Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I left school a year early due to illness and retook at college when I was 17. (spent a year on a vocational and personal skills developement course lol no formal qualifications)

On my retakes I got A* for Bio, Chem and Maths. Bs for English Language and English Literature. I also got a pass for my level 2 key skills in ICT. I am taking another GCSE (Physics) this year and I am predicted A*.

For AS my predicted grades are Chemistry A and A/B for Biology, ICT and Maths.

I want to apply for Chemistry at University. I may be thinking about it a little early but I think the Cambridge course is excellent, the Durham course is just excellent. Imperial College has a more direct course but it is close by so it has attraction, then i'm thinking York and Warwick. These are all top 10 for Chemistry. Obviously if I mess up my AS then my choices will change but assuming I get As this will be my ideal setup.

My question is do you think this is possible, assuming my A Levels are As, with so few GCSEs and the Bs in English.

A*AA for Cambridge, AAA for Imperial, AAB for Durham, BBB for York (backup), ABB for Warwick. It seems like a good spread to me, maybe i'm just going about this all wrong. Any advice? other than focus on it next year lol.

ReputationRep:
    When you're looking into Cambridge, do take a look at the CSAS so that they take into account your year out and GCSEs. Also, you'll want to get really high UMS marks wherever possible. I've also been told that for NatSci at Cambridge, Further Maths can look good, so I don't know if picking that up next year is an option for you? Other than that, you seem to have a nice spread of grades, and shouldn't have too many problems as long as your AS levels and A2 predictions are high enough and your school explains your situation regarding your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Well I did email Trinity College about my GCSEs and they said that it would be fine as long as I could explain sufficiently. I have been trying to pick more up lol, yea I did Further Maths this year for about a month but I had to drop it to Pick up GCSE Physics because that is required at virtually every university for Chemistry. I probably should have dropped ICT but I didn't want to give myself too much work. I am thinking about picking up Further Maths next year because I've already had half the teaching for the two january units at our college. So Bio, Chem, Maths A2 and Further Maths AS. seems alright. Yea I am also the first person in my family to go to university so I think I can apply via CSAS. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the feedback.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.