in most places - The CRB form was in the interview invite pack, I had to fill it out and give it in at the interview and they sent it off once I had firmed. Hep B stuff I can't help with as I had mine years ago for my lab job, but if you are really concerned about it then try digging around on the med school websites (there is usually something about whether you need to be fully immunised before you start). If that doesn't find anything then just phone the uni up and ask.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.